Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I’ll see your two dudes in armor. One dude with a sword can kick my ass.

Try the mace. Start clinch, push them back, mace to the head (swing from above). Very easy to win most fights like this.

What do I clench now?

I have tried this, but I’m only like 2 in mace compared to 8 in sword, and I never seem to be able to pull off a clench. They can clench me all the time, though.

I do find that unarmored bandit types are best dealt with with an edged weapon. A few thwacks with a sword usually does it. But armored foes seem to be able to take multiple piercing arrow hits and mace strikes with impunity.

I also have a quibble with how some quests work. Sometimes, without any indication that this is going to happen, talking to someone triggers a teleport to some encounter where, often enough, I’m sliced and diced and have to redo a chunk of material from a sleep save. I guess I’m supposed to use the schnapps every time before a fight? I mean, these fights pit you against four or so heavily armored and armed foes, and given that I can’t hit the broad side of a barn it seems with a bow, it’s like not amusing.

You can talk your way out of that fight. Initially that’s what I did, but died stupidly later before I could sleep and save.

Since I had to redo it anyway, next time I tried fighting them and was promptly slaughtered despite my decent armor and occasional ability to block or land a blow.

So on the third time, I put my horse nearby before triggering the encounter and make sure to face him in a direction so that when I started galloping the second one foot found a stirrup I wouldn’t run straight into a tree or building. As soon as the fight initiated I tried to sprint to the horse. Things didn’t work out well initially but I managed to finally mount up and get away. I kited two away and took them down with horse archery. Not sure where the leader or the other bandit got off to.

Practice at lot of archery. Do basic or advanced archery contests in Rattay until you feel you’ve got it down. I think I spent a whole game day doing that. You can practice without starting a contest as well, but the contest is nice since it shows you on the little diagram where your arrow landed. Though I can now win advanced archery contests pretty regularly, in combat I still miss 2/3 of shots I take even at close range.

I think we’re talking about different fights. I did the one behind the windmill (cheesed it, really) but this one is later in the game and is triggered when you talk to Ulrich about going to raid the place where the forgers are. As soon as you say let’s do this, poof, you are near the location, and what is worse, your battle buddy there won’t actually follow you if you want to, you know, flank or something. He charges in no matter what, and if you take a roundabout path to get an advantage, you end up watching him get slaughtered and have to fight all the enraged bad guys yourself. Ugh.

I do need more archer practice; are there any trainers like for sword and stuff? In real life, I have far less trouble with a bow because I can instinctively tell where I’m pointing/aiming, but in the game, it’s totally weird, and the power of the bows (that is, range) is wonky as hell. It’s like they are toy bows.

You can train with Sir Robard or Captain Bernard for Swords.

As for bows - I had a similar problem, and I can normally play fps games without crosshair.

I actually made a small plum line with thread and a washer and attached it to my monitor through the center-point to get an initial idea of how to line up my shots on the horizontal.

Yeah, training with swords is no problemo, though actually fighting is tough for me. I tend to never seem to do much damage to armored foes. Maybe back to the morningstar!

You might have more luck with stabs, I don’t know. To me using swords on armored enemies felt like trying to open a can of tuna with a toothpick. Once I switched to blunt weapons it was like night and day - plus you can get the Baillif’s mace quite early, and it’s pretty cheap too - 900 groschen if I remember correctly. Swordsmith in Rattay sells it.

Of course, even though I’m in good armor, the enemies seem to have no problem turning me into sushi…

It’s not just you. Though I’ve now got two longsword combos down to where I can pull them off more often than not, I think my primary melee skill remains running to my horse. If I could change the character’s name I’d have to go with “Sir Robin” at this point.

In melee I’m willing to take on one, maybe two guys who are barely to lightly armored. When I see dudes with real armor I maybe consider getting into melee if it’s a one on one and I’ve already got an arrow in them.

I’ve been focusing on longsword but now that I’m encountering more armored foes it’s probably time to take out the mace go beat on Bernard for a while.

Finally the second Collector’s Edition arrived. Had to go to ebay for it. On the left is the one by Deep Silver, on the right is the one I got from Kickstarter.

I tried the PS4 Pro version briefly (only was in Skalitz). Few impressions

• it runs at stable 30fps there, plays well
  • LoD and pop-in is not as severe as I expected
  • textures are significantly lower res than on PC maxed out, some textures (hay) look really bad
  • render resolution is 1080p, overall the game still looks pretty good
  • initial loading time is brutal, like a minute compared to few seconds on PC
  • it is weird that there is no option to change controller sensitivity…default is ok but I would prefer a bit faster setting

Collecting enough money to rebuild the village you routed the bandits out of requires a fairly hefty effort, it seems. Looks like I have to sink ten grand or more into the damn place before it will start making money. Luckily, there seem to be plenty of bandits to fund this effort through giving me their stuff.

I only see one picture? What are the differences between the two?

Yeah, both CEs are on the one picture.
On the right, the big black Rex Familia Ultio box is the CE from the kickstarter. It has digipack with the game and OST, dice, brass coin, tin figure of Henry, art book, poster with a map (these things are on the picture) and a T-shirt (not pictured).

On the left, the smaller box, has bigger figure of Henry (but made of polyresin instead of tin), artbook (much smaller), steelbook (which looks awesome), soundtrack, linen map and of course the game (PS4 version since that was the one available and I don’t mind).

The CE on the right was produced by Warhorse and was the only one available in my country (and on kickstarter), while the one on the left was made by Deep Silver and was available in some european countries (UK, Germany…).

I wanted the Deep Silver one as well, for the steelbook, bigger Henry figure and the linen map :)

When this game first came out, one of the reasons I didn’t get it then was the discussion of bugs and stuff, but another was the save system. From listening to what others said, I felt it would be to restrictive. I was wrong, I think. The way the game does saving is pretty spot-on. Just enough tension to make things interesting, but enough leeway to keep it from being too frustrating.

Oh, and as an aside, wandering through the woods at dusk, especially when you come across one of those “interesting sites” that look like some pagan marker or shrine, it’s easy to understand how early-modern/late medieval Europeans could seriously entertain the idea of spirits, devils, witches, and the like. These folks weren’t stupid; given the knowledge base and the uber-creepy nature of the woods, hell, I’d probably have believed in the Witches’ Sabbat, too.

Um, ok! Neat dog.