Lionsgate makes new Conan movie

Oh, no. That looks awful. How many action tropes could they fit in that trailer? Jump punch. Narrowly bending backwards to dodge objects. Rain of arrows. Two weapons for a double dose of pimpin’.

Trailer no longer available? Wut?

. . . plus “woman with sword she obviously can barely lift.” Looks terrible, the CGI is intrusive, and the story seems to be bog standard. Plus, where’s my thinly veiled racism?

H.

I don’t get any “Conan” vibe from the actor, either. Seems bland to me.

On the upside, I did recognize several scenes that would fit with early Conan stories. On the downside, I see several that ring no bells at all from the stories. Not sure how this is “more true to the original stories.”

Some of the settings look cool and hey, it appears to have Picts. Count me in.

Ouch.

Not looking good.

I liked the sand dudes he had to fight, but yeah, it’s not looking good. That actor just doesn’t give me a Conan vibe.

Jeez, you guys and your hipster pooh-poohing of everything. Big Cthulhu tentacle monster and fucking Conan the Barbarian?! This movie is pretty much pre-guaranteed to be awesome!

Looks like an okay action movie. What the hell do people expect out of Conan?

And yet, Conan the Barbarian was great while Conan the Destroyer was poo-poo. However, both should have been pre-guranteed based on your criteria.

Looks like a great movie to watch at home once it comes out on Netflix or HBO!

Enemies crushed then driven, plus lamenting women.

H.

p.s. A little witch-fucking wouldn’t hurt.

Much to my surprise I find that trailer looks… ok.

I don’t expect it can live up to Barbarian (which is perhaps my favorite movie, ever), but it’s far better than I predicted. It’s a bit overproduced, and the fight choreography is too Hollywood, but I think I’ll actually see it in theater.

That trailer was better than the teaser. Still seems like the least imaginative action directing ever. I am so tired of that leaping pose. (The ‘Superman punch’ is what we called it in my Muay Thai class, no idea what the official name is) And that leaning backwards to dodge move, etc.

Never thought I’d complain about too much sword-swinging in he Conan trailer, but uh, jeez, would you lay off the sword swinging Conan?

That castle in the first shot was some terrible CGI but otherwise I’m cautiously optimistic. I don’t think the trailer is all that bad, really.

This is a desecration of one of the finest action movies of all time, Conan the Barbarian, a movie that had an engaging story, excellent special effects, and was not at all forty-five minutes too long. Considering the high esteem all right-thinking citizens hold this treasured IP, the producers of this movie should be ashamed of this disrespectful trailer. This new muscle-bound actor does not at all capture the soulful physicality of the Cimmerians, and his apparent fluency in English should have immediately disqualified him from playing a role which Arnold Schwarzenegger so memorably originated.

Please see my blog for further commentary on this important matter.

I know that was sarcasm and all, but Conan the Barbarian had some fantastic set design. CGI just isn’t the same.

Was that sarcasm?

“Titans Will Cla-” wait, wrong movie.

I like Jason Momoa, and I like Conan, and I like huge epic CGI-infused fantasy-themed summer popcorn movies, so I’m there. Lord of the Rings it is not, but why would anyone expect it to be. Hell, the original source material (the stories, not the Arnold movies) is widely considered pulp fantasy, classic mind you, but still pulp fantasy.