Kickstarting and Screaming

Then you aren’t trying very hard.

But I haven’t backed much in the way of videogame projects since like…2014 maybe? When it started to become clear that I didn’t care about supporting most random smaller projects (particularly because the genres I most care about are no longer lying fallow in general), nostalgia pitches were dubious prospects, and most of the time when stuff funded I’d get the same results for less by just waiting for it to go on sale or get bundled after launch. Also, while in general very few of the projects I’ve backed have outright failed, almost every single one that has has been a videogame project.

What I do back a lot of is small dollar PDF pledges for tabletop RPGs and/or supplements for same (though not D&D supplements, D&D will be fine without me), expansions for boardgames I already own, and sometimes cheapo small box games like The Shipwreck Arcana or, you know, Small Box Games games. Along with larger pledges at more like one every month-ish, preferably less often although it’s hard to resist.

It’s really hard on the wallet when we get clusters like Dice Throne, Etherfields, Middara, and the near term arrival of Volume 3 of Hexplore It. :(

After the recent issues with Golden Bell asking for more money (voluntary donation) to deliver Unbroken, they have managed to mismanage funds again for their next campaign about to be delivered:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/cgjonl/backed_a_game_called_peasant_buffet_bad_moon/

The poster backed the game for $35 with free shipping within the US. Then got this:

Quote from their update: " Here is where we are with the project. The game is finished and ready for manufacturing. We are on a VERY tight budget due to the increases MOQs, costs rising in china, and shipping charges. We will be charging roughly $25 for US Shipping and slightly higher for overseas for the game."

One of the replies to the post lists other issues with Golden Bell Kickstarters. Definitely not the kind of company I plan to back in the future.

Blame the tariffs?

Blame but having a clue on how to manage a project apparently.

The problem is that they usually get involved “to help” after the Kickstarter has funded. So not sure how easy to avoid they will be.

There are no extra huge tariffs, that never went ahead.

Unbroken fulfillment outside of the US confirmed to be a mess. Lots of “unforeseen issues” in the latest update:

And then a Google form to check: how much money can we demand from you to ship you your game?

So far:

Imgur

Sleeping Gods is live:

I find cooperative storytelling games hard not to at least have a look at… Temptation, temptation.

Goddamn you, Ryan Laukat. It’s not enough that he can do design, art, and production of entire board games himself, but he ALSO PLAYS TRUMPET ON THE KICKSTARTER VIDEOS!?!?

I just got Pearlbrook expansion for Everdell 2 months before it is due. Epic.

I love how all the credits on the video are Laukat family members.

Rahdo’s preview makes the game look awesome:

I’m sold.

Here or I Hate This Guy?

Here

I got mine. Haven’t opened it yet, but early, 30 for a expansion plus a giant mini (okay I’ll admit it, not a huge fan of minis but it’s there).

Looks like Cloudspire, from the folks that make Too Many Bones, will be shipping out next week. Really looking forward to this as the production quality for their other games is through the roof.

Nice. Still waiting for my shipping notice. I can’t wait to try it. I think I’ll stick with the vanilla game mode the first few plays though. Did you have any favourite expansions to go with base Vindication? The game nearly feels like it comes with too much optional stuff.

I got the expansion because I can’t resist a bundle. The leaders look pretty interesting. But that’s even more stuff to pick from. I better play that game quite a bit!

I think the mini is used in the new solo mode, which I’m interested to try.

I can’t wait for the game. Hope it doesn’t disappoint.

We have not actually really played with any of the expansions. I say not really but there is a minor part we added, the cursed items, bad followers stuff. The main drive for that is there is an element of the game where you can choose what you can see, gamble with the deck or pay to get a wider selection of choices. Knowing that some followers and items are not good caused more people to be willing to pay for their choice. Otherwise, they know I have more to add to the game but we’ve chosen to wait until we need fresh material to add it which hasn’t happened yet. So all those neat minis and this new one, haven’t come out on our table yet.

Sleeping Gods has pretty much reached all its stretch goals (except for a super duper fancy box cover).

With less than 48 hours to go, the backers have unlocked additional storytelling content, dungeons - each with their own storyline to explore - upgraded components and a very nice upgraded storage system within the box. The latest unlock is also a more advanced tactical combat set of rules. Not sure exactly what it entails though (except for crew tokens and flanking rules).

Some of those will make it into retail, others, like the painted metal ship, metal coins or the dungeons content will not.

That was enough for me to back the base game. If I really like it, I’m sure I’ll be able to find the expansion at retail some time next year.

The KS is worth a last look if you are curious about the game:

@malkav11, you were the one that ran a game of this for our RPG group a while back, right? I remember it being a lot of fun for a one off. Just saw this one pop up yesterday. Seems expensive for what you get but thought I’d put it up here just in case.

Insofar as one runs Fiasco, yes. I think the old approach is more flexible and a lot cheaper, but apparently the cards make setup pretty fast.

Play with mini’s? Do you have one that you love but rarely like to travel with it for fear of it getting damaged, else have to bring a large box to protect them? A friend of mine has put together this KS to offer protection for these mini’s

Another line in the history books. Dead Matter, the long delayed 6 months to alpha zombie shoot’em up is now delayed again for a closed backer review until March 2020.

https://playdeadmatter.com/blog/posts/Vlog-09-and-Progress-Update

I suspect some backers will be carrying pitch forks and torches to this one. At least they better hope so, as the alternative is no one even cares at this point.