Kemet play-by-forum game

FYI, I thought I was down to 5 units. Double check the last battle?

Also, per the reference sheet Devourer only awards a bonus VP when also winning the battle, which did not happen here. He also needs to kill at least 2 units, which he cannot do by attacking Lantz’s outpost.

So, unfortunately, iron wolf is reduced to kingmaking. He could attack me and if he wins and gets 2 damage he will be at 8 VP, so enough for Lantz to win. Or, he can attack Lantz and maybe get to 8 VP, which is enough for me to win. I don’t see any other outcome. Can you? Actually, maybe there is something.

I don’t get a VP, the Devourer only gives me an extra VP if I win the battle and destroy 2 units.
At least that’s the way I’ve read it.

Yeah, you are right on both counts. That’s a shame, the Devourer seems way less useful as a result.
But Ironwulf will be at 9 VP if he wins (against you) and gets the bonus - because he’ll also take the temple VP.

9 VP means nothing if Lantz starts his turn at 8 VP though, correct?
He will have his turn before me and so win even if I do get to 9.

No, if you get to 9 in this turn, you’ll have more than he does at the start of his turn and we’ll play it out til the end of round. If you only have 8, though, then he wins by starting before you do.

I counted you as starting with 6 units + Polyphemus, so you should be down to 4 units + Polyphemus?

I forgot to deduct a unit from the last battle he was in.

So how many units does @Greatatlantic currently have at the Temple?

3, one of which is a priest.

Wow…I’ve been trying to plan my turn based on thinking he had 6 units there to start. This makes a HUGE difference. Going to have to think about this a bit.
I will not recall. @Greatatlantic let me know where to retreat to.

I think both locations are equally distant from all other locations, so whatever. @ironwulf can retreat to West Bank.

Yeah, I mean, there’s nowhere to retreat to that he can’t just immediately attack from again. (And he’s got the move bonuses to hit other targets if there were any better ones, but there aren’t.)

4th turn (completing)
2nd move action using golden token

Continue moving my priest down the bottom path of Ta-Seti. Pick up the Mask object as well as the DI card from path itself and priest moves back to beginning.

Will wait for @malkav11 to update me on new card before moving troop

Updated.

I will play my Mask object.
This removes all Tile/DI Card/Priest bonuses from a battle and outcome is determined by troop strength and battle cards.
I move my troop with Devourer into Three Temple West and initiate battle with @Greatatlantic.

STR = 5 (5 units)

Battle Card choice sent to @malkav11

I don’t think you can do that. I mean,you can totally do that, but it removes the Devourer’s abilities for the duration of the battle… meaning no bonus VP. Meaning this maneuver tops you out at 8 VP, meaning Lantz wins. Do you want to challenge that rule, or rethink the turn @ironwulf?

I am pretty sure it cancels the Devourer’s abilities, yeah. But there may be logic behind this. Just saying.

OK. It just noticed Mask also prevents DI cards, so keep that in mind.

If you change your turn, ironwolf, let me know, otherwise I submitted the battle to Malkav.

My actions stand, let’s see the battle outcome

Battle - Sobek (ironwulf) vs Anubis (Greatatlantic)
Sobek is attacking with 5 units plus the Devourer creature.
Anubis is defending with 3 units plus the Polyphemus creature. (And the Kraken.)

Objects:
Sobek plays the Mask object, which cancels all Battle bonuses and abilities other than troop strength and battle card.

Battle cards:
Sobek plays [4 str 1 dam]
Anubis plays [5 str sac 2]

Total strength:
Sobek gets 5 for units, 4 for card = 9
Anubis gets 3 for units, 5 for card = 8
Sobek wins! Sobek gains 1 permanent battle VP (and the 1 temporary temple VP for 8 total)
Anubis gets 1 Dawn token

Damage:
Sobek deals 1 for card vs 0 prot = 1 damage
Anubis deals 0 damage vs 0 prot = 0 damage
Anubis loses 1 unit to damage, sacrifices 2. No units remaining in troop. Polyphemus returns to reserve

Retreat/recall:
@ironwulf recalling would be effectively conceding the game.
@Greatatlantic has nothing to retreat or recall.
Done!