Kate -- Netflix movie.

I mean it was just an opinion, I don’t think I can really convince anytime that my opinion about a movie is correct.

But, if interested, I find gunpowder milkshake to be less “John Wick” and more of a very poorly made “Kill Bill”. So much of it was just ridiculously dumb, like the floppy arm fight scene.

I liked jolt. All just for Kate Beckinsale chewing the scenery tho. That was fun. Would have waited for streaming anyhow tho.

I also watched The Widow series with her. This was better, probably because it was more bite sized.

This is a day one pickup for me.

Gunpowder Milkshake was a much better movie than Kate.

Kate was trash.

Your move.

-Tom

Thing with Gunpowder Milkshake was that it embraced a quirkiness that Kate did not. GM didn’t take itself seriously, was designed just to be a romp of wacky action, and that action was different enough to feel fresh. Kate positioned itself to do more of the same-old without elevating the action or characters beyond that typical of the genre.

You didn’t like Point of No Return? I always think of it as an example of a good remake. It keeps the spirit of the original, but Harvey Keitel’s Cleaner brings such a menace to the role compared to Jean Reno’s cleaner in the original. I felt they were both excellent movies in their own way.

Having watched La Femme Nikita and introduced to both Anne Parillaud and Jean Reno only a couple of years previous, Point of No Return left no impression whatsover on me.

For those that have watched Kate. Your next assignment is to play the video game.

Definitely one of the better Netflix action movies. John Wick meets La Femme Nikita makes for a good plot and I’ve always had a thing for actresses that go by three-part names. The dash of Japanese underworld culture is also generally a winning element for me. Also, who doesn’t like Woody?

You don’t have to be mean.

If you haven’t watched Extraction with Chris Hemsworth, you owe it to yourself.

I paused about a quarter of the way in. Great action (up to that point at least), but I really didn’t feel any connection to any of the characters. I’ll get back around to it at some point.

Yeah, recommending mostly for the action (the “single-shot” car chase is phenomenal), but the best thing about the story is how they moved the setting from the overdone Mexico/Latin American drug lord to India, which makes it far more appealing, at least to me.

Minor point of order, but the setting is Bangladesh. They shot in India, of course, but they’re supposed to be tricking you into thinking they’re in Bangladesh. But you’re absolutely right that it’s one of the (few, IMO) things that gives Extraction any sense of identity.

-Tom

Just watched Kate and a thumbs up from me and my missus. Had no expectations going in but everyone turned in credible performances here. I enjoyed this better than Extraction to be sure but more as an overall rather than rating purely on action.

Put me in the “Better than Gunpowder Milkshake” column. In that movie the over-the-top + comedic formula didn’t work for me like it did for others. Plus, in Kate, I loved that 14 year-old girl. I liked the action scenes better. The story in Kate was terribly predictable, but with low expectations going in, I was fine knowing where we were going because I enjoyed the fight scenes and ride on which it took me.

6.0/10

I quite liked this, more than 70% of the movies I paid to see in the cinema this year. Sure, the plot was obvious (one day they’ll make one of these movies without putting in the obvious plot twist, and it’ll just blow my mind). I don’t think Winstead was very convincing. But it had a look and style, stuck to it consistently, and I liked how the fights didn’t ramp up as the movie progressed but became more and more muted as Kate’s condition advanced.

I think Netflix might want to consider betting more on low budget action films like this.

I just watch this last night too. I watched Gunpowder Milkshake the night before (what a waste of for all the actors involved) so Kate was a nice surprise.

The plot twist was obvious. When it’s that obvious I think the writers should’ve leaned into making a dramatic irony situation and flesh out the villain a little more.

Otherwise, the movie was great. Lots of scenes reminded me of Die Hard and John Wick.

Nice movie, but wow car chase scene was so fakey CGI it took me right out of the movie for a bit.