Kickstarting and Screaming

Haha you never disappoint Brian. :)

Seems the kickstarter for Unsung Story is dead. I don’t believe a playable build was ever released. 3 1/2 years with nothing playable to show for it. Most impressive!

To All Unsung Story Backers,

Thank you for the support you have shown to make this project happen. Through the trials we have had as a company over the last few years, Playdek has strived to keep the project alive, as we believe in the game and the story that Yasumi Matsuno designed to set it in. To that, we want to let you know that the project is going to continue forward, but our involvement is coming to an end.

Effective immediately publisher/developer Little Orbit has taken over all the rights and assets to Unsung Story from Playdek, and is now the project creator. They believe strongly the game can be an amazing Tactics RPG, and they are excited to carry on and bring Matsuno’s story to life. They will be bringing you project news from this point on to update everyone on their plans for the game.

Again, we want to thank you for your support of this project, and though we are sorry that we were unable to complete it for you, we believe the project is in good hands, with people who have the same passion for the game. Please send all questions concerning the project, backer inquiries and development discussions to [email protected]. Thank you.

Playdek

15,824 backers pledged $660,126 to help bring this project to life.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/1952544?ref=backer_project_update

“We’re passing this to a different, hopefully more competent developer” isn’t quite the same as “this project is dead”. Not that I’m saying it’s necessarily not going to end up dead in the long run, but as long as someone’s actively working on it there is still a chance.

For Seven Days To Die types, Dead Matter looks like an almost direct challenge to that game sans the Mincraftian aspects. They are claiming steam playable in 6 months.

set in Alberta, CA

Looks cool. I’ll check it out when it releases though. i have enough may never complete survival games as it is.

Hey - if I already have your edition from 10 years ago… and I only use the standard/old-school modes… is this adding anything?

Or is it mainly new changes to the enhanced modes?

Standard/Advanced games are the same. I am too religious about that to change those. But you get all the open sourced benefits (AI/World Building), as well as a better facilitating interface, new victory conditions, optional rules, just to name a few. Focus is really to put both prior games under one roof. People that liked the older style of play got left behind with an older stale interface and 640K type limitations. There should be a lot of info and video to see if you like the changes before it is all said and done. I have planned an update almost everyday, so @BrianRubin is going to get spammed before it is all over.

Silicon Void is up, I worry that $96k may be a bit much.

Love Empire and I’ll back it for sure! Lost so many hours to the Amiga port Bob Rakosky did.

I just realized it’s the 10th anniversary of Bob’s death. (Lung cancer, he was only 3 years older than I am now.) :(

Spent a lot of time hanging with Bob at early CGDC conferences. Super nice, brilliant, and humble guy, with a great sense of humor.

(Mark Baldwin’s a great guy too! Just happened to see a lot more of Bob back in the day…)

Miss ya, Bob. Thanks for all the wonderful time lost to Empire Deluxe.

“Second the good news. And I want to make this absolutely clear - Little Orbit will honor the Kickstarter backer rewards at no extra cost. I can’t know how frustrating this has been for the many fans of this game.”

I have no idea how they are going to do that but it’s… amazing if they pull it off and deliver the rewards at no cost.

Interesting. The artwork looks really nice. Although, “starting over from scratch” sounds very ominous.

Anyone kickstarting Renegade, the cyberpunk deck building game from Victory Point Games? Looks cool but I don’t know enough about it to make the call if it’s worth going in on.

Damn! Empire and Empire Deluxe are my jams! Pledged!

I almost missed this one.

I’d love to support both VPG and Ricky Royal but the theme doesn’t interest me. Hope it does well!

I was considering it, but the basic mechanics seem pretty simplistic and I’ve already got an entry-level coop game in Flash Point that I don’t play enough (speaking of which, they’re kickstarting another expansion that adds events to Flash Point along with a couple of previous KS extras). It’s conceivable that the challenges and AI opponent types complicate matters enough to make it a heavier game than it looks from the rulebook but without actually getting to look at them (and they may not be written yet), I didn’t feel like risking it.

I got an email today that Resurgence was dead and the studio behind it was done. I don’t even remember what kind of game it was.

I didn’t even read the Empire kickstarter, but just backed it right away. Lost so many hours to the Atari ST version back in the day, especially playing hotseat against a friend.

Huh? How would I know? You’d have to ask someone who plays those games. I didn’t play barbie video games even when I was a girl.

It’s pretty good.

I can’t imagine adding more to yet another unfinished game but I will be watching this.