Jagged Alliance 3 - Turn Based and Looking Good!

Depends on your definition of “good”. To me that was brilliant!

Let me re-watch the trailer and make some notes…

-We don’t know how much the intro is indicative of the real game, but at least they make a nod to the AIM website.
-AP system for your units. Usually around 10-14 AP.
-Your soldiers have 4-6 hp.
-I like the aiming/fire system:

You can select fire mode (single, burst, auto), choose aim location (and you see if they have armor, or if they are in cover given the line of sight), and how many AP invest on aiming. Interestingly (at least right now) you don’t have a % hit but you see how much the enemy body covers the aim reticle. Finally, you have a range indicator, I’d say it shows the distance to the target relative to the effective range of your weapon.
-There is a Free aim mode?

-You have your 3-stance button (standing, crouch, on the ground?)
-you can have several squads:

In the trailer, they are 4 to 5 soldiers in a squad. the max could be 6?
-The bottom menu changes with the character selected

B is Bandage. But that passive mode? It could be that a militia npc is selected, to put it in AI mode. The H seems to be to put in Hide mode, and the bottom bar has a 2 to quickfire a pistol maybe?
-Morale is a thing:

-Y key is the Overwatch mode, where they drag a cone of vision. I think you spend all your remaining AP in the action, and taking in account how many that was, you can hit up to 3 targets:

-No voiceovers in the trailer, but there is some banter! :

-Ingame challenges?

-Free aim for the greneades, destructible (tile-based) buildings:

-Buildings with accessible roofs (see npc on roof, and another one going down using a vertical staircase)

-The inventory isn’t anything crazy, main weapon + grenade + sidearm + 3 armor pieces/clothes:

-There is shared inventory screen for looting actions, that’s nice.
-Weapons. They have a summary of characteristics, and this FAMAS has a non-standard ‘distraction shot’ skill? :

-They have a condition status, and I guess you use generic “parts” to repair them:

-No surprise in the weapon stats, the list is a series of bonuses gained by the weapon attachments:

(I thought it was interesting there is a difference between normal aim ‘first time’, and aiming to the same target)
-But I hope the thermal scope does more than this:

…a bonus for aiming by night is missing!
-The shotgun has a ‘fire cone’ for the pellets:

-Kevlar armor can break. Here we see to Barry has some kind of ‘masochist’ perk as he gains health when wounded?!

-Bayonet charge? The dude didn’t have a knife as secondary, from what I could see.Although it could be a special unique skill for throwing knifes

-Finally the strategic map which we barely see how it will work. We can see several blue icons moving at the same time. There are four different ones: I think one is a squad, another a militia AI group, another is someone training militia (the beret) and who knows the fourth one. There are squares with mines (resources) and docks (allow to travel by sea?) . There is small red watchtower icons, I guess they are enemy points.

Nice close-reading.

A!

Not so much new. The no-hit percentage as seen in the above video reminds me of Phoenix Point, and the reticle becomes smaller if you spend more APs. Totally fine for me.

The most interesting bit of info for me is this:

Its roster of 40 mercs are all fully voiced, with personalities that may clash against each other. And, in the spirit of the original games, they’re hired diegetically—this time through an early 2000s version of the internet. The strategy layer is also classic Jagged Alliance: a dynamic map that tracks and simulates both the missions you deploy your mercs on, and the enemy force’s attempts to retake what was once theirs; where intel you find in missions can provide hints at where and when to go to discover sidequests and opportunities.

First thing I thought of as well, and I’ve never played Phoenix Point. The article reads like this issue revolutionary thing that has never been done before.

Oh no. This and @TurinTur 's post is starting to give me hope for this game.

They started a dev diary. For now it’s more a declaration of intentions than anything else. They say the right things.

Started a dev diary? How about finished a dev diary because the game will be releasing soon?

It is? Steam doesn’t have a release date, just the generic “coming soon” (which is meangful in that it doesn’t even narrow down to a quarter, let alone a year). Skimming the topic on steam, we only know “sometime in 2023”.

Oh my very literal friend.

That was a tongue-in-cheek “hoping for” the release date to be soon. The fact that they’re just starting dev diary one (1) doesn’t seem like a great sign. Late 2024 if we’re lucky?

On the other hand, maybe this is part of their final marketing push to get the true believers hyped up? That could be promising then.

I expect it to be done in Summer 2023.

Sorry, I guess I read your post as it was “coming soon” since that’s the phrase you specifically used. I got excited and quickly realized that was not the case, and was bummed - so clarification for any others who, like myself, lack the ability to grasp intonation and tone from flat text. :)

The Harebrained game reminded me to check this game. They have this video with some gameplay snippets

Jesus, I’m sold. The right people working on this gives me a good feeling, Boyan’s mention of replaying JA2 yearly was icing on the cake. Yes … someone that understands the madness but also the passion for those great things about JA2.

Good call looking this one up, I agree with @Skipper - that trailer did a great job easing my concerns and getting me hyped.

The sound of that IGN guys voice, sounds like he gets high on his own farts. I still hate IGN.

This looks like the first proper sequel to JA2.

RPS really disliked the ‘you don’t see the hit chance’ feature.

A few more videos

wut4?

Yeah, imagine my surprise when I clicked on the video to see it was by Leana Hafer. After several years of now of being the voice of Three Moves Ahead I can confidently say she is literally none of the things indicated in that post.