It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

I know we’ve all been resisting making this thread, but it’s time. After the Dems 2019 thread has been taken over by the 2020 runs of Howard Schultz and Kamala Harris the last few days, I figured we’d better bite the bullet and get this thing going.

Want to talk about non-Presidential 2020 elections? We got a thread for that.

OK, here’s where we start: The Countdown (15444 hours as of this posting!)

I’m not excited over any of the current crop of declared candidates, but then again, that’s par for the course since I started voting (with the exception of Al Gore.) I do like Sen.Merkley (OR) and Gov. Inslee (WA), but there’s no chance they gain any traction. I wish Tester (MT) would run but doesn’t look like he will.

Harris is clearly going to be a front runner, but I have no sense who will end up joining her.

Yeah, the current crop leave me tepid as a godless pinko commie crime-loving border-hating whackjob.

But I look forward to voting for literally any-goddamned-one of them come Nov 2020.

Exact opposite here; I’m incredibly pumped to have a swathe of progressive candidates who I’d love to vote for in the primaries and in the general. We’ve got several of them signing on for Medicare for all, eWarren wants an oligarch-wealth tax in addition to 70%+ taxes on ultra-high earners, Kirsten Gillibrand promised to eat a Republican baby on live TV, etc. etc. I feel like this is the best Democratic field I’ve seen in my lifetime.

+1

That can’t be right. 15,444 minutes is basically 11 days.

I’m thrilled that progressive politics is at least currently dominating the conversation, and I hope it stays that way.

That being said, everyone who has thus far thrown their names into the hat seem to have some sort of flaw–age, history, etc. I’m probably being too fussy for this early, but I’m still looking for that perfect candidate.

Minutes, hours, what’s the difference? :) Fixed, thanks!

I assume this is the digitally uploaded personality, memories, and thought processes of Warren.

That was quick 🙂

It always strikes me as just-plain-crazy how early this process starts… but this time, I find myself happy to start anticipating life after Trump. Every one of these posts and articles about potential candidacies is like a balm for my weary soul.

I’m already on the Kamala Harris train. I don’t even care she had sex with some ugly mayor, so take that, Fox News.

Nobody else has interested me yet, but I look forward to seeing who might.

This time around I’m a hard pass on Bernie, Hillary, Fruit Loop Independants, billionaires (except for Bill Gates), anybody that doesn’t 100% condemn Trump and everything he’s done.

I don’t consider myself a single issue voter, and I’m more than willing to let some disagreements slide if other strengths balance things out, but when it comes to Trump I want them to be clear and upfront with their condemnation of him and his cronies. This won’t earn them points with Trump fans, but our next president needs to be very clear about the things we, as a country, will not and should not tolerate, Trump antics being chief among them.

And maybe I’d be putting the cart before the horse, and maybe it’s because I’m looking to have a cathartic moment of my own, but I want to hear their plan for dealing with the aftermath of the Russian interference in our politics, and their plan to fix the things Trump has intentionally sabotaged. Pipe dreams.

I totally agree with you. But as someone who lives in California I would have to move for my vote to mean anything.

At one point Willie Brown was possibly the most powerful man in California. As the leader of the Dems in the state legislature before term limits he was second only to the governor, and many thought he was more powerful. Willie Brown is the reason California has term limits.

If I believe Fox News, he’s also the reason we have Kamala Harris.

He was literally called the Ayatollah of the Assembly.

“Yes, I may have influenced her career by appointing her to two state commissions when I was Assembly speaker,” Brown wrote in the San Francisco Chronicle op-ed. “I certainly helped with her first race for district attorney in San Francisco. I have also helped the careers of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Gov. Gavin Newsom, Sen. Dianne Feinstein and a host of other politicians.”

Well, maybe he did help her get started.

Thanks, Willie Brown.

I am a little mystified that Harris has gotten crowned “frontrunner” so quickly. I know it’s just talk, but on what grounds are people making this presumption? Is it about funding?