It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

Booker isn’t going to have a core group. The black churchladies are going to pick Harris over Booker- Harris has already locked up Alpha Kappa Alpha which is huge in the HBCU community (she was a member). The progressives see Booker as Public Enemy #1 within the Dems- the level of vitriol Booker gets is higher than anyone else I’ve seen, especially for a lower-tier candidate. The establishment is going to be split many different ways, and he’s jumping the line as is.

I see no way he wins, unlike Harris, Warren, or Biden (the three I view as having the real chances)

I know this is a hot take, but I’m gonna wait and see how the candidates comport themselves and perform once the primaries start happening before deciding who I’m pulling for or who I think has a shot at the nomination.

Is there actually evidence that Warren did herself any damage?

This, and I’m going to vote for whoever wins the primaries, no matter what I said about them here and now.

That can be quantified? No. But I don’t think anyone would argue that she helped herself either.

We’ll need to bring in our expert on the matter, Jason Chaffetz, for his hot take on her self-immolation.

But really, the whole thing is obviously overblown by her critics, trying to smear yet another very competent female Democrat.

Yep, this is really the only logical move for anyone unhappy with the Trump administration. Any non-Democratic primary winner vote is just a vote to keep Trump in office.

Same here. I will basically go to war for whoever wins the nomination, Trump must be stopped at all costs.

I’m of two minds on this.
On the one hand, I absolutely loathe the normalization of trump. He’s treated like a normal president, with a normal policy agenda’s as if he was any other Republican president, and your post captures exactly how I feel. It’s why I felt a visceral “hell yeah” reaction to Bennet’s response to Cruz last week in the Senate

OTOH, I did read shortly after the election that when Italy was faced with a similar predicament with Berlusconi, they were not they warned able to defeat him until they treated him like they would any other politician.

Now I might be an anomaly because I never cease to be enraged on a daily basis with the bullshit he and his cronies (and by crony I mean all other Republicans) try to peddle every fucking day, but I suspect not a few people are worn out with outrage fatigue and will just tune out.

The successful candidate I think will be able to navigate that tight rope, but it’s waay to early to know who that might be.

I would do this if the nominee is a rotten head of cabbage, so ditto.

Right there with you.

Which is missing my point. My point wasn’t about whether the criticism was right, wrong or overblown; it was about how her own effort to prove his bullshit wrong, which came off as almost desperate. She would have been better off dismissing the whole thing as overblown herself. If there’s anything a demagogue like Trump relishes, it’s his opponents acting desperate.

I guess? Would it have been better for Obama never to have produced his birth certificate? I think it’s really hard to know how to address these sorts of spurious accusations. It’s a bit like debating a Creationist… the two sides are not playing by the same rules nor seeking the same result. It is always and eternally easier to poke holes and sow uncertainty than to establish a coherent picture of reality. If bullshit criticisms go unanswered, though, then one side has the automatic talking point of “why aren’t they refuting it?”

On Thursday, Ms. Warren called Bill John Baker, principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, to apologize for the DNA test, said Julie Hubbard, a spokeswoman for the tribe. She called it a “brief and private” conversation. The apology was first reported by The Intercept. Ms. Warren’s campaign did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

“I understand that she apologized for causing confusion on tribal sovereignty and tribal citizenship and the harm that has resulted,” Ms. Hubbard said. “The chief and secretary of state appreciate that she has reaffirmed that she is not a Cherokee Nation citizen or a citizen of any tribal nation.”

Got to love how she ended up having to apologize for that yet the f’ing President of the US won’t apologize for the birther bullshit.

Because she’s a decent human being, and he isn’t.

Let’s read some history books to see how far indecent human beings can get in life.

Spoiler: pretty fucking far

Risking a can of worms here, but much of the criticism levied against Clinton on the email server was that she was insufficiently contrite. To Clinton, she didn’t understand why it was such an issue and although she did apologize, she didn’t abase herself sufficiently to satiate the mass media.

Warren probably figured (correctly) she would end up facing the same eventual fate. The problem I think is it didn’t matter how she reacted (or didn’t react) to it, the mass media almost always carries water for the right wing media smear machine (see Gore, Kerry, et al. Dave Roberts writes about this quite persuasively.)

Warren will never be able to deal with Trump of she’s training to every line dating bad stuff about her.

Has he ever apologized for any of his bullshit? No, he just doubles down on it. That’s why trying to prove him wrong is a lost cause. Better just to dismiss it as the fake news it is.

He’s not even “sorry you were offended”!