Justice League - DC and Warner Bros' superpowered team-up movie

Every time I looked at Steppenwulf, I thought of this guy.

It was also pretty umm, interseting that the one box that he couldn’t get was the only one that wasn’t really guarded but… okay. It did what it needed to do though. I liked it enough to go see the next one in theater. Not because the plot of the villain was interesting or because DC figured out how to solve their Superman problem… mostly because I think the Justice League and the characters in it will get enough kinks straightened out that it will be mostly entertaining to watch.

Well hes only Darkseid’s “lieutenant” basically but became the main guy when the movie was cut down from the two parter. So they dump their Thanos like super villain who who actually would be a real threat to even someone like Superman and we’re left with just him and a mediocre movie with another forgettable villain.

Not sure if serious.

He’s basically a random guy with a glowing axe, and a bunch of bug minions, going after three glowing boxes for reasons poorly explained. Who kicks the living shit out of everyone, and then gets the shit kicked out of him by Superman.

The movie could have had the rest of the Justice League chilling in a swimming pool somewhere, and just had Superman show up.

Basically, this: https://youtu.be/prRySgsgtnM?t=36s

Pretty much every Justice League story. They come up with some bullshit to distract or disable Superman, they flail around for ever, then someone figures out how to fix Superman and he single handedly wins everything.

It’s like when they can’t form Voltron because Allura is kidnapped, or when Hulk shows up in the last 90 seconds after everything else Banner tried fails.

He’s not really much of a “thing” in DC comics. I only recall one appearance in an Earth 2 series a few years back.

Here is how the villian looks in the comics (and 90s animated show).

They took a pretty terrible design and made it way worse. How was that possible? I did like his fight scenes though.

Speaking of this messed up movie universe…

Fuck yea, an origin story! Two hours of a guy who isn’t the Joker doing stuff on screen, and a final 10 seconds spent on a Joker face reveal. Wooooo!

Well if there’s a silver lining, it’s that I’ve already enjoyed many hours of Joaquin Phoenix not being the Joker, so I know that part can be good.

Maybe they can just add a ten-second reveal scene to the end of The Master.

So Joaquin Phoenix is going to turn into Jared Leto?!

Kidding aside, I got to admit that Phoenix is a great choice for the Joker.

You know you want to see the scene where this guy gets bitten by a radioactive Joker card. Don’t lie.

Kinda reminds me of the “Jenga” building here in NYC…

Nice! That’s really cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Caught this on HBO over the weekend. Wow, was it bad.

I am not a fan of old, slow and massive machine-dependent Batman. Every time another one of his vehicles got trashed my only thought was “man, that’s going to be expensive to replace”. The slow-burn romance angle they seem to be playing between Batman and Wonder Woman is stupid as well. She was already in love with a mortal, and that worked out so well.

Aquaman, poor Aquaman. He just felt tacked on, and in the worst possible way. He literally did almost nothing for the entire movie. He never really utilized any of his powers, and they actually made fun of “talking to fish”. He could have been replaced with any standard combat style superhero and it would have worked just as well. Hell, other than the idea that one of the boxes was guarded by Atlantians, you could have removed the character from the movie altogether.

Flash and Cyborg were far more interesting and were given much better roles. I liked that Flash started out having never really used his powers to fight before, and was overwhelmed. Having Batman tell him to “just save one person” as his introduction to superheroism was one of the best parts of the movie. Cyborg’s role was also well rounded, utilizing his own alien tech to interface with that of the boxes and his ability to control regular technology. On the other hand, it’s hard to imagine an interesting solo movie for either character.

Gal Gadot saves the movie. As a kid who watched Linda Carter play the original Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot simply gets it. She brings a modern style and grace to the character, moving effortlessly from badass fight scenes to being vulnerable when discussing her fears concerning leadership and the losses she’s endured. It’s pretty much impossible to have watched Wonder Woman and now Justice League and not fall hard for Gadot’s Diana Prince.

Superman on the other hand. Ugh. Superman is the main reason I’ve always disliked the DC Comics universe. He’s just too OP (as the kids would say). Stronger than anything, indestructible, can fly, and has heat laser eyes and fucking frost breath to go with it. Why the fuck is there even a Justice League? It should just be Superman & Associates. You could have tacked on every other hero in the DC Universe into this movie and they still couldn’t have handled Steppenwolf (what a dumb ass villain name) until Superman showed up.

I’d rate this movie a solid 2 out of 5 stars. One star for Gal Gadot alone, and the other for the combined performances by Flash, Cyborg and Alfred.

I too finally sat down to watch this on HBO the other night. I think I went into it with a relatively open mind… most of the comments above put the movie in the “meh” range and call out some high points, so I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Nope. Man, that was horrible.

I probably ought to just copy/paste SlainteMhath’s post above this one, but maybe I can add a few pieces on insight.

Batman: Having him be Inspector Gadget is absolutely the wrong thing to pull from Nolan’s movies. Batman should absolutely be all about the planning, the detective work, and the ability to pull a solution out of thin air based on what he’s seen before, despite all the shit going down around him. Making him a brawler with mini-guns mounted all over a bunch of vehicles is just terrible.

Wonder Woman: Somewhere in there was a decent story about Diana Prince hiding her light under a bushel for decades at a time and unwilling to let the world see what she is/was capable of. They didn’t choose to tell that story (and maybe it’ll be told in the 1980s WW), but in theory they resolved it during the CGI-fest at the end?

Flash: I liked almost every scene he was in. The costume was just as crappy as it appeared in the early promo-shots.

Cyborg: A little more fleshed-out than I had thought he would be, to be honest. Still a nothing of a character, but I thought the actor did more with him than the script allowed, if that makes any sense. His costume was crap too… but at least they showed him revising it in the credits. I’m still not entirely clear why/how he lost control of his gun-arm after Superman’s resurrection. I get why we had to have everyone fight, and that was as good a reason as any to start it off, but… I dunno… random technobabble.

Aquaman: I really like Momoa. Or at least I want to. And I like that they went in a pretty all-new direction for one of the most whitebread characters in the DC arsenal. But man was he wasted in this movie.

Superman: I liked how menacing they made him out to be right after he came back from the dead. And that’s about all I can find to compliment. He was a McGuffin for 90% of the film, and for the other 10% you kind of wish he’d stayed dead so that the other characters could have overcome their individual issues and joined together to defeat the enemy… instead of having Superman show up and do it without breaking a sweat.

The villain: Ye gods. Sure, the bad guy is never going to be anything great in an ensemble movie (Thanos excluded, I guess), but Steppenwolf was just a horrible example. No motivation beyond being generically evil, no background or history to speak of, no sympathetic traits whatsoever, bad costume, stupid weapon, bad dialog.

The best scene in the movie (arguably the only good scene in the movie).

My favorite scene from this film will always be The Flash springing into action against Superman and Supes tracking him while at speed. The look of surprise on his face is superb. I would have enjoyed it a lot more with Grant Gustin in the role, but hey, they picked this route…

As the TV universe continues to grow and inch closer to Batman and Superman, we can only hope they eventually settle on this dark universe being one of the alternate Earths.

This is a great idea.

Not totally sure which DC thread this fits best in, but I gotta put it somewhere -

I guess the writing was on the wall when Cavill took the Witcher gig, but still I’m a bit surprised.