It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

As of close of business yesterday, Kanye West missed the ballot access deadline in Colorado. He is now ineligible to be on the ballot in Colorado, Indiana, Maine, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, and Texas.

He has still not filed any paperwork for a committee to begin collecting ballot signatures. Next week he faces ballot access deadlines in Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma and South Carolina.

Your straight-faced posts about Kanye are my favorite thing about his so-called candidacy.

After reading so much angst about his July 4 announcement, you may rest assured that I will be riding this particular rocket, Slim Pickens style, right into the ground. :)

In fact, I’ve even updated the color coding for upcoming ballot access deadlines:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pK4wliWlP6_hhnQ4-Q6dmhHqREyJXWRVY21c8WnJZjk/edit#gid=0

BTW, the most obvious indicator that this is all nonsense (if anyone’s still not convinced) was yesterday’s deadline in Colorado: you don’t need signatures to get on the ballot there. You can pay $1,000 to get on the ballot. Easy peasy, and a grand is what I assume Kanye and Kim could find in their couch cushions.

tenor

We really do need a like button around here.

Now just imagine that maybe 3 or 5% of the people who said he’s not handling race relations well are saying that because he hasn’t put non-whites in camps yet.

Will enough people write in Kanye to make a difference?

No.

No.

Nothing is stopping those people from writing in any dumbass name they want now. If Kanye’s publicity stunt is enough to motivate someone to write in his name, those people probably weren’t voting Biden anyhow. It will likely eat into Mickey Mouse, Jesus Christ, Giant Meteor and Harambe’s support.

I admit I could be off here, but I don’t feel like the kind of people that would vote for Kanye in 2020 are the type that go through the process of registering to vote and showing up at their polling location, let alone go through the effort of writing in a candidate.

This is a publicity stunt for Kanye and perhaps an ego trip, as he’s the one man who might be an even worse narcissist than Trump.

Some scientific research I’ve found on that:

But seriously, about that like button…

I put the O/U on his votes at 50k.

I feel like Trig has found, in Kanye, a safe outlet for the SCREAM OF RAGE that’s been building in his breast lo these many months. Except, in Trig’s case, the screaming is manifest as charts laden with sarcasm.

Discourse needs something similar to Twitter’s Infinite Scream account.

The republic is hanging by a thread and you guys are already planning the victory party. I wish I shared your confidence. I remember the 2007 Patriots.

Of course I’m confident. You have to be paranoid as hell to think that Trump is getting the White house for another 4 years.

Now, could something happen in the next 4 months? Sure, but if something happens, it would be so huge and unexpected that nothing we do could have foreseen it. So, there is no sense worrying about it. That would just lead to an early grave.

Now, if this was a Senate or House thread, those are different stories. I think the house is safe, but I’m not sure yet if we can flip the senate. I think the odds are in our favor, but I’m not as confident about it as I am about Biden being the next President.

Something could absolutely still go horribly wrong, there are after all 4 months until the election. Kanye is not that something. Kanye’s just a narcissistic dipshit promoting his new record.

I, for one, appreciate Trig’s dedication to always bringing FACTS and LOGIC and CHARTS to back up his points.

This. Thank you.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I certainly am taking nothing for granted. I don’t think anyone is. And reading this thread, it’s impossible for me to draw that conclusion. Everyone I know who talks about the upcoming election seriously is on pins and needles. “It looks good now…but…”

Which, yes. Absolutely. 3 1/2 months is a fucking eternity in this current political landscape. Anything can happen, especially with a 77-year old nominee.

But what I am saying, is that the threats to Joe Biden winning and/or Donald Trump losing do not look like Kanye West.

They look a lot more like voter suppression amid a pandemic. If you want a threat worthy of your time and mental space (and also one you can actually do something about by donating your time and money), that’s the one.