Kerbal Space Program 2

This feels like it has been in development for so long. Between it only being early access, and the studio shenanigans early on I hope it isn’t a train wreck.

I’m pretty surprised people are skeptical of this. I’d much, MUCH rather them wait and release a good game then rush it out lol. Who cares if it took an extra year or two? KSP 1 is extremely dated at this point.

While no one probably disagrees with the idea we’d prefer games released that are done, the assumed premise that more time always equates to a finished well polished product is doing a good bit of work here.

Yeah, there’s always been a significant risk of this turning into abandonware, and the longer it takes, especially without updates, the more likely that seems. The team moving into early access with a set date is good news.

I’m all for them taking the time needed, I’m just surprised after what feels like a really long time they are just getting to an early access point of release, and wonder if they’ve had troubles beyond the studio change. IIRC this initially was supposed to be released in 2020?

This echoes my concern as well. The video they released years ago showed more content than the EA release is going to have.

So, adding the list of little things that add up, they decided what KSP1 needs is a launcher. I guess so they can hawk merch for the game that doesn’t exist yet (KSP2) ¯\(ツ)

As much of a wtf as thinking this is a product that needs a launcher might be, the real wtf is that using said launcher broke mods. For some reason the launcher causes the game to look in the wrong place for a folder. But if you launch the actual game exe directly, it looks in the right place.

It seems to be fixed, but wtf indeed. An accumulation of small things like this add up to why I’m not sanguine about “the bigger, experienced studio will know how to Unity properly” and such.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/kerbal-space-program-2

I don’t get the marketing for this. At the launch of early access it says “improved ui, new parts, new tutorials”. Improved and new relative to what? The closed alpha?

Or should we expect ksp 2 to be identical to ksp 1 except for those three things? This is a full sequel that’s been worked on for years and years!

I think you can take it that way.
If you look at the roadmap everything else KSP 2 is planning to add over 1 is only coming in later EA updates.
The high goals of colonization and different star systems won’t be playable for a while yet. Even science isn’t in this first version.

Lame… it makes it sound like a major patch or mod for KSP 1.

Which for many people is more important than an improved UI, parts, and tutorials.

I will give it a chance for a second first impression at the early access release, but yikes.

Step back right now according to Scott Manley and no career mode yet.

I’m going to wait until they add more stuff in.

Wow, the recommended gpu spec is a 3080.

I wonder if they put a bunch of the physics calculations on the GPU.

Well, this announcement pretty much shuts down my interest in Juno. The graphics are a big improvement, and I really like the idea of a simulator. KSP is pretty much the only game I play ironman, so being able to practice is huge.

On the other hand, I was expecting Spacex development speed,. Instead, it appears, they must have hired a management team from United Launch Alliances to develop the game, 3+ years late is crazy.

I think there is a decent chance SpaceX rocket lands on Mars before Kerbal 2, leave early access.

Kinda limits your audience there, doesn’t it? For an already niche game? Maybe the overlap is high between those two groups.

My old rig barely exceeds the minimum. It looks like it is a least $2K to get a rig with GE 3080.

This game doesn’t feel promising to me at all, and Juno looks great, though I still need to check the extent of “programming” required in Juno as I do enough tedious technical work in my day job.

Everything in KSP2 seems very questionable to me, including graphics, cost, system reqs, even the scope of the game (interstellar).

My uninformed speculation is that the extended development time is largely dedicated to improving performance to a level where at least some players can run it on their consumer grade PC.

Based on the reactions I’m seeing to their latest stream, I don’t think they did. And their apparent response of basically “performance will improve when we get multithreading implement” is actually kind of scary at this point in development.

I did not see the stream myself, so dunno. The reports are all the floppiness of parts that was present in the original persist to a degree that makes it sound like they reused the cod3.