Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The game that keeps on giving! This is not an April fools!
(earlier in the video it spoils how to make the item needed)

Woah!

It was April fools :( Got dubious food. I trusted you @Profanicus.

Hahaha you fool! ;)

Actually I fell for it too… I read reports saying it worked, and it seemed like something you would be able to do, given everything else you can do, even with the healthy skepticism afforded by the day. Sorry. :(

BotW does so much else that I found the concept completely believable, and all thoughts of April 1 forgotten. I didn’t watch the video because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but I didn’t outright object to the headline/concept either. I’m sure I’d be one of those people trying to craft the item needed had I watched.

The video was particularly well done too.

I hate April fool’s with a thousand passions

Man, between this and Horizon I feel like I have months of amazing gaming to binge on. It’s a slow burn, but holy hell it’s fantastic.

With the new emulator version recently released, BOTW is now fully playable on PC. This guy is getting 30fps at 4k with a 1070.

I think this is the more important spec for emulators:

i7 6700k @ 4.3ghz

Think it’ll ever work at 60 or higher? I’d probably fire it up on PC to check that out.

Does anyone know if Cemu somehow gets mouse support for this? I would love to do this game in M+K mode… I hate manually fixing the camera literally all of the time, which I do as second nature with M+K.

Aren’t there gameplay sections that need the gamepad gyro or whatever? Do they emulate that? I skimmed over the earlier discussion.

Possibly, BOTW is capped (they say locked, but it dips below that on a Switch) at 30fps natively but the emulator can do whatever it wants, unless the physics/etc is synced up with the framerate.

Supposedly you can use a mouse+keyboard but it entails mapping mouse movement to a virtual joystick so… no. Plug in a gamepad.

Regarding the gyro, that video has the player moving metal plates and whatnot, isn’t that what the gyroscope is used for? He made it happen with an X360 gamepad somehow.

Edit: Arstechnica picked up the story… this news is going to spread rapidly. As far as I can recall, this is the first time a highly anticipated AAA+ console-exclusive title has been playable on the PC in its launch window.

Check out how much better it looks in emulation-- neither the WiiU or Switch use anisotropic filtering so textures >10 feet away are a blurry mess, even at the same (low) screen resolution. Note this shot is from an earlier version before grass rendered properly.

(click to enlarge)

So if I own a WiiU and buy the game I can feel good about myself right?

It sounds like dumping the ROM is a real pain and/or impossible with the latest firmware? Probably too much work for me.

Morality is relative. IMO, if you buy the physical game, download the ROM from the internet, and don’t own any nintendo hardware that’s perfectly fine.

The emulator still isn’t at the point where it’s flat-out better than playing on a brand-new Switch. Yes, graphics quality is dramatically improved, but cutscenes are still problematic and there are reportedly still some minor-ish bugs. But given their progress in the past 6 weeks or so, pretty safe to say that PC emulation will be the premiere platform for this particular game in the future.

This doesn’t apply to all Switch games, by the way-- CEMU emulates the WiiU, not the Switch. BOTW just happens to be well-nigh identical on WiiU and Switch aside from resolution.

Yeah, that stuff is up to your personal ethics Personally, I think that if you own the game, who cares. Or, if you don’t own the game, and there is no legal way to purchase it, you are fine too.

Stealing new release games, or games on steam/digital services is B.S. Using technology to preserve and play an old game that isn’t for sale anymore, that is a good thing.

This seems like a weird area, because you can buy the game. I think that if you were to purchase a copy of the game, you would probably be able to feel alright about playing on PC.

Yes, I completely agree.

Running legitimately purchased games in emulators violates Nintendo’s TOS and their lawyers would certainly argue that’s illegal, although I haven’t seen it tested in court. But whether illegal or not, for me personally, I don’t find it immoral.

So it’s interesting and all that pirates will be able to play Zelda, but maybe that’s best left to another thread?

I kind of wonder if we’d be having this same discussion if it was Horizon: Zero Dawn or whatever the hell system-seller level exclusive an Xbox gets these days. I’m a little uncomfortable with the glee around finding a way to play this without hardware this closely on the heels of the “Why is Nintendo making more hardware (Switch) instead of just making Android games like I want them to” thread.

For me, Nintendo has the right to do a hardware-and-first-party business model if they want to, and it’s well within the period where IP rights make economic sense, so this falls on the B.S. side of the fence - and like you, I’m very comfortable with “emulation preserving older stuff is good”. The technical side of the emulation discussion is really interesting too, though. I dunno.