Kenshi (An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG)

Cheers for the heads up - I bought this years ago and had completely forgot about it.

So, they pulled it off?!
The game doesn’t look quite “lo-fi” anymore, which saddens me a tiny bit. But whatever if they pulled it off!

If someone does end up pulling the trigger please post some impressions, because the game looks very intriguing.

Like Miquel, I think I bought it yeeeaars ago, but I can’t think of where that was!

Check Gamersgate - that’s where I bought it back in like 2011 and I think the only place you could get it before it hit steam.

And I believe he’ll give you a Steam key if you have proof of Gamersgate purchase. I believe I read that somewhere.

I bought mine in the already deceased Desura. And Project Zomboid too! Another game with so many years in development.

If you can’t find your key, I’d try emailing to Lo-Fi games, maybe they can do something about.

I think that was Desura! But heck if I can find anything tied to that service anymore. I’ll just buy the game again when I get a PC, I seem to recall I may have purchased it at some dirty 90% off discount back then!

I have 143 hours played, I start a new game every so often as the updates roll out. If you enjoy full sandbox games you should get your money’s worth and then some.

RPG progression, survival, gear, stealth + thievery, base building, crafting, research, factions, exploration, giant map with different biomes… it has it all.

Now allow me to scare some of you off.

Cons:

• Very limited questing or direction.
  • There is a difficulty cliff you have to climb at the beginning, even if you know the game well. Your character sucks, you’re broke, and you’re by yourself. Food is super expensive and you will struggle to make money.
  • Getting better combat stats is a brutal grind. I wouldn’t recommend playing without the mod that adds strength and dexterity training stations as buildables.
  • Having a large squad is eventually required. Managing separate squads and food for individuals can be tedious.
  • Combat is not very “tactical” in the sense that most modern games are. No abilities other than selecting your target to auto attack.

Last night I spent a couple hours just fooling around and that pretty much sums it up. The normal/defaul start sucks, but the game comes with a surprising number of advanced starts that put you in better (or worse) positions.

So the normal start is not that different from the typical hardcore MMO (UO, EVE circa 2005) start. But this game comes with time compression - the joys of singleplayer. So chopping chunks of ore happens rather quickly - and you have a pickaxe. That surprised me as I genuinely expected the character to do karate chop moves or something.

They should have called the game Walk & Blade, really.

The graphics look pretty lo fi @Left_Empty, like a 2009 game rendering at full HD with FXAA antialiasing or something. I kind of reminisced of the time I fell down the stairs at home, hurted bad my back and spend a couple days on morphine. It was all a bit fuzzy and I felt sick.

I think some of the guys here, who like weird ass janky RPGs that are hard as nails (thinking of Underrail, Gothic/Risen/Elex, Age of Decadence) will like this one too if they can get pass the amateur NPC dialogue writing and null story. Since the later is not true for me, this one will stay on my library until Steam decides you can give away games you no longer want.

This occurred to me too. The earlier trailer looked primitive, of course, but also very crisp and clear. The new trailer just looks primitive.

Still, I can’t think of anything quite like this game.

That’s the best endorsement of a game I’ve ever read. But looking at the steam page it looks like it’s still in early access? I thought it was already released.

I hope it has some sort of story and is not JUST an open world sandbox.

This might not be the best comparison, but while I for instance really enjoyed the combat in Mount & Blade, I got bored with the game overall due to its lack of a story and lackluster strategic layer.

That’s so funny… when I read his post I immediately thought of you specifically. Anybody that can tolerate the jank and difficulty of 7.62mm High Calibre will enjoy this game.

Unless they’ve been keeping it secret this whole time and plan on dropping the whole story thing into the game right before leaving EA, prepare for disappointment.

Different tastes for different players, if they focused on sandbox and gameplay instead of some “do this do that” scripted story or other than it sounds more appealing to me.

As noted above, it hits 1.0 this coming week.

And yes, despite the caveats noted above, I grabbed it tonight. Downloading now. I come in with low expectations, and happy to throw $20 (minus Steam’s cut) at a dev who persevered for a dozen years, and might be happy if it exceeds my expectations. We’ll see!

I bought it for the exact same reason as you. This developer deserves some support.

It sounds like it pushes all the right buttons for me except for perhaps having much of a story. That might be the game stopper for me.

For full disclosure, when I was writing above I was totally thinking about @Bateau, but hesitated to tag him :)

Thanks, by the way, for your pros and cons. I’m only a couple of hours in, but I think your assessment is fairly spot on.

Anyone remotely on the fence about Kenshi should spend 30 minutes watching this new video posted by Sean Sands of Gamers With Jobs. It’s not a Let’s Play, nor a tutorial. Just a sort of tour of what the game is like. Should help you decide if it is for you. Definitely not for everyone.

Please never hesitate :). I’d never have heard of some of these amazing games if it weren’t for people with high tolerance for jank/difficulty on these boards :).