Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Well, I think the game uses ~5 auto save slots, but it’s just one profile.

However, I’m guessing that each nintendo profile will have their own saves lots, so it’ll probably work out.

It’s all positive so far. Just nitpicking :)

The reply was to @ducker. Who has 3 posts in the thread, all negative. :)

well just grouchy about the whole console and how all the little pieces put it above the price of a ps4/xbone. and then to hear about frame rate drops while docked - scratching when docking it… just a little aggravating.

Totally forgot about the different profiles… that’s true…

I understand, I’m not a fan of the frame rate drops myself either … but this is a thread about the new Zelda game. We already have a Switch thread filled with people whinging about the hardware. :)

I’ve played this for ~5 hours on the Wii U now and am in love with it. I’ve never played an open-world game like this before, one which so thoroughly rewards exploration and is truly open-ended to do whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want, with genuine reasons to look around everywhere.

Neither Bethesda RPGs nor Dragon Age nor the Witcher series nor Assassins Creed nor any other series has done for me what Breath of the Wild has so far. I’m just in awe.

Agreed LMN8R. It’s actually closer to GTA than any of those you listed in my mind. I couldnt get into DA or Witcher at all, but BOTW is just soooo accessible.

Interesting. That doesn’t sound like a typical Zelda game at all.

How many Korok seeds are in the tutorial zone?

I found five of them.

One of the best things the game does is not revealing everything on the map when you climb a tower. I hope that the next Assassin’s Creed game follows this mindset.

When you climb a tower, you get the topography on your map and the names of some towns, but everything else is entirely left up to you to discover for yourself. From a high vantage point you can use your scope and/or minimap to mark areas of interest on the map - things which you think looking interesting, not that the game tells you you should look for - and the game puts absolutely no artificial barriers in your way as you head over in that direction.

Here are some examples:

• I visited a small trading post where a villager offers me a hint about a secret treasure cove for 100 rupees. I pay the 100 rupees, and the hint is completely vague. But after thinking about it for a few minutes and carefully looking at my map, I see something which kind of aligns to what the hint says. I explore over there, climb a completely nondescript waterfall, and sure enough - there’s the treasure cove. No markings anywhere, nothing obvious on my map. Just pure exploration, problem solving, leading to a wealth of genuinely useful treasure!

• After climbing down from there, I’m walking through a forest heading back the way I came, and all of a sudden the music escalates. Completely out of nowhere, I see this massive monster unlike anything I’ve yet seen in the game. It starts coming after me, and despite me having full health (only 4 hearts right now), it kills me in one swipe. I try again but can barely damage it. If I was persistent and perfect, I could kill it, there’s no artificial barrier stopping me from killing it. But I’m simply not strong enough yet to do so without frustration. I put a “monster” stamp on my map as a reminder to come back much later.

• After finding my first big town in the game, and get my next main story waypoint way far away, I jump off a huge cliff overlooking a massive plain in the opposite direction of that waypoint. I then stumble upon a number of really cool challenge mini-dungeons which introduce all kinds of innovative puzzle mechanics

• Later, I’m trying to escape from a monster that’s clearly out-leveling me. I try climbing a short cliff - but it’s pouring rain out. Pouring rain means slippery surfaces. Slippery surfaces mean I can’t climb as far. I’m screwed, fall off, and need to kill the monster after all - I survive, barely.

That’s only a fraction of the cool things I’ve seen so far.

This must be a game that plays better than it looks, because it still looks boring on streams with people farting around.

God, you’re annoying.

What’s the difference between the square and the round bombs? If that was explained I missed it.

Nothing but physics. One rolls easily, one stays put.

I’ve not played Zelda, but watching streams I really like that they have shuffled up the Zelda formula for this one. From the oustside looking in it does seem to share a lot with other open world games, but I think it’s cool to have one of those with the Nintendo “touch”. Glad to see Nintendo trying something different with the franchise.

This is one of the main problems with the traditional Zelda formula: nothing optional is traditionally all the useful. Best case is it’s either a heart piece (useful, but low immediate impact) or a bottle (disproportionately important) and everything else is basically trash. Sounds like the disposable weapons may have helped solve this by giving another axis on which things can be useful?

And the wind blows the bombs when you throw them! It also blows fire, which spreads through dry grass! Weapons can catch fire! Fire creates wind updrafts, which create lift on your paraglider! You can make wind with the big leaf you get, from chopping down trees! Which you can do to make wood to light camp fires, to pass the dangerous night. But if it’s raining the fires go out so you can’t camp! And rain makes surfaces more slippery to climb! But you can climb almost anything! And the cooking! Just letting you hold stuff and dump the actual objects into the world next to a fire or into a pot feels so good!

This game is blowing my mind. It’s amazing. Dauntingly massive, yet a rewarding handcrafted exploring experience full of character and neat touches. So many cool little interlocking systems, tied together with great physics. And minimal hand-holding that really respects players’ intelligence.

I think the little puzzle shrines by themselves could just about be a full game, given their number and how cool the eight or so I’ve done so far have been. :)

Pretty much everything you just said:). I love how you just sort of stumble upon these little physics touches too. Like I was running through a forest and was using a two-handed claymore at the time. A few enemies pop up so I start swinging, the claymore makes these big sweeping attacks and one of them misses a blob but smacks a big tree instead. I just happen to notice that the tree now has a big chunk taken out where I hit it. So after the fight I go back to the tree and take a few more whacks. Of course you can cut down trees! Now it’s a huge log lying in the ground so I think let’s see how far this goes. I start hitting the log and now I’ve got a bundle of sticks that I can use to make fire!

Or the time I was just randomly tossing exploding barrels off a tower just to watch the explosions until I noticed that they kept making these pillars of smoke and hot air…so I jump in with my glider and yup I’m riding a thermal.

All these little touches are just so damn cool. Between this and Zero Dawn, 2017 could stop releasing games altogether and I would be perfectly happy with the whole damn year.

Damn, I only found one :(

And they blew it. The terrible fucking camera combined with the difficulty ramp make me want to crack the switch over my knee. Then it takes 10 fing minutes to get back to the Vah Ruta fight each time. Rinse repeat. Infuriating.