Kickstarting and Screaming

Backed.

Only the 3rd KS I backed and the first one since 2012. Arcen deserve to persevere.

Backed AI War 2 as soon as I saw the Kickstarter. It’s worth it even if it adds nothing but a cleaner UI to the first game.

I’m with you. I’d love to back this but since I am too dumb for the first game, I’m not sure if I will understand the second one. I’d rather be playing Spaz, not the same thing, but yeah, space!

Every time I back something (and I do it rarely) I get the itch to just start backing everything that looks remotely interesting. Money! Money for everyone!

Can anybody else relate to this urge?

Looking at my empty wallet, Yes, I can relate!

Yes. I’m actually sorry that I didn’t back Star Citizen. Someone take my wallet please.

Don’t be.

There’s still something to fight for. The 350k milestone enables them to do it their way without a publisher.

I am serious. In the beginning I was sure that nothing would come of it, except another No Man’s Sky. But now I think, in time, there will be a good game here. Maybe even great, if not delayed a whole lot because of overreaching and technical issues. Maybe I’m wrong. But I still think it will happen. Just not anytime soon.

If it does, I’d like some backer tchotchkes. :)

I saw that too and wow. Wonderful personality and feeling comes through with such high production values. Really impressive.

Kickstarted in the Butt

I’m so greatful for Kickstarter to allow for things like this to exist.

Fair Warning: This is a peripheral rant related to the website above and not to kickstarter. I was just reading an article about how readability on the web has decreased due to new guidelines that talk about lessening the amount of contrast between text and background. So text is moving from blacker to grayer and backgrounds are moving from whiter to greater.

The result is, less contrast between page elements making pages more difficult to read, especially for older folks. That website above decided for some reason to make hyperlinks light gray. For the life of me I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea, but they did. In my feeble imagination, things that are gray are usually interpreted as disabled or inactive. Not things you can click on! In fact, on my Chrome browser on the iPad, the entire side bar is gray text.

I am outraged!!

OK, back to talking about kickstarter.

The Kickstarter for a 2nd edition of Monsterhearts, Avery Alder’s classic first-wave PBTA game of teenage monsters and the awkward, frequently ill-advised romances and feuds and such they get into has launched. Basic PDF buy-in is $13 Canadian (around $10 US) unless you are poor or a queer teen, in which case you are offered an honor-system price of $8 CAD. Will reportedly feature polishing, addressing the asexuality spectrum, a couple of new skins, etc.

I’m so glad to see this. I love Avery’s ‘The Quiet Year’ and have heard great stuff about Monsterhearts, so I picked up the first version a while ago but haven’t had a chance to look through it.

And speaking of wonderful tabletop games, how about collaborative storytelling centered on building (and losing) a constructing language:

Wow. That’s fascinating! Thanks for sharing! I’m doing work (as a hobby) right now in a similar vein, and this looks really neat. Backing.

One Shot did a two episode Actual Play of it if you’re curious how it plays.

Cool. Thanks. I don’t really do actual plays (visor our audio), but I just might have to check that out.

Most of the tiers claim you’ll get credit in the book(s):

Build a language, build a world. A full-color softcover book and deck of
cards ready to play the game in complete form. Credit in the book as
one of the original playful language supporters and our hearty thanks.

But I imagine they’ll soon run out of paper. Even now they’re on

1,789 backers
30 days to go

That’s already a couple of pages worth of names, assuming 3 or so per line in a tiny font?

I suspect they might have to change this promise :)