It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

Amen. This is the thing that has me by far the most worried.

Where do you have in mind in terms of money on that one?

ACLU, ActBlue, League of Women Voters…all are gearing up heavily for November voter suppression fights in courts (which are already going on) and getting lawyers hired, etc. VoteAmerica also seems to have found an interesting loophole in assisting people with absentee ballot requests. Let America Vote is another good one, founded by Jason Kander.

Glad I asked, some of those were on my radar (and receive regular contributions) but under the circumstances the more the merrier.

And again, just to put stress on this, let me be as unequivocal as possible:

No one should take anything for granted or expect a result because they really want that result to happen.

This is politics and things change rapidly. Weekly. Daily. Hourly.

There will be more issues and difficulties that come up. There always are.

And get this: there are scenarios where Kanye could be an issue; imagine if some rich Republican donors astro-turfed him to get him onto the ballots in Wisconsin and Arizona and Georgia, states that have relatively late filing dates. That could happen. I don’t think it will. It seems exceptionally unlikely.

But with all that said, here on July 11th, Donald Trump’s reelection is on the back foot. A confluence of issues makes his winning more difficult a task than it ever was before the start of 2020.

The situation for Biden looks good now. That could change in a week. Or a month. There’s a reasonable chance his probability to win will go down sharply as the election approaches. There’s also a reasonable chance it improves, too, though the gravity there may foreclose the idea of too wide a lead.

What is worth saying: there are more variables and probabilities that favor Joe Biden right now than favor Donald Trump.

Perhaps?

I’ve always thought that Kanye let as all know exactly what he is about when he rapped (NSFW, duh-doy):

I ain’t need yo pussy, bitch, I’m on my own dick

Truly a great artist for our times and yes, quite the accurate self-appraisal from what I can tell.

A line that DJT would use himself if he were the wordsmith the level of Kanye. Kanye should use that as his campaign slogan.

Who are the “you guys” planning the victory party? A huge scandal could come up regarding Joe Biden, a vaccine could miraculously appear and voters give Donald Trump credit for his wise leadership shepherding us through the crisis. I’m not taking anything for granted, it’s just that as of July 11, 2020 I have a dozen things that I need to stress about. A mass Kanye write-in campaign that makes up for the 10-point polling deficit Trump is in really isn’t making it anywhere in the top 20 at the moment.

Don’t feed the troll.

The only things I could see leading to a Trump win is either a miracle COVID cure, in which case I’d take a Trump win over the alternative, or Trump stealing the election with outright theft, in which case we’re headed to civil war and nothing I do matters.

I can’t see any scandal hitting Biden that would be serious enough, that wouldn’t remove him from the ballot, and the replacement Dem would do just as well as Biden.

The questions now for me is do we get the senate, and do we flip the state legislature here?

Something that will happen with 100% certainty is that, a couple weeks before the election, Trump will claim to have a miracle cure.

Yup. It turns out the true cure was hydroxy chloroquine all along.

Just like the middle class tax cut he was promising right before the 2018 elections, and the wonderful health care he hasn’t put a second’s thought into that he’s promising for his 2nd term.

Raises hand

What about Michelle Obama/Laurie Bush running as unity ticket and taking siphoning votes off from Biden in swing states. Does that worry you?

What about, now this is crazy but hear me out, a virus that spreads easily and disproportionately kills older people. An old as hell Democrat running for office. 100k new cases a day in September.

What happens if he dies. That is my worry.

That’s hardly more likely than the other guy dying.

Let’s say it happens to both of them. What are the rules for nomination, does anyone know? Who picks the nominee for each party if the two candidates pass away in October?

Four+ more years of Donald Trump. Seriously, I think if Biden announce his VP choice and if it get ratified by the convention than that persons name gets put on the ballot. If Joe dies between now and the convention, Bernie ((and even older dude) has the inside track of getting the nomination.