Kitchen Gadgetry

Dear God, why would you spend money on an egg cooker? You know what you can make 6 soft boiled eggs in? A saucepan.

Did you mean where you fill the saucepan up with water and then put your immersion cooker in there?

Those egg cookers are awesome. I hated trying to cook them on my gas cooktop. I want to put eggs in a container, start it & come back in 12 minutes without worrying they will boil so hard they will break (which was happening all the time).

My wife laughed when I broke down & bought one, but now that we have it, we all love it. Itā€™s a set & forgetā€¦no work at all and perfect eggs 100% of the time. Itā€™s down right tiny - you barely notice it.

I got this one - for $14

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9TPNF6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Itā€™s a unitasker, which I tend to avoid. I figure if I regularly boil lots of eggs, Iā€™ll get a saucepan routine down pat eventually.

The ad copy is great, though. ā€œImagine being able to prepare a dozen deviled eggs in under 10 minutes!ā€ I love how someone thought this was a) plausible, b) meaningful, and c) potentially convincing.

It would go well with this more-of-a-thing-than-a-gadget, though, which I use all the time:

This is actually a pie carrier. And it has an insert, so that you can double-stack two shallow pies, if youā€™re not carrying one big tall one. And in a stroke of genius, they thought to multi-task the insert, with those little dishes for deviled eggs. And in another stroke of genius, they included another insert for the bottom of the carrier, with yet more space for more deviled eggs.

So if you ever need to transport up to 28 deviled eggs, Iā€™m your huckleberry I am the Eggman.

Thatā€™s why I feel like the electric pressure cooker/multicooker route makes the most sense. Itā€™s fire and forget like the specialized device, but it does a lot of other shit too.

I had no idea the Instapot could boil eggs. I need to check the manual, or I could see blowing them up or something equally horrifying.

Right now I use one of those egg timers that you throw in the pot with your eggs. It requires attention, because if I miss the soft setting, I just make egg salad for the family. I was hoping for a set and forget gadget thatā€™ll give me those luscious runny yolks every time.

This may be helpful:

Note that I havenā€™t tried it myself (I have never been into boiled eggs in their own right and havenā€™t gotten around to cooking anything that used them), but I helped make egg salad with some Insta-potted hard-boiled eggs when staying with my grandma and mom last fall.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

Only if it comes with an LCD screen though.

Does anyone use one of those ceiling racks for their pots and pans? Does it actually look okay and how much weight can they hold (I can imagine it coming crashing down on our heads ).

We are downsizing again after 7 months of renting a three bedroom condo to purchasing a two bedroom and anything that can allow us to use our space more efficiently is something I interested in learning about.

If youā€™re talking about wall mounting something, then how much weight it can hold is almost always a function of how you anchor it to the wall rather than the thing itself.

Of course, if you buy something thatā€™s incredibly flimsy, this advice does not apply.

They are mounted to the ceiling with four chains at least the ones I have looked at so far.

Then make sure you link those chains very well to a beam or something and it should hold a lot of weight.

Arrendak has it right. Bolt into studs or beams and you should be fine, unless of course the chains themselves are flimsy.

As long as your anchors are in the joists you are fine.

So I dropped my wooden pizza peel and it broke. I obviously need a sturdier one. Does anyone here have a preference between all wood and metal? Iā€™m liking the idea of metal because its thinner and more slippery.

Wood is more slippery, but once you dust it with flour it doesnā€™t make any difference.

I prefer cornmeal but point taken.

You would, you son of a bitch!