Kenshi (An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG)

The level of detail in this game is amazing. In the moment below, one of my squad had been attacked while mining and lost the use of both his arms. I sent him running back to Squin, and as he runs, his useless arms dangle behind him:

What if he’s practicing for an Area 51 raid?

Running like that looks like it would cause more damage in addition to being originally wounded.

I had no idea what you meant until I googled Area 51 raid. That’s funny.

Film version coming (I wish).

Wow, Kenshi has hit a milestone I didn’t think was anywhere near.

Major Milestone

After 12+ years of development and less than 2 years of the official release, Kenshi has hit a milestone of 1 million global sales.

In their most recent community update there’s also a a lot of info about the tools being used to develop Kenshi 2, as well as a 10 second video of a game bug.

This game seems to go on sale regularly, but although I have it wishlisted I keep holding off because I’m not convinced it will be my cup of tea. maybe this is a situation where I should listen to the wallets of 1 million people.

Like you I would never have guess they would sell a million copies. I’m very happy for them as it is definitely not like anything I’ve played before but the strangeness was a big part of the appeal for me. I will have to revisit this sometime.

I’ve started it a few times and always get lost for what to do within the first 30 minutes.

Either that or annihilated by a wilding gang of hostiles.

I’m looking forward to Kenshi 2. This is the only game in this genre I’ve played though. E.g. still haven’t played Rimworld or Conan Exiles.

I played this game quite a bit in the past. It certainly is unique. Basically your characters learn by doing things. There is no overall quest beyond survival. However, you can change the world in a manner of speaking. There are various factions that will ask you for favors. Some of these things may trigger a giant war between factions and you can help certain factions win which will change ownership of cities. For example you can wipe out the holy faction.

However, if you play, I recommend a that allows you to build stat trainers. The natural way to build stats for your characters is by fighting in combat. This in both very dangerous and incredibly tedious. Instead I found a mod (this was a few years ago and I do not remember the name) that lets you make things like weight benches in which a character can work out to gain strength. They have one for every stat and this makes things much easier.

I never finished the game. I only got to the point of faction wars and then pretty much got my ass kicked.

I don’t think I have ever played a game where I was running for my life as often as this one. Those gangs just don’t quit :)

Yeah, uninstalled for that very reason. Maybe some other time.

After a while I did figure out that I could make it to my advantage. I would run them back to town, the guards would kill them and I would loot the corpses.

I did that. And then a bigger group would appear, and kill me all the same. I suppose I could try many times and catch a break at some point, but I’m not motivated to do so at this present time. As I said, maybe some other time.

I installed a mod that increased my follower limit to over 100. It made things easier, although combat stats still barely crept upward. So a trainer mod might be a good idea too.

I made a mod that 10x’ed the experience gain (the ones on Steam at the time didn’t work post a patch change) and it made the game much more palatable to me. Kenshi is definitely worth a look as it’s somewhat unique and different. I’m really looking forward to Kenshi 2 - hopefully it includes more of the world changing dynamics that some of the larger mods added to the original.

Could you describe some of these? I think I played the game near launch.

Terribly sorry - I somehow missed this reply.

This one was my favorite - Reactive World - added a lot more depth when you took out some of the main bad guys. Made the game feel much more like a real world vs a game. As I mentioned hopefully Kenshi 2 has a lot more where this came from.

Notable effects include:

-Dust Bandits having a civil war over leadership if the Dust King is taken down. Occupying nearby ruins for their HQs, and starting to have fights in the wilderness with each other. Taking down all the upstart leaders will cause the Dust Bandits to disband entirely.

-Mongrel and other locations falling to the Fogmen in certain conditions. Your actions have consequences, and sometimes the innocent will suffer due to them regardless of your intentions.

-The Western Hive going crazy if their Queen is kidnapped.

(And many others…)

This game is awesome. I can’t believe I waited so long to try it. Having just as much fun as I did when I first discovered Rimworld. Why can’t there be more games like this?

Things I love and we need more of in games

Huge world with wonderful lore
Dynamic World with crazy fun interactions and emergent behavior
(aside: I was about to lose everybody to dust bandits when Beak Things showed up and saved me.)
Squad Building
RPG stat building
Inventory and Items (would love more of this loot collecting/set bonuses/epic weapons)
Crafting
Trading
Settlement Building and Pawn automation
Tech Tree and Research
Epic Adventures
Epic Battles
Severed Limbs
Animals as pets
Robots and Robotics/prosthetics
The list goes on…

Bring on Kenshi 2.

I’ve never really known how to get started. My attempts have all been rather abortive.