Kickstarting and Screaming

Thanks for linking that… it looks pretty interesting and possibly a good fit for our gaming group.

This sounds awesome with the right group of people.

That looks like fun!

It’s worker placement season on Kickstarter.

New edition of Pret a Porter:

Dinogenics reprint + inveitable expansion:

Decided to go through my still pending release Kickstarters, here is what I am still waiting for:

Still look good:
ASYLUM: From the designer of Scratches (ongoing , 2020 release?)
Witchmarsh (ongoing , 2020 release?)
Ray’s the Dead (ongoing , 2020 release?)
BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION (ongoing , 2020 release?)
DARKSIDE DETECTIVE S2 (ongoing , 2020 release?)
Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG (ongoing , 2020 release?)

Dead, money lost…
ROAM (DEAD)
The Mandate (DEAD)
That Which Sleeps (DEAD)
Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game (DEAD)

After backing a few dozen games between 2012 and 2015… I didn’t back any games in 2016. And only 1 game in 2017, backed 2 games in 2018, and 2019 is half over with me not backing anything new.

Still coming…eventually?

• SpaceVenture

Dead?

• Last Life
  • Coolest Cooler
  • Outerlands documentary??

Ouch.

Oh, look. A gigantic open-world MMORPG in the style of a GTAV roleplaying server asking for a little over $78k as the goal. Totally doable with a teeny indie crew, with some team members just out of high school, right?

Blew past its funding goal and hit $193K, because people are gullible.

Suspended by Kickstarter.

I confess I don’t understand why anyone believes a good MMO can be made on a Kickstarter budget.

A couple new coop boardgame Kickstarters that may be worth a look:

From the Tainted Grail/Nemesis/Lords of Hellas/This War of Mine (boardgame) etc people and the designer of Neuroshima Hex. Looks cool, is doing gangbusters. Still a little while as of this writing to get the day one bonus if you’re so inclined.

A new expansion for Dice Throne (which I love so far as a light dicey PvP game) that turns it into a randomized dungeon crawler compatible with all 16 season 1 and 2 characters, along with a production upgrade for season 1 characters to match season 2, and 2 print and play characters officially printed.

Of the two, I’d back Dice Throne for sure, but as a sucker I also backed Etherfields.

I’m interested. The way the campaign sounds ‘fluid’ interests me a lot, not to mention the artwork, etc. And I do like that there’s a miniatures-less ( or at least fewer) version.

On the other hand, Sleeping Gods (the next game from Ryan Laukat, in the vein of Near & Far) is supposed to start in the next few weeks. And do I need another adventure game?

I think I posted a video preview of that one in the boardgaming thread and it looks awesome. If I’m going to spend any money on a board game KS this summer, it’s going to be that one.

Yeah, I saw that video, thanks! I watched it even though I hate watching videos about games and such.

But the draw for Etherfields remains strong.

I wasn’t into game videos either, but the production standard of boardgaming videos has gone up so much in recent years that it’s nearly like having a boardgaming show on in the background. So I often have a channel running on my second monitor. That’s how Sleeping Gods caught my eye.

I’m not sure about Etherfields.

I look at this kind of pre-production picture on BGG:

And it makes me think I don’t need yet another tile laying crawl game with overwrought miniatures.

But maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. I’ll have a look to see if anyone wrote a good preview of the game to tell me what it brings to the table. I think I glimpsed a Man vs Meeple preview that did nothing for me.

EDIT: Found this preview by someone who played it at UKGE where Awaken Realms chimes in on concerns about randomness and replayability:

I didn’t realise it was aiming more towards the 7th Continent experience. Must have been distracted during that preview. But then again, I haven’t played 7th Continent. So I don’t know whether I’d enjoy that. So many games, so little time.

Minis are more of a turn off for me than a selling point at this point, but Tainted Grail and Etherfields both have a pretty minimal set of minis in the actual game box and put most of them in an optional addon. I’d have put all the minis in the addon, but this is at least enough of a de-emphasis to keep me interested.

Holy shit that video was over the top. I hesitate to think how many hundreds or thousands of man hours went into making that alone.

Using licenced vehicles was never going to fly, but the C4 corvette at the end was a nice treat.

I like it when a Kickstarter goes smoothly.

I backed Vindication at the end of January, and today we got this update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orangenebula/vindication-boardgame/posts/2570182

Remember how we estimated fulfillment in October? Yeah. To heck with that.

How about we move that forward a bit. As in - production is finished, games have already crossed oceans (miraculously dodging: storms, pirates, tariff threats) and are now in warehouses where they are being prepped to head to your front door months earlier than originally forecast.

Let’s reiterate this magnificent point: Fulfillment will be beginning before the end of July - 3 months ahead of schedule!!

Some nice component pictures (including the new solo adventures stuff) in that update.

Works for me!

A Kickstarter that fulfills early? Crazy talk.

I’ve had a tiny handful of over 350 projects backed do that. I was starting to think Greater Than Games had their shit together enough to do that consistently, and then OblivAeon ran like a year plus late. Oh well.

(O_O)

I mean, seven years is a long time.

I couldn’t even buy 50 actual finished Steam games in a year. That’s one a week.