Joe Gibbs to coach Redskins again!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTFhbmEwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-redskins-gibbs&prov=ap&type=lgns

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) – In a stunning move, Joe Gibbs will return as coach of the Washington Redskins, a team he led to three Super Bowl titles.

Gibbs signed a five-year, $25 million contract, matching the NFL-record deal given to predecessor Steve Spurrier, according to a source within the NFL, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Gibbs also was given the title of team president and will be heavily involved in the makeup of the roster. Owner Dan Snyder, however, has the final word on all player decisions, according to the source.

If Snyder overrules any of Gibbs’s’ decisions he is truly the fooking idiot I suspect him of being.

Well, I am a longtime Skins fan and I can’t tell if this is good news or not. I respect Gibbs too much to want him to get Snyder’s ass stench all over him. At the same time, Gibbs was an awesome coach that the players there now can respect.

In the end, I’m happy, I just hope Snyder respects Gibbs.

A step forward, but pointless if they can’t get an offensive line.

Troy

Which “Washington” do the Redskins hail from? D.C. or the State Of?

[edit] Nevermind… I just realized this is a perfect question to Google. They’re from D.C., in case anyone doesn’t already know.

And, no, we don’t call 'em the “Native Americans.” :)

Couple of free agents available are that Sapp guy… Cory Dillon…gots to have a big running back! Gee, Stephen Davis would have been perfect but Steve “I can’t coach in the NFL” Spurrier and Dan “I know all” Snyder let him go.

The Redskins practice in Virgina and play in Maryland - they do NOTHING in Washington DC. Easterbrook loves to point that out…

Anyway, Snyder is the problem. I don’t care who he gets, he’ll find a way to ruin the team. You can’t win at Football by applying quick fixes and firing people for making mistakes. Hiring Gibbs is an interesting move. But he really should have gone to NY Giants, Chicago, or Oakland if he wanted to coach again that badly.

This was a “what the hell?”, and then I saw that you’re actually from Washington state, at which point it became “WHAT THE FUCK?”.

Keep in mind that DC is small, no room for a stadium. (That anyone would want to park at… :lol: )

This is the greatest day of my life.

Which hasn’t kept them from trying to get a baseball team.

Troy

They’re trying to put their baseball team in Arlington, VA.

ps. RFK was awesome, but I understand why they had to move it.

I sincerely hope that Snyder’s input is limited to “Yup, I’ll get you that player,
Mr. Gibbs.” If so, the glory days will be back!

If Snyder overrules any of Gibbs’s’ decisions he is truly the fooking idiot I suspect him of being.
[/quote]

No need to suspect. I used to date a gal who worked for him. He’s an idiot, at least in terms of managing a football team.

It’s DC’s fault. For the past 15 years they haven’t been willing to do anything for the Redskins. When it came time to build a new stadium and get out of RFK in DC, DC wouldn’t give a dime. maryland was all over it with offers for infrastructure and tax breaks. Not sure about the training camp, but it’s a safe bet there’s a similar story there.

DC has room. They have old stadiums that could be razed to make room for new ones. So far as parking, even the new Redskins Stadium has to bus people in from the old Capitol Center parking lot, because there’s not enough parking there, either, and it’s in the middle of frigging nowhere.

I am delicately hinting around something…

Arlington is one group. Another is pushing for a downtown stadium not far from the MCI center. It’s a long shot real estate plan, but has more popular support than the North Virginia bid.

Troy

Arlington is one group. Another is pushing for a downtown stadium not far from the MCI center. It’s a long shot real estate plan, but has more popular support than the North Virginia bid.

Troy[/quote]

Yeah, but it ain’t gonna happen, so… sigh

Incidentally, the demonstration game between the Cards and the Expos a few years back at RFK made me realize what a great old stadium it really is. It’s a shame that DC can’t figure out how to make good use of it.

I’d love to see baseball come back to DC (or to VA, for that matter – two sites that were considered are within a few metro stops of me). Hauling my ass up to Baltimore to watch someone cream the O’s just doesn’t do it for me…

And with respect to Gibbs: we’ll see. He’s a hell of a coach, but Snyder’s been highly successful at fucking up (although you can blame Norv and Steve for some of that, too). We’ll see if Gibbs can turn it around.

It’s DC’s fault. For the past 15 years they haven’t been willing to do anything for the Redskins. When it came time to build a new stadium and get out of RFK in DC, DC wouldn’t give a dime. maryland was all over it with offers for infrastructure and tax breaks. Not sure about the training camp, but it’s a safe bet there’s a similar story there.[/quote]

My god, the DC government did something smart? I can’t believe it.

DC, where smoking crack will get you elected mayor! :shock: