Kaby Lake System Build

Optane seems really dumb, until they can get it to real SSD sizes. Hybrid drives were not any kind of great solution even for medium term, nobody uses them except cheap-ass console makers, and even then the console makers usually pass and slap in generic HDDs!

If it were cheap and could cash regular drives, it might not be so bad…like Intel SRT, but faster. But then, ssd drives have gotten dramatically bigger and cheaper in the last 5 years, not to mention faster, so why bother?

This. Current form seems completely useless for consumers, given the wide use of ssds.

I think Intel has run into the problem where to really use the technology you need operating systems and applications to know about it and specifically utilize it. But they don’t have a reasonable plan to get that to actually happen so instead they release this stupid thing. Eventually I think it will lead to awesome things, but this is just sad.

What Intel should really say is “stop overclocking, it won’t help your KDA ratio” but seeing as this product is apparently designed to capture gamer dollars they can’t.

Intel is positioning Optane as a new magnetic drive cache but yeah, nobody cares about that. What is actually is is a new type of flash that offers pretty fast sequential reads (which doesn’t really matter for most uses) and low read/write latencies (which does, but SSDs are already extremely fast for desktop use today).

Internally it fixes a lot of the problems inherent to NAND with write exhaustion and heavy write amplification. It doesn’t need to be massively parallel or include a DRAM buffer to offer strong performance. All those “gotchas” that made the first 2-3 generations of NAND SSDs tricky (remember OCZ poison, fellas?) are not a concern. Of course modern SSD controllers worked around all those issues inherent to the NAND technology so there’s no reason an enduser would care about that stuff.

As XPoint storage gets cheaper over the next couple of years it will probably replace NAND. And it should, it’s simply better technology. But until then, it’s a curiosity.

Since I can’t afford an iMac, I think I’ll use my limited budget for a i7-7700, 32GB RAM and a Asus z270-P. But do you think this will fit into my old ATX Cooler Master case and power by the 4 year old CM PSU below?

Sure, it’ll all work fine.

Thanks @stusser … the reason I asked is because I am actually upgrading from a Core 2 Quad (Q6600 something, yes I am ashamed of my old, old PC), so I wasn’t sure if the components will be working. I am guessing, my existing intel SSD, spinning disk and nVidia something something should work fine. I will get to the GFX much later. But at least the case and PSU will support the new mobo.

Should I go for 7700K - it doesn’t come with stock cooling, right? So I have to invest in some of those fancy liquid cooling? But that will be another $80. Decisions.

I am looking forward to finally be able to play the games cool kids play these days, lol … or maybe I will still stick to Caves of Qud.

It’s an ATX case and that’s an ATX motherboard so yes it will fit fine. 750w PSU is more than enough for a 7700k with a 1080ti even.

If you’re primarily gaming I suggest an i5-7600k. And that assumes you are going to overclock, if not get an i5-7600.

You don’t need fancy liquid cooling, get a hyper 212 EVO for like $30.

So fan cooled is good enough eh? I’ll go with the recommendations. I figure a 7700K will last me another 5-8 years, so I think I’ll settle for the 7700K. Tomorrow’s the day I will be dropping into a shop to get this done. Can’t wait to try it out!

I’m not a fan of liquid cooling, even the AIO products. They dry up over time and don’t really work more than a couple years. A good heatsink will last forever, and you can easily replace fans.

Still [quote=“stusser, post:113, topic:127846”]
I’m not a fan of liquid cooling, even the AIO products. They dry up over time and don’t really work more than a couple years.
[/quote]
Still rocking an Intel liquid cooler on my i7-3960X system that’s been in action 24/7 since late 2011.

It probably isn’t cooling very well these days. They degrade over time.

Cools well enough. :)

After my first “all coolant on the carpet” episode, I vowed never again for liquid cooling systems.

They also made more sense in the Pentum 4 era with 300w processor loads. The only way you can get to 200w+ processor load these days is with absurd numbers of cores on a die… and I’m just not convinced many people need more than a 4 core / 8 thread processor for anything.

Pretty rare for an AIO to actually leak although it can happen.

Very high-end air like my somewhat ridiculously enormous NH-D15 cools nearly as well as AIO water, and performance never degrades.

I’ll toss out that the Cryorig models in the $30 range are a little better, quieter, and easier to attach than comparable EVOs, according to Forumz about a year ago.

That kills your mobo as well, I suppose? Sucks!