Kerbal Space Program

I meant to mention how amazing your pics look. I’ve got to get back into KSP, but the massive amount of mods I need to get going is holding me back.

What mods are you using?

Here’s my current list. I’m trying to keep it pretty slim. These and their dependencies.

Visuals:

• scatterer
  • Parallax
  • EVE

Utility

• Science Alert
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator
  • MechJeb (might be able to get away without this now, but I haven’t fully investigated the newer UI features.)

Career

• Probes Before Crew (I also turn off parts, tourism, and survey contracts using Contract Configurator, which is a PBC dependency.)
  • Strategia (I’m not sure if I need this. PBC only is probably ok.)

I also have Principia installed, just to check it out, but I probably won’t keep it.

Cool, txs!

My list is a bit bigger. mostly quality of life additions…

All Y’All (AllYAll 1:0.11.19.1)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit v112.0.1)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack v112.0.1)
Connected Living Space (ConnectedLivingSpace v2.0.2.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 2.1.4)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.3)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Exploration Plus (ContractConfigurator-ExplorationPlus 2.0.1)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.10)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.9)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.9)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.10.0.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Harmony 2 (Harmony2 2.2.1.0)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.14.0.0)
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems v1.6.16)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.12.1-139)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.14.1.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.2)
Parallax (Parallax 2.0.0)
Parallax - Stock Planet Textures (Parallax-StockTextures 2.0.0)
Parallax - Stock Scatter Textures (Parallax-StockScatterTextures 2.0.0)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.6)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.6)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
Scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0838)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0838)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0838)
Ship Manifest (ShipManifest 6.0.6.0)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.3)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.8.0.0)

Some of that is installed with Parallax or Eve…

The cool about KSP being done is no longer worrying about updates breaking all your mods.

I don’t think you need KAC or TWP anymore. Squad hired TriggerAu to integrate them into the base game.

Do those contract packs actually work? I’ve not had good luck with that lately.

Better Burn Time crashes my game–some conflict with another mod–otherwise I’d have that too.

Wow that looks amazing, but damn it, I’m done with KSP. I’m waiting for KSP2.

Will this mod work with existing saves? Maybe I could just try a few landings at Minimus and Mum…
How come my backlog never shrinks?

So after seeing your post, I thought about it and went back and removed those. TWP still has the nice graph that you can use to find another window that might fit better in your schedule, but its a small thing. Here’s my list, sans the dependencies and why I ended on this:

All Y’All (AllYAll 1:0.11.19.1) - To this day I have the bad habit of forgetting to assign my action groups. This helps with some of that.

BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10) - Just handy for timing things right

ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:2.1.10.18) - Helps cut down on the strange clicks

Connected Living Space (ConnectedLivingSpace v2.0.2.0) - This one might go away, but its a realism mod that just “groks” in my head better then the normal kerbal behavior

Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 2.1.4)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.3)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Exploration Plus (ContractConfigurator-ExplorationPlus 2.0.1)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.10)
Contract packs do work, and I pick the ones that fit with the playstyle that suits me. I don’t like all the “test the parts” missions and the “fly over to this spot” missions. I prefer the space stations, moving Kerbals about, etc. Screenshot below

Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.9)
Scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0838)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Parallax (Parallax 2.0.0)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.6)
These are all beautification mods

Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.10.0.0) - The one crutch I can’t live without. I struggle with the camera when trying to eyeball docking without a nice alignment mod. This is my preferred one.

I do not like to do many parts mods, but there are a few I stick in to meet my playstyle:
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems v1.6.16) - So KSP doesn’t really come with decent parts for surface space stations. Over the years I’ve tried RoverDudes stuff, These, the waggoneer looking ones but I like the look of these the best.
MSP-3000 Material Science Pod (MSP3000 v1.1) - So this is a science JR, but with the same shape and weight as a goo pack. Very handy in later missions when that 1.25 canister just doesn’t fit where you need it to.
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4) - I like putting up satellites, and these are fun and have a nice contract pack that matches them.

MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.14.1.0) - I don’t technically need this one anymore, but still use it because of a couple of features, mainly the easy node tools and landing tools. I start using them after the 4-5th manual landing when you get to the missions that have 3-4 launches at once.

ScienceAlert ReAlerted (ScienceAlert 1.9.10.1) - Warns me when there’s a new EVA report available. Worth it just for that =)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.3) - shows extended trajectories past the next orbit, capture trajectories, etc. very nice visual guide.

EDIT to include pic of first landing somewhere. so nifty!

Love those photos. Nice flag!!! :)

I don’t use either of KAC or TWP but my understanding is they are more full-featured than the integrated versions, particularly KAC. YMMV.

(I used to have KAC installed but my saves weren’t really advancing to where it was really useful so I dropped it. Never did use TWP.)

My list is very close to Fozzle’s. But, I do like some parts packs so in addition to what they have, I’m using most of Nertea’s Near Future stuff. Also the ReStock reskins of all the stock parts.

I like the concept of Connected Living Spaces but I kept discovering problems mid-flight so I gave up on it. I am not an EVA pro that could’ve worked around the problems!

Ugh. Its been months since I touched my save, I have no idea what I was planning. Time to start over again! I’ll make it to Duna some day…

Things are really heating up for KSP.

So… Reading the KSP2 topic made me realize I want to wait for the game to have a bit less “early” in its “access.” So, gonna reinstall KSP and relearn orbital dynamics in the meantime.

For those of you who’ve kept playing (I haven’t played in a couple of years), outside of MechJeb, what are the must-have mods for a sandbox player nowadays?

• DPAI - Docking Port Alignment Indicator – basically required for docking. The game has no mechanism to tell you your vessel’s alignment relative to the docking port axis. This mod provides that and a better docking UI.
  • KER - Kerbal Engineer Redux. MechJeb actually has all of the info in this mod, but I like KER better for whatever reason. Highly configurable.
  • KAC - Kerbal Alarm Clock. I’m not sure if this mod still works but it was invaluable for returning from warp and setting alarms for various conditions.
  • TWP - Transfer Window Planner. You can use the web version at alexmun’s site, but it’s nice to have in-game.

And then whatever fun/visual mods you like and/or still work. It’s fun to add extra planets, especially for sandbox, so you might try Outer Planets Mod.

• Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is a must IMO.
    Makes the rocket less wobbly and reduces the need for endless duct tape.

A pared-down equivalent was incorporated into stock, but the mod was still working in 1.12.x last time I fired it up, which has been a while.

Thanks, guys. These all sound like they do a nice job of addressing pain points from when I played before!

If KSP2 crashes and burns, there’s a guy making a mod compendium.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1cm8n9y/comment/l3t152r/?context=3

I’m trying to install his CKAN list, but these two screens are different. I load up his file and it brings me this which is perfect:

…but when I click install it’s all different and I don’t even see some of the mods on the list here. Like the minor planets. What am I doing wrong?

First thought: is everything compatible with your KSP version? By default it only shows mods that are flagged compatible, including I believe all dependencies. I dunno if 1.12.5 and 1.12.5.3190 are considered the same.

I’m not sure. I’ll have to try again when I get discharged from the hospital.

Also, I just noticed the mod list in your second screenshot, based on the text at the top, isnt the initial list of mods you selected to install, but the additional mods those mods suggest. Looks like mostly suggestions from EVE and some community parts thing. I’d guess the “manage mods” tab has the list of mods you wanted to install that are in your first screenshot.