LawBreakers - CliffyB's Boss Key joint

Seems it was released sooooner.

Saw it posted over on nGAF.

1.3 patch!

Content roadmap for Q4 2017.

Sadly PC playerbase is almost gone.

< 250 players on at any given time , the last few days.

http://steamcharts.com/app/350280#7d

Think of how many of these players are in school, and think of how important it was at that age to not be left out of whatever everyone was talking about.

There are several reasons, but I’ll go with the one that’s the most beneficial lesson for other developers: Never ever ship a multiplayer indie game without bots.

Published by Nexon is “indie?”

Toxxik was competent, had bots and is suffering from lack of a playerbase.

Well, not really. But it’s a lot smaller than the big players and having in the past been involved both as developer and player of low-profile multiplayer games that died because they were multiplayer-only I couldn’t resist making the point. :P

Toxikk is a clone of UT3 that learned all the wrong lessons. Still, that it’s still alive enough to be supported is because they have bots; it’d have been dead and gone in a few months otherwise.

There is this:

No bots planned, ever, when the playerbase dies out the game dies as well.

Dev answers -

Not sure where you heard that, but it’s not accurate. :)

Yeah, as you say people gravitate to the 4-5 big titles, leaving the rest without anything.

Also, there is too much competition. 15 years ago people had Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield 1942, Counter Strike 1.6, and not a lot else (a few people playing Tribes 2, but even in that time it wasn’t really a popular game). Now they have:

Battlefield 1
Call of Duty
Titanfall 2
Counter Strike
PUBG
Overwatch
Paladins
Quake Champions
Black Squad
Arma 3
GTA 5
Team Fortress 2
H1Z1
Rainbow Six Siege
And add Destiny 2 in a month.

Finally, maybe people played high ceiling skill, high speed shooters like Quake and UT because there wasn’t a lot else to choose in the nineties, and now that the market offers other experiences it seems it isn’t really a popular type of game by the mainstream. So it’s a style of genre that is never going to come back like before. They should have put some classes in the game for more casual players.

edit: and I only made a list of pvp shooters. But we have to take in account now we have entire genres that didn’t exist before, like surival online games or MOBA games. People can’t play two games at the same time, so people playing them are players not playing shooters like Lawbreakers.

I found the game competent and actually liked it better than overwatch as a game. There was a video I saw that put my thoughts into better words but the long and short is that it focuses more on being a shooter and less on the hero powers. No hard CC period and lower impact ultimates keeps it from being as frustrating to me as overwatch.

This right here. Destiny 2 is the new hotness for teens. The grind has begun.

Me neither! I looked up on steamspy to see if I was missing any online shooter with a decent playerbase, and I saw it there. It seems a bad CS clone?

Gotta feel bad for the people who poured their time into making this while CliffyB was out driving around in his fancy cars.

Needs a free weekend asap, but even that probably wont help.

Man… 48 players. Stick a fork in it - it’s done.
EDIT: Still not quite as bad as Battleborn (yet)
http://steamcharts.com/app/394230

Pretty soon they’re going to have to rename the game Lawbreaker.

quietly wreaking havoc all alone.

Maybe people just don’t appreciate a Boss Key Joint the way they once did.

Awwwwww shiiiiiiiiiit

Haha.

“There is a situation where players look at numbers on Steam; that doesn’t happen on PlayStation 4. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but you look at PC, [concurrent user] health versus PS4, PS4 is doing fine,” he said. “People cough up 30 bucks and hop online and they don’t overthink it. On PC there is you wanting to declare something a success or a bomb by this internet culture that loves to just observe things. But it’s like, guys, you know, the small bit [of players] that we have, we’re going to continue to iterate and engage. As we issue content drops, maybe there’s going to be sales or potential free weekends down the line, continue to fluff that CCU up.”

“But you know, I have to keep this game alive, first and foremost. I can be very cocky and very brash on social media. And realising that, you know, we have a fledgling player base. It’s been very humbling for me. I’m going to continue to iterate on this game, continue to add to it. And try to be less of a dick, honestly.”

“In hindsight, I think it was a mistake to not ship with it. I was stubborn. I was like, ‘Ohh, everybody’s [already] done TDM.’ Even Blizzard’s like, ‘Screw it, we need to put TDM action in Overwatch.’ Fundamentally, at the end of the day, players just want to get in and shoot some stuff sometimes. That’s one of the things that I consider my strengths: I am willing to admit when I am wrong. I think people in the public eye–it would do them a great benefit to do that more often.”

People playing Lawbreakers were asking for TDM? I’ve followed quite a few forums threads for this game, and seen nothing regarding TDM requests. :|