Jeffrey Epstein did some bad bad things

The best and the brightest!

I came across this lawyer’s view: https://blog.bennettandbennett.com/2019/07/jeffrey-epsteins-forlorn-hope/

It suggests the non-prosecution agreement only covered the Southern District of Florida, and might not be binding on SDNY.

I don’t know enough about US law to know for sure if the argument is solid, but fingers crossed that it is, and Epstein is put away to rot.

Would that argument survive a double jeopardy claim? It Epstein was allowed to plead to settle all the charges, hasn’t he effectively already been ‘tried’ for them?

I guess SDNY knows what they are doing.

NPR said this morning that there’s talk that there are new charges stemming from activities in New York City.

That would make sense. I also read something this morning saying that the search warrants executed last week imply totally new evidence, as you can’t generally get a search warrant based on 10- or 15-year-old evidence.

CNN reporting…

Here’s the indictment.

This indictment is totally about Epstein and several unnamed employees. There is no mention of other people to whom Epstein provided underaged girls. Also, looks like they are seizing the property he used to perpetrate these crimes, e.g. his mansions in NY and FL.

I suspect Epstein is going to need it’s own thread.

He has bipartisan connections and the potential political fallout is significant.

Agree. I think it ended up here because of the Acosta connection, but it probably belongs elsewhere.

Done.

somewhere there are legions of high-priced fixers spinning into action

It won’t happen but I still hope Epstein rolls on Trump or the trial uncovers something that can be tied back to Trump.

Obligatory Trump Epstein quote from a 2002 New Yorker article:

“I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”

And a link to a much more in depth article on the Trump child rape story than I’ve seen before:

That article actually fills in a blank from the Katie Johnson lawsuit which is that they seem to identify the girl “Maria” who Trump and Epstein cited as an example when threatening Johnson. She was an 11 year old kidnapped from Waterbury CT, a town whose mob connected mayor was later convicted of child sex trafficking.

These appear to be federal charges, so they could in theory be pardoned away if someone decided there need not be any public trial which might be embarrassing.

Pardoning away child sex trafficking might be a bridge too far even in 2019. I know I know, I’m a crazy optimist, what can I say?

Hard to understand what they are arresting him for. Anything that came up in the original case is problematic, as Epstein’s lawyers will argue that the plea deal covers everything that came up in the original case. Unless they can somehow invalidate the plea deal, or unless these are totally unrelated charges.

Trump will deny it, say the kid wasn’t his type, and that will be it. These are federal charges, and the DOJ won’t indict him.

Pardon would remove the ability to take the fifth however.

“I could fuck little kids in shadowy basements and I wouldn’t lose a single voter.” - Trump, September 2019.