Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is such a lousy name

Can anyone comment on the loading times for the ps4? It sounds like I may end up just replaying my ps3 version from what I’ve read of this port, thus far. If the loading times have improved considerably, that would make me take the plunge.

I forgot just how blasted FUN combat in this game is, especially with chakrams.

It’s got such great combat feel, so fluid. I’m really looking forward to replaying it.

Yes fluid is the best word. Once you get into the right rhythm it’s just wonderful.

Huh, I’m on 1440p and it looks great.

The original didn’t have good support for 5:4 ratio either. See the post I’m replying to.

Yep, best RPG combat this side of Dragon’s Dogma.

So I had the discount for this so I picked it up, never having played it in its original guise. First impressions are that it, well, is dated, but that’s to be expected. It looks and feels a lot like the era in which it was originally released, with the issues common to that era like a crappy inventory system and often bizarre animations. But combat is definitely fluid, and it seems like it could be fun.

Except, well, during the tutorial/escape from the pit bit of the beginning, there is a point where the gnome like dude says one of the bad guys I just whacked has a longbow. My task is to equip it. Sadly, there is no longbow, not on the ground, not in my inventory, nowhere. Sigh. Guess I get to replay that bit and see if the elusive bow shows up.

How far did you look? It’s not actually dropped by the guys you fought, it’s on another body a small distance down the passage from where the fight occurs. It has a big arrow pointing at it.

This got me at first too! And I’ve played it before (though it’s been a while)… ;)

Huh. Have to check that then. Seems an odd way of doing things, but again, the UI here is not exactly state of the art.

Exactly. On a related note, where’s my damn Dragon’s Dogma sequel and, while I’m at it, why aren’t there a bunch of Dogma-likes out there to play?

Well, there’s a new Dragon’s Dogma cartoon coming to Netflix this month. My hope is that this is a sign the license is alive and kicking and there’s more game related content on the horizon.

Do you mean the big arrow that I mentioned? Arrows are only used in the tutorial so you don’t miss stuff.

I think what happens is that during the fight with the two Tuatha sword guys you can stray too close to the body with the bow, and trigger the ‘that one had a bow’ dialogue early.

You can see it up the corridor on the left in this pic, at the sparkly marker.

l didn’t see it at all, so maybe it ain’t big enough! I will try later to see if it’s there.

EDIT: Found it. It’s around the corner back the way you came, and if your fight with the Tuatha leaves you out of line of sight, it’s not at all apparent where it is.

So after watching a couple of Let’s Plays on YouTube for ps4, I think I’ll just stick with the ps3 version. I was seeing 30+ second loading times for going in and out of shops, environments, etc. PS3 times are at least half that.

I’m playing on PC and most of my loading times are just a few seconds, if that.

Yeah mine as well. Super quick.

I just started this and have an issue with really stuttering/choppy and uneven camera movement with M&K. It’s headache inducing.

Update your drivers, perhaps? Mines running smoothly…

FPS is not dropping, it’s just the movement itself that’s jerky. And did that already. So weird.