Kickstarting and Screaming

Lordnine, a regular over at Octopus Overlords, has gone and designed a boardgame.

It is apparently “Like Agricola, except if you forget to feed your sheep in Agricola they don’t eat your visitors.”

Backed.

It’s absolutely the deepest and most amazing tactical RPG featuring Barbie and puppies that I have ever not played.

I am going to have a keep an eye on this one. I can’t bring myself to back more at the moment, but I love this theme.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game/description

I’ve been following this KS since I’m a big ole’ ASoIaF nerd. Haven’t painted minis since the very early 90s though, so there’s an additional cost to buy into the game. But still very, very tempted by it.

Had that on my watch list as well. Seems neat.

Not really a fan of the way they put non-combat leaders into the scenarios, though. Seems a bit of a heavy-handed way to get popular characters into the mix.

Minitaures look great, but I’ve gotta keep it real with myself–no way I’m painting them.

Yeah, I think it’ll be real easy to unbalance the game with NCUs.

I’m worried I’ll buy in and paint maybe a dozen, maybe less, and then a year later all the paints are dried up and I’m staring at dozens of monochrome pieces of plastic.

So, I am on a Fig mailing list for previews of upcoming projects, and it appears that SWERY, best known for the bizarre and extremely unique Deadly Premonition, is turning to Fig with his new studio White Owls to make a “mystery RPG” called The Good Life, where a reporter comes to the happiest small town in the world. And one reason they are so happy? Everyone in the town turns into a cat at night. Including you. Some areas and routes will only be accessible as a cat, apparently.

Super psyched.

Dead Matter, what seems to be a 7D2D knockoff, is in its last 5 hours. At about $220K, I think they are about stretch goaled out.

The Game of Thrones KS ended last night on a great note, unlocking all the SGs including a pretty large replica of the Iron Throne (which is going to take a helluva lot of black primer and wash to paint). Brienne was the last miniature unlocked.

I absolutely wanted to back it but I have such a huge backlog of things to paint that it just wasn’t really feasible. Besides, the major characters were the only things that are really unique to it. :(

My pledge gives me 200 minis when it launches and CMON supposedly has a very aggressive schedule for new factions, units, and heroes next year. So we’re talking a huge backlog to paint right out of the gate. I’m going to draft my 10yo son for bulk, assembly line duties like cleaning and primering the minis.

Make sure to post your progress over in the QT3 hobby desk thread. I’m really interested to see how those hero characters turn out!

Skeptical but in

Be careful. Did you check out the Prototype gallery? It is very slow on the most easily etched surfaces like paper and candy. The leather engraving and chair was sped up at least 10x or more. Batch work, like someone doing 3 dozen cupcakes is going to take longer to engrave than to actually bake and frost.

It seems deceptive when the primary marketing doesn’t show real time events. They left out engraving wood or leather from the prototype shots because maybe people wouldn’t consider it a good option for those materials after seeing it take 20 minutes to engrave a Darwin fish on a piece of wood. They’re marketing it like a workshop laser when in reality its just an expensive toy.

I too noticed the engraving time and thought they were being more than a little dishonest in particular when showing it being used to engrave a pancake in a cafe setting (either that or that cafe has the world’s most patient customers).

I missed the kickstarter, but I dig the feature pitch and setting. Struck me as something like Dayz meets Project Zomboid or something. I’ll be interested to see what happens with it and I think I’d be pretty thrilled if they pulled it off.

Check this:

If you don’t know this guy, watch a few of his other vids - he does tool tear downs and evaluates their construction. I am not sure of his background, but he sure seems to know his material, electrical and industrial engineering. His take on this thing is not positive.

His Juicero review is awesome, btw:

Thanks for that BOLTR Juicero link, was pretty interesting to watch how over-designed that piece was.

Edit: Watching one about the Blendtec now - good stuff.

Did not realize the AvE guy did Kickstarter reviews. He’s pretty great.