Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Use mods or do what I did and use a non-permanent marker to put a dot in the middle of your screen for when archery kicks in. :slight_smile:

Also, an RPG implies you level up, increase skills, get better equipment etc. throughout. To a certain extent, you can steal, get lucky, and get great equipment quite early in the game. The only real level up stage is training with the Captain to learn how to fight at the start.

In my play thru I got some decent equipment fairly early on. While riding thru the woods I ran across two groups of knights fighting it. Knowing I had no business joining the fray I dismounted and watched, and when the fight moved away from some bodies I ran in, grabbed everything I could carry, got back on the horse and escaped. I got a sword and armor I used for probably 80% of the game, plus sold the rest for enough to get me in good shape.

Finally finished this game with all DLCs (in part thanks to a certain virus keeping me at home).
I’m an unrelenting completionist so it took me about 140 hours.

But that was very enjoyable hours - KC:D is my favorite single-character RPG since Witcher 3.
I quite liked this realistic historical setting and didn’t mind washing, training skills etc.
I found myself closing doors, not robbing nice people and generally roleplaying more than I use to.
By only issue was with limited saving, but that was fixed by a mod. I just hate having to replay sections.

Hopefully they’ll make a sequel. The ending certainly points to one.
The DLCs were enjoyable as well, but a bit more buggy than the main game is (or has become).
They could perhaps also have be better integrated into the main game.
DLC spoiler: Building up Pribyslavitz was fun, but I would have liked to bring Theresa there. And the town serves no real purpose once it has been rebuilt. I kept sleeping at the mill in Rattay even after I had a big house in Pribyslavitz.

I’ve been playing this pretty much exclusively for over a month now, and I’m loving it. I’m about 2/3 of the way through the main story, and I really appreciate how the main storyline is written, becoming more complex and political as you move forward, drawing Henry in through his ever-evolving relationships with Sir Radzig, Hans Capon, Sir Hanoush, Sir Divish, Captain Bernard and others. I also enjoy the occasional break from the serious story lines to do something more lighthearted. Next to Godliness with Sir Hans had me laughing out loud (“I was almost killed by Arse’N’Balls!”) and I am thinking I will tackle the Sir Hans DLC soon as it seems like more of the same.

I did take on the From the Ashes DLC, rescuing the surveyor and starting the new settlement. Holy crap is that going to be expensive. Luckily I had around 12K groschen already on me, and shortly after dropping a good chunk of it into the settlement chest to build a couple of buildings and pay for workers, I ran into a group of well armed bandits fighting similarly armed guards outside of ruined Skalitz. I helped the guards kill the bandits, and when the guards moved on I looted all the bandit corpses for about 8K in plate, chain and brigandine pieces. Another few encounters like that and my settlement chest should be in very good shape.

As for my personal arms and armor, I am in great shape. After spending a few nights treasure hunting and making the rounds of several armorsmiths, I now have the best or second best pieces of armor for each slot, so I can survive quite a few hits from any sort of weaponry in fights. I also have St, George’s Sword, which does fantastic piercing and slash damage, and a Baliff’s Mace for those times I need to put dents in enemy armor. I also have a nice Yew Longbow, though I still pretty much suck at archery. I use my bow mainly to hunt and to lure single targets away from camps or groups when they patrol out of sight of the others. I still get slaughtered if I attempt to take on 3 or more heavily armed/armored people at once, but that’s pretty much how it should be.

I finally traded in my horse for a really nice one. After riding Pebbles for so long it felt like a betrayal to trade her in for another horse. Believe it or not I actually agonized for a bit over whether or not I should do it. In the end though, the massive upgrade in courage, speed and capacity I got by upgrading to Kanthaka took a lot of the sting out of saying goodbye to Pebbles. I left her in the pasture with Pie (after finding him for the head groom), and they seemed to hit it off, so I think she’s probably happy. =) I have no complaints about how much faster I am moving now either.

So after a rough start, this is basically one of my favorite games I’ve played in the past few years. I am doing lots of side quests and taking my time with the main quest because I really do not want this game to end. My only real complaint is the terrible save system that can cause you to lose an hour or more of playtime if you’re unlucky enough to die to a random encounter. I was trying to play without mods to get the full experience, but I may have to bend that rule for a save mod.

high five

Same here, and only RDR2 can match TW3 and KCD for me. And I dearly hope Cyberpunk and perhaps even Bloodlines 2 will.

Btw, after the ending, did you go speak with Theresa? There is a short dialogue with her (unprompted by any quest notification) about Henry and his new status.

Love reading your posts!
Just regarding this point - have you tried alchemy at all? It is a bit tedious at the start, but once you level it up a bit you can get lot of schnappses brewed quite quickly. I kinda enjoyed making it a part of my routine when visiting rattay to bathe and sleep, to also brew things. And keeping an eye out for the various herbs and plants.

The last two meetings I had with Theresa, we talked about Henry’s real father, and her dead brother (DLC). I hope you meant one of them, otherwise I might have missed something!

My Alchemy is at 10 and rising. I never adventure without a few Savior Schnapps and Marigold Decoctions in my inventory. The issue is that Savior Schnapps are great for when you know you’re about to do something in a quest that may prove fatal or lead to a result you’d want to do over again if you make the wrong choices, but you can’t really slug them down before every fast travel or while riding from location A to location B in mid-quest, when suddenly your progress is halted and you hear the spine chilling sounds of Cuman Chatter or Bandit Banter…

I need to find a better way to raise lockpicking. I’ve used the trainer and the books along with picking most locks and doors I find where nobody can see me, and I’m only at 8. You need 10 to be able to pick the Very Hard locks. I guess I could spend an afternoon sneaking around a large town popping into all the empty dwellings I can find and picking all the doors and chests, that would probably do the trick.

This is what I ended up doing, pretty efficient strategy and kind of fun once you get into it.

I never was able to change horses. I did upgrade the saddle and bridle though.

By now Saviour Schnapps should be abundantly everywhere. I just got to where I used it anytime I had gone a while without a save or anytime I thought I might encounter possible trouble.

You should consider building the stables and visiting them afterwards.

Yep meant those.

One more thing, make sure NOT to buy potion from Charlatan when offered, unless you want to skip a pretty fun quest.

One thing this game does well is mixing seriousness with humor. I don’t think many games do it better.

Just when I was starting to become convinced this game was near perfect (combat difficulty and awkward save system aside), it just had to prove me wrong. I am at the point in the main quest line when you are required to enter the monastery. Holy shit (pun intended), talk about completely crashing my happy buzz.

To begin with, the lead-in quest is ridiculous. Somehow even though Henry has Sir Radzig, Sir Hanoush, Sir Divish and Lady Stephanie all as allies by this point, he still has to resort to stealing a letter from some idiot fancy lad and his equally idiotic babysitter, a task that requires Henry to attempt to be stealthy (including pickpocketing) in a tavern full of people, and he has to do it with NPCs that are annoyingly only awake and mobile a few hours a day. As if any of Henry’s noble friends couldn’t whip up a letter in 5 minutes saying that they recommend him to the monastery as a novice.

I finally got past this by pure luck. I had talked to Karl, then lied to his chaperone to get him to let us talk in private, then learned of the writ and purse which needed to be stolen from the chaperone. I tried pickpocketing a few times, but my skill is low, the pickpocket mini-game frustratingly difficult, and in a crowded inn and tavern it’s even more difficult not to get caught. I tried talking to the chaperone, but none of the dialog options result in him being convinced to give you the writ (unsurprisingly, why would he?). I finally got lucky in that one of the conversation options resulted in him attacking me. Since he threw the first punch, I guess the bar bouncer and others didn’t care, so we had a fistfight and my Headknocker perk activated, knocking out the chaperone. I then looted the writ and purse from his unconscious body and nobody seemed to care. To make things even more surreal, he got up and sat back down next to Karl while I gave Karl the purse and talked about him running off and me using the writ.

But even worse is the actual monastery quest itself. First of all : TROPE, TROPE, MOTHER-FING TROPE ALERT. Oh great, it’s yet another quest in the final third of an RPG where you are stripped of all the stuff you’ve spent dozens of hours acquiring and forced to go about without so much as a lockpick or an apple to your name. I was sick of that shit the 50th time I had to do it in an RPG, and so is literally everyone else who plays RPGs, so it’s good to see the designers of Kingdom Come : Deliverance are thinking outside the box. Now add in all the ridiculous restrictions on your movements, your access to literally anything useful, and the Circators who seem to be everywhere you need to be at all hours, and who can somehow magically sense that you’ve stolen some cheese for Brother LockpickGuy even though you were two floors away and nobody saw you stealing it.

I am sure there is some clever way to resolve this quest without having to redo everything over and over, so I guess I am off to the internet to watch Yuotube videos and see how it’s done, because I don’t have the patience to waste hours trying to figure it out on my own reloading over and over again.

Very disappointing that this late in the game, with everything else the player has accomplished and overcome, that this sort of shit quest is a required step.

Always depressing to me reading people hate on this quest when I actually loved it so much and know how much work went into it :)

Like, I spent 6 ingame days in there, doing every little sidequest, talking with everyone, eating with everyone, trying to transcribe the books, stealthing and sneaking after the day shift…in the end I let the guy go and appreciated that it was possible.

It just requires patience, but I don’t think I had to reload much. Just make sure to sneak around at night, Circators caught me twice I think but it was still ok.

Of course, you can always just shoot the bastard

Yeah I disliked it too. Good idea, awkward execution.

I didn’t let it bother me. I played it for a bit and then used a guide to zip through it.

Perhaps I’m being too harsh because it was so frustrating last night to feel like I was wasting so much time using the “wait” feature, then spending more time sneaking about, only to be caught by the Circators and have it all nullified. “Aren’t you supposed to be working brother? Idle hands are the devil’s tools.”. As soon as I get my sword back the Circators are going to see some devil’s hands for damn sure…

It’s a shame because, as you said, it’s a segment of the game that some people on the design team obviously put a lot of effort, time and care into making. But then it’s like someone else came along, glanced at it, and declared “too easy, do this, this and some of this…there, now it’s ‘a challenge’!” Ugh.

I did see a creative solution on Reddit where someone said they broke into the Monastery before talking to the monk to get admitted, picked the lock on a chest and put a bunch of lockpicks, some food and a dagger into it, and the stuff was still there after they were accepted as a novice. I don’t want to backtrack that far though, so I’ll just reload again and use some patience and tips I found on YouTube to get through it.

This. I wanted more of the free form running around the countryside picking herbs, hunting animals and occasionally fighting bandits. So I spent a few hours of real time on the quest, eventually just got less interested in it, and grabbed a guide.

If you go up thread you find me making this same post. I hated this area. I finally found a way to cheese the damn place by climbing the scaffolding, jumping into the monastary yard, running into the church and just killing the bastard, at which point you get the proof you need for the bad guys. The church guys, once the target is dead, just ignore you.

I tried doing it properly. But no matter what I did I would get in trouble and end up spending time in monk prison, and they would take away everything I had gathered.

Urge to kill…fading.

So last night I spent a couple of hours meticulously working through the Monastery stuff. I went to the places you’re supposed to go to, did the assigned work, spent a lot of time staring at the clock screen, then when night fell I crept around the place picking locks, grabbing torn pages, discovering Circators partying, etc… This was all made much easier than before by the discovery through YouTube videos that you can find a free lockpick in a very odd place right at the start, and you can find a stash of groschen with which you can purchase a few more picks from one of the brothers. With lockpicks in hand, there was no need to attempt to steal food, which made life easier. I also discovered the “spare key”, which means no need to pickpocket the Prior, resolving one extremely frustrating part of the whole thing.

I am now at the point where I pretty much know who the novice is that I am hunting. I am also one page away from the torn pages quest (I need the one in the Abbot’s study), which will net me the key so I can get the forbidden book for Brother Nevlas, resolving his quest as well. I’ve finished the side quests for Lucas and Sisken, and I’m working on the one for Jodok (Nasty Habits).

And that is where things went south. With Monastery key in hand, I met with Jodok around 10PM when everyone was sleeping. I followed him to the side door, exited the Monastery and sneaked quickly over to the Custodian’s cellar. I grabbed the wine cask, made it back to the side door without being seen, and made my way to the cellar to give the Circators the cask. Before I can even place it on the table they jump up and give me the “You’ve been seen somewhere you don’t belong brother!” line of bullshit, toss me in the hole and take all of my stuff (except for the cask, since it’s a quest item). What the fuck?! I have their goddamn wine in their goddamn party room and they’re acting like they busted me shirking my duties during the daytime or something. I can put the cask on the table once they let me out of the jail cell, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. I guess I need to talk to one of them afterwards? What a buggy mess, and I lose all my stuff, which means no more lockpicks (and they took the treasure map I found while searching the Monastery as well).

Urge to kill…rising!!

I suppose I could start over from the save before I go downstairs to meet Jodok, put my map, lockpicks and other items in a chest someplace, then do the cask run, get busted, and collect my stuff once I am free. That’s probably my best bet at this point since the quest seems broken.