Kickstarting and Screaming

Frankly, it’s kind of a slide-show.

I was intrigued, because I thought you meant there is a DOCUMENTARY about how MYST got KICKSTARTED, instead of a KICKSTARTER FOR A DOCUMENTARY about making MYST.

Yeah, I thought the same thing for a moment, then I remember that Myst came out before the internet, much less Kickstarter! (well, ok, not really before the internet, but close enough)

One of the first 2 games I got for my brand new and just released double speed CD-ROM player: Myst and The Seventh Guest.

So much data in one place!

Until then, I had several boxes of 3.5" floppies where games could span 7 1.4 MB floppy disks.

I’ve always had a nostalgic fondness for those 2 games since.

Yeah, for me “Kickstarted” has mostly just morphed into generic term for “crowdfunded”.

Also not a thing in 1993.

Stop ruining everything with your so-called facts!

If anyone was on the fence about Unsettled by Orange Nebula, they have reopened preorders on Crowdox during GenCon only:

For reference, it’s a sci fi survival game with what seems like a mix of exploration, euro mechanics and resource management. It’s due around October, November based on the latest estimates, I believe.

They will be selling the game on their website while they have stock afterwards. At the price, it likely makes sense to wait for reviews. But Vindication is sometimes hard to get a hold of (between print runs) and my wife and I love that game to bits. So we backed Unsettled last December, when nobody yet knew what life in confinement was our thought much or at all about masks. Distant and simpler times…

Still very much looking forward to it.

Did a quick search and didn’t see any mention of the Eiyuden kickstarter campaign that launched recently from a bunch of the creators behind Suikoden.

This one was an insta-back for me as I’m coincidentally playing the first game right now on my Vita. The staff looks really strong and the visual design that combines pixel art and 3D like Octopath looks incredible.

Great news:

UPDATE #123

Backer Beta testing is starting now!

• Beta testing will be available to $30 and up backers as that was one of the rewards for backing at that level and higher
  • VERY IMPORTANT: If you are hoping to play SpaceVenture in the state it is meant to be played in, that will be spoiler and bug free, you may not want to take part in this process. Regardless, you are welcomed to download the Beta version anytime you want if you are a qualified backer.
  • We are currently only Beta testing the Windows version of the game, but we will release the others when we are ready.

Yeah, I saw that from the Kickstarter emails. And…

oof. That looks ROUGH.

Thanks for posting this, by the way. I clicked yesterday and looked and hemmed and hawed, and ultimately didn’t back it again. It does look cool. But I have Sleeping God’s and Etherfields coming in that time frame, and I have no idea when I’ll actually see my friends again for proper boardgaming (i.e., not online). Similarly, there was that big Amazon sale last week, and a few thinks that looked ok, but who would I play them with? It’s depressing.

Maybe if we ever have a Seattle area boardgamers meetup, and assuming we ever get past this pandemic, we can play my copy of Unsettled. I am anxiously awaiting my copy.

That would be cool. We had that one scheduled for early March, heh. Didn’t quite make it.

That’s why I just bought a couple of those little-box cheapo “Adventure Games” titles, which SU&SD recommended as solo experiences.

Yeah, I got Hexplore It a month or so back for that, and a bundleofholding that was for solo stuff- played around with a few of them. Been thinking of homebrewing my own campaign system using Battleground: Fantasy Warfare since it kind of runs on autopilot, but I’ve been enmeshed in home remodeling and motorbike modding, and my workbench/gaming table is a mess.

To bring this back around to topic, at least it looks like Etherfields will work ok solo? Sleeping Gods, at least, I’m pretty sure I can get my gal to play.

Interesting, looks like yet another boardgame based on The Thing is being kickstarted:

I never tried the other game based on The Thing, I wonder which is better?

The other licensed one, anyway. There’s been others that are just very wink wink nudge nudge never heard of that Thing thing m8.

Yeah, I mean an actual official The Thing game. If you look at the artwork, they clearly based the characters on the actors who played them. I assume that costs money, beyond licensing the IP.

Maybe, but there’s been a lot of minis made for non-licensed games that clearly emulate the likeness of the actors from famous films without, y’know, technically making them that character.