Kickstarting and Screaming

Except apparently this one launched in 2021… during the pandemic? My only recent crowdfunding experience was an Awaken Realms one that launched in late 2020, and delivered very late, but without additional cost.

It’s still possible that issues from pre-pandemic KSes have impacted their cashflow etc in ways they couldn’t have foreseen…but on the other hand, probably you shouldn’t be structuring your business that way.

Meh. I have little sympathy for them. How about… don’t launch a KS when you have years left in development. I’ve decided I’m pretty much done with any crowdfunding project that has more than a year on its timeline, and probably even that is too much. Especially for a company like this that has several games under its belt already.

I’m beginning to feel like these are somewhat similar to ponzi schemes- running a new KS to pay for the delivery of the last KS, then running another one to pay for this one. What happened to building a sustainable business model, and just, you know, releasing regular product?

That attitude is so pre-Star Citizen!

I’ve only backed a few KS things. The one KS I did put a bit of money into was Warmachine Tactics, which was delivered but was a bit disappointing. I didn’t feel burned because I felt the effort was there on the part of the devs, but like many games it just didn’t turn out as hoped.

The only other KS things I’ve backed have been books. Those are minor investments, $10 for an ebook or so.

what a surprise, it’s Mythic Games again… After Darkest Dungeon and the “shipping contribution” situation I know I will never back a Mythic Game again. If I am an “investor” and not just a customer, then I would like to have all financial numbers. If I am a customer I don’t want to pay additional money, sorry.

Also, they are always late with their projects… so why even bother?

I don’t understand that attitude. If you want games immediately, you should not use crowdfunding or pre-order anything. If you want the thing but can wait, why does it matter if they’re good at projecting timelines as long as you get it?

Mythic Games, Steamforge Games are on my blacklist. They were really disappointing. I am fine with delays but not if it is happening all the time.

We are dozens of disappointed backers, dozens of us, I can tell you.

I presume Blacklist Games is also on your blacklist.

I am really burned by Mythic Games. I don’t think I will see Darkest Dungeon wave 2. Ever … It looks like they are investing money from current campaigns for financing old projects… like a pyramid scheme. It’s not only the money, I was really looking forward for wave 2 expansions, sigh

No, Blacklist Games is on his Mythic list!

Well, after 3 years, I finally received Vampire: The Masquerade: Chapters today. Not only is it 2 years late, but apparently there’s a lot of eratta. Like, enough of the game that they’re releasing pdfs of all 70+(!) included books online so you can just reference them that way. Many (most?) of the cards are affected, too.

This was one of the projects that has burned me out on crowdfunding. I ordered it so many years ago, and now my own/group’s preferences have shifted significantly in the meantime. Do I even still want it? Will it get played? We’re somewhat burned out on campaign games- none for literally decades, and now such a glut. Do I just sell it on? Keep it for when we’re all in the old folks’ home? hmmm.

It was inevitable after the success of Fireball Island! The original board game that is actually a toy! (Or is it a toy that is actually a board game?)

Crossbows & Catapults is being kickstarted by Restoration Games

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/crossbows-and-catapults

C&C is a seminal childhood artifact for me–a toy that came with some rules to give shape to the play. I never actually owned it, but I had games in the same style like Immortals of Change (futuristic C&C) and Torpedo Run.

Looks like a lot has changed both game mechanically and literally mechanically with the new version, which is fascinating. The original had a pad with the “crown” you were defending. Your opponent had to get a disc onto that crown. Not sure if I ever played long enough to accomplish a real win.

But also the crossbows and catapults are totally redesigned. No rubber bands. They seem to rely on the flexibility of the plastic. And there are mechanisms to adjust your aim/power. Seems like that will provide more consistency in your shots, at least in theory.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’m backing this because the base version is pretty skimpy on parts. But I’m glad to see the game coming back and hope it’s a really good revision.

I wonder about the durability of the plastic being used for the tension, over time.

we played the hell out of the original. doubled up the rubber bands to play even farther apart. it was hilarious fun. No, I’m not backing this. I’m even less likely to get it to the table than Thunder Road.

I’m thinking the basic version might be worth it for me. I’m sure my 5 and 10 year olds would love it.

I had Immortals of Change, but I’m not sure I ever learned to play it correctly. The base version of this new Crossbows and Catapults seems simple enough, though.

The extra weapons seem fun, but not “pay about as much as the base game” fun.

I absolutely would have been in when my kids were that age! Now they’re all adults that I can’t force to play with me.

Wow, I played a ton of this as a kid, and had totally forgotten about it. What a flashback.

If you essentially want that experience now with your kids, you can get more or less get the same game for waaaay cheaper in Catapult Feud. Pretty sure you’ll be able to pick that up around the traps for peanuts and not pay a nostalgia mark-up and have to wait 12 months for it to ship…

I got a copy from a local toy shop at a fraction of the 90 bucks they are asking for in that reprint.

Edit - oops, didn’t notice there is a $30 option too!

Final Girl Series 3, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vanrydergames/final-girl-series-3?ref=android_project_share

My poor wallet.

I have about 1/2 of S1 and S2. Haven’t even played them all… But have a deep and unhealthy desire to complete the collection.

But this is a game I will have forever. If you can tolerate the luck factor then this game series delivers in spades

I’m a big fan of Crossbows and Catapults. I’m not sure I’ll go for that deluxe set, especially with shipping being $20. I’ll just wait for the cheaper one to be in UK stores. Hopefully Fortress War is as well.