Legends of Runeterra - Riot Games' Hearthstone

Play free now? It’s out? This took me by surprise.

I wonder how the currency system works in the game. I recently installed and immediately uninstalled the Warhammer CCG on the Switch because it had 4 currencies, subscription shenanigans, some energy system, and a whole bunch of convoluted ways to do simple stuff. The gameplay looked interesting though. But gameplay alone didn’t stop me from feeling like a mark.

I don’t know anything about LOL (played it a few times shortly after I stopped playing Demigod about ten years ago), but I’m hoping this translation is handled better than the fartastic DOTA2 card game, Artifact.

I think it’s only about to enter beta.

This video from the designers also has good info.

If you skip 4’ in, they explain specifically how new cards are acquired.

I follow League and know all the champions even though I don’t play. So I’m looking forward to this one. I’ve pre-registered.

Anyone else playing this yet? Just dipping my feet into the PvP play after finishing the tutorial. Just got my first win!

From my limited knowledge so far, it seems a bit grindy, but no worse than other games of it’s type…certainly better than Hearthstone. The weekly nature of card rewards is a bit of a bummer, since I seem to basically be stuck with the starting cards until next Tuesday, but I can live with it.

The complexity of the game itself seems to be somewhere between Hearthstone and Magic, leaning towards the HS side…somewhere in the Eternal vicinity. The card text isn’t all that involved, but certain cards can level up and they have some fun effects. And attack order matters quite a lot…damage is assigned in left-right order rather than all at once, so you have to pay attention to what goes first on certain large attack boards.

It’s pretty cool so far…I’m not giving up Magic, but I’ll keep going.

Still awaiting my beta access (on Android).

I’m willing to try it the second I can pry my wife away from Hearthstone. But when she likes a game she tunes the others out. And I don’t want to charge on ahead without her, building card libraries in two different games.

Yes. I’ve been playing through the tutorial and played a couple of games against my son (only place I can compete against him in Runeterra. He carries me / would destroy me in League. :) ).

It’s very neat. I like the flow of turns with each player taking an action in turn. I also love that champions can level up. I had Jinx firing Mega Death Rockets at me last night while I was fighting back with Lux’s final spark. The animations are very cool too.

I think I’m going to like it a lot. Oh, and there is no pack purchases (I think?). That’s a big win.

Yeah, no packs. You can only buy cards with the in-game currency. You can purchase wildcards with real money, but you’re limited to 3 Champion and 3 Epic wildcards per week in order to.limit whales.

I imagine the store will be flooded in short order with cosmetics to try and make up some for the lack of pack sales.

They aren’t starved for money thanks to League. Cosmetics work for them. I like it.

I’m mastersquiggs in game and I’ll be playing a bunch this weekend. Full disclosure: I work for Riot, so I’m not objective :)

On the NA servers? I’m Wendelius, but I play on EUW, so doubt I’ll encounter most of you fine people.

Tried to add you, but it seems to be wanting a number? Or anyway after I typed in “mastersquiggs”, the Add button stays grayed out.

(Just got win #3!)

EDIT: btw, I am Scarcelight on NA1.

Yeah, you need to add the Region. That’s what goes in the # field. I sent you an invite.

It’s a shame they’ve split it up by region. That doesn’t seem necessary for a non-twitch game like this.

This turned out, fortunately, to be rather wrong. I hadn’t reached the “regions” part of the card unlocking process.

Each of the six regions has a levelling track of 20 levels. Each level gives you a different chest that drops a bunch of stuff on you…cards for the region, wildcards, and shards to craft anything you want. I’m already 25% of the way through the Demacia levelling track and have got quite a few new things, and am about to unlock an Epic wildcard.

So if I bounced blizzard because of blitzchung I should also avoid riot games, right?

I think Riot only hates women, not democracy.

I thought they were owned in part by tencent or something.

Sure, but who isn’t now days? I think they came out and said that they aren’t a bunch of pussies like ActivisionBlizzard, and that they won’t allow Tencent/China to dictate what their fans, players, winners say at tournaments. I think they’re just gonna stick with systematic misogyny.

Or not.