Kingdom Come: Deliverance

The only thing I see in this video is that damn crosshair. I hope it can be disabled and isn’t required to highlight items or something.

I’m also worried now whether I should play this with gamepad or mouse and keyboard. That lockpick minigame looks like it’s designed for a gamepad stick. I’ve never played a first person game with one though. I guess it depends on combat.

Are there different maps or did he fast travel within the same one that is 16 km squared?

I will be playing PC version with controller (sofa + TV beats chair + monitor for me) but I spoke to someone at Warhorse and he personally preferred keyboard and mouse. Both should be usable fine.

There is one 16 km2 map, the fast travel was within the same map.

Could you ask him if the PS4 version will be comparable to PC as far as looks are concerned? My PC can do much better graphics than my PS4, but my wife would love it if I played this on PS4 in living room instead so she can watch like a movie. I could use Steamlink but that just blows up my electricity bill. Old power hungry plasma in living room plus power hungry PC in office = EEEK!

Can you even tell the graphics are worse if you’re playing on a TV that’s 10+ feet away?

We talked about it and not surprisingly, he prefers the PC version. The game looks good on all three, but console versions have worse LoDs (so more pop-in), and 900p resolution (base console; Pro has 1080p and better LoD). Meanwhile on PC there is better graphics, framerate and hopefully mods, if they release tools (not sure yet).

Thanks for that. That does make a huge difference.

Interesting dev post regarding dialogue system design and comparison to Witcher 3 by Smejki, designer at Warhorse:

I’m not gonna comment on the resulting quality of our dialogues. You be the judges. It’s gotten much better in the last months but it will never be Witcher 3. Bear in mind that 99% of all dialogs in Witcher 3 have predefined placement in the gameworld, sometimes even game time (or it’s suddenly forced). This allowed the devs to:

• adjust lighting for different conditions (time of day, weather)
  • prepare the stage for custom actor movements (Ciri is sitting on this chair, then while geralt is saying B, Ciri will stand up, pick an apple from the table right there and lean against the wall just to the right)
  • use a wide variety of prebaked basic stances (again heavily dependent on surroundings) where each comes with a “gesture variation”
    All of which results in “cinematic feeling”. In other words - every dialog in Witcher 3 is a cutscene.

Cutscenes come with some shortcomings of course. The biggest one is that every NPC with important dialog can be interacted with only in predefined places where they stand 24/7. The NPCs cannot move around or if they do they are confined to a small place and their exact placement is not taken into account anyway (Tris is sleepsin a room during the night or sitting on a chair next to the bed during the day, and if you trigger the dialog, none of that matters). You cannot have a dialog with them at a place of you choosing. The relevant parts of the world are static and inert as fuck, just like in Morrowind. The rest is generated extras. These can move, they don’t matter. TTL 20 seconds.
It’s not like we couldn’t do the same with our dialogs (ignoring limited workforce on our part). Cryengine has very similar tech to the what they’ve built for their dialogs. We didn’t do that for one crucial reason - the core concept of our game is in clash with this.
Just like in Bethesda games 99% of dialogs in our game are tied to NPC who can and do move through the world and you can trigger the dialogs at any time and any place. Be it in the kitchen in the middle of the woods during high noon or on the way between the pub and their home after sunset. Cameras must be placed dynamically, shots must be cut dynamically, it is impossible to tailor lighting to the situation at hand, dialogs cannot take the surroundings into consideration (there’s no table with an apple nor a wall to lean against). In that regard I think we nailed the system quite well. Similar to us is Bethesda’s Fallout 4 which has taken the lazy route and is simply placing the dialog cameras on either of skeleton bones which are just behind the actor shoulders or defaults to first person. Which results to boring shot reverse-shot cameras and if the actors is jerking due to physics, camera is jerking with them. We have much more complex system which allows for truly dynamic camera positioning independent from actors’ state (but computed from it). It should be noted that some dialogs in Witcher 3 can be executed anywhere as well so the game also features a similar but much simpler system and you will notice when it’s triggered - the results are most of the time horrible (but it doesn’t matter because it’s rare).
Many people have expressed wishes along “hopefully Bethesda will learn from CD Projekt and will up their game (and tech) so we could get the next TES more cinematic-y!”. No, unless Bethesda rolls back their formula to Morrowind era of static NPCs they will not. Even the almighty and super rich Bethesda can’t go down this route. And the thing that Witcher 3 does the same way we and Bethesda do CD Projekt does way way worse (so they should up their game too! :-P).

Sounds like shots fired across the bow at CD Project.

Almost sounds like this was an internal communique from the engineer to the boss.

Surely this wasn’t an intended public communication?

If it was…well now I really am interested in the game. If it’s great, good for us all. If not, the hubris should be fun to watch!

Well, the discussion is about dialog setup, in terms of the camera and the scene. There’s no discussion about if the dialog is as well written as Bethesda (shudder) or as well written as CD Projekt.

Heh, Central European developers can be pretty blunt. It’s like a bygone era.

We’ll see which approach is better. TW3 may be static but it’s compelling. Kingcomedeliver will be dynamic, but will it matter?

I still think this game looks really cool but I don’t like the look of combat - that kind of Daffy Duck “hoo, ha ha, thrust, parry” deal of manually controlling each move to counter your opponent’s move and make your own just looks tiring. Maybe I can just up my character’s charisma and talk my way out of all the fights.

No shots fired at all, it really is just a description of the difference in design, and why TW3 has such great looking cinematic dialogue scenes. He posted it on rpgcodex public forums.

Not really, just a technical-ish explanation of technological limitations and artistic choices - Witcher 3 is one type of game and KCD is another. I hope Machine Learning can help in not having to make all the work from scratch for every project so that we can have it all, but we’re not there yet.

Well saying the results of the witcher are most of the time horrible…

It could just be that as an English man, sich direct talk is often provocative.

Slaving cultures aren’t so “polite.”

Hello the Spanish are plenty "rude. "

Using “” because it does depend very much on your perspective. Spanish people think the English are “cold” …

He says that only in the times when Witcher 3 dialogue is done systemically and not as a cutscene is the result horrible, but since this is so rare (personally I cannot even remember any instance of it), it is not a problem. This is not rude, it is a statement of fact.

@Paul_cze, not sure if you read or misunderstood my last line, about is depending on where you’re standing, or my entire message, where I said that it cane across to me, as an English person, as rude.

Statements of fact can be made quote easily without adjectives such as horrible.

But, they’re slavic, and statements of fact there are just that. For me it’s rude but clearly it wasn’t intended as rude.

And considering CDPR are also slavic they probably don’t mind either.

I’m getting quite an independence education on slavic norms now in real life so it’should an interesting perspective.

That said, if they were replying to the questions in English then perhaps they ought to consider cross cultural communication?

You are not English.

New story trailer

32 years of life experience, a passport and the British government would beg to differ, but hey you’re some guy on the Internet, obviously you know more about me than I do.

Just in case you didn’t pick up on that: sarcasm

Back on topic, I am curious about this game, but the backlog and the wishlist keeps growing.

Is anyone here going to buy it at release? If so would said person care to post their thoughts, let’s plays etc, similar to what was done in the pillars of eternity beta thread?

I backed it and will be actively playing it on release, on both PC and Xbox One X.