Kickstarting and Screaming

At least they’re trying. It says a lot about the attempt as opposed to what most companies do today.

My understanding is that Fig was created by gaming companies (and others) to create a fee structure less punitive to them than kickstarter – so the game companies get more of the money you invest.

It also allows some other investment options, or at least that was the plan. Unsure how well that went over with securities regulators.

Fig finally cleared the investment hurdles last year and had their first profitable payout to those investers in July:

Fig seems interesting. I respect the folks involved a lot.

It is really about market exposure, and I think KS still has that as #1. Their forum software and the way one interacts with backers is amazingly primitive.

Yeah, basically. Facebook has certainly proved that you don’t have to have the best service or functionality to dominate as long as you have the majority of the userbase.

Microsoft proved that a long time ago.

Henry Ford proved that long ago.

Or at least I think he did. I have the impression early ford cars weren’t top of the range but had the market share.

I may be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

They had actual consumer advantages, like being relatively affordable. Facebook is awful but no one will switch to something better because literally everyone else would also have to switch to continue the primary purpose of using them at all.

Ahh I get the distinction. A version of too big to fail?

Tom posted his Patreon vid where he counter recommands (for its name only) Achtung Cthulhu.
Well the stars are strange indeed, as I just got an email promoting a pseudo kickstarter (looks pretty much like a preorder store) for some videogame… adaptation? spinoff? of it.

Hah, the local RPG meetup I’m in is running their January-March Semi Organized Play group campaign using that ruleset. It’s going really well!

Aw, I was hoping Achtung! Cthulhu was going to be U2’s next album.

The 7th Continent 2nd edition base game arrived today, right in line with the estimated ‘March 2018’ delivery window. Bodes well for the second half of the project coming later in the year!

I think we in Australia are (surprisingly) the first country to get it. Hopefully others aren’t too far off.

Iron Harvest Kickstarter started today!

It’s already closing in on 30% of the minimum of 450k$.
I’m a bit surpised the whole production budget will be 5.2M$, including the 1M$ seed money already spent by King Art. Thought it would be much less.

Videogames are expensive. Much more so than people think. It’s a difficulty with crowdfunding them.

This looks really cool, but $45 is a bit too much for me to gamble on it. Going on my watch list though!

I’d never heard of “The World of 1920+”. Apparently it’s artwork featuring a mechanized post-WWI. Very cool prints of the works are available on metal plates here. I wish there were books too, as it’s an intriguing setting I’d love to read stories set within.

I also discovered this amazing multi-plate Blade Runner-esque cityscape print at the same site that I really really like (and my wife would hate and never let me hang in the house)! But if I ever get divorced, this is my first purchase afterwards! =)

Today in the post I received two reprinted High Frontier Cards from OSS games.
Evidently there was a BGG thread about it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1797521/oss-reprinting-mis-printed-cards