Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

This isn’t the first time Sensible Train-Spotting has been ripped-off!

But in this case it’s a complete graphical clone! I posted on the Steam forum there asking how come they didn’t point out the “homage”.

Burned Land looks interesting, but that font is virtually illegible, so a pass for me.

For me. The graphics work well, I think it looks fine and I appreciate that it runs much quicker than a 3-D engine; I get bored watching the animations in e.g. BattleTech. The only two graphics issues I have are that the faces don’t match the figures on the battle map , And that some of the chest etc. are hard to see- but the latter is really a design choice that I’m not a fan of

Released 1.0 a few days ago.

This review sings its praises pretty well.

So this Cold War game, Precipice, released today. Is it turn based? If so, it looks interesting to me. Any impressions of this?

Forager is really neat. Humble released a sneak preview with one of the monthly bundles and I played it quite a bit. Don’t know how much it’s changed, but it’s a fun randomized crafting game. A lot of neat little surprising things crop up as you get further into the game.

Toss a few more here that I wishlisted recently.

Boy, a lot of Myst-likes coming out of the woodwork. I got Aporia and… something else that’s now buried in my backlog, both of them reviewed well. And now Epitasis. I’m not complaining. I found Obduction to be disappointing, but I think this is an area where indies can really drop some small classics, if done well.

I got my notice for Burned Land as well…

I watched a Burned Land gameplay video online and promptly wishlisted it as a very likely buy. But I also saw that it just entered early access, so I am in no hurry.

Felt linear and puzzle-light for me, especially compared to Myst. I didn’t play it very long, however.
The Witness is the only game that’s really recaptured the magic of first cracking open Myst in the 90’s for me.

Aporia opens up after 2 hours with a few paths to follow with different puzzles. I need to go back as I felt the world was pretty interesting.

It’s being touted as a modern-day Balance of Power. Since BoP is in my Top 5 Bestest Evar games list, a definite purchase for me.

It definitely is in that Balance of Power vein. Personally I think Realpolitiks is a bit better though.

It was also made with the Godot game engine, which is awesome.

Cc: @rhamorim

I looked at a video, it seemed a bit too easy to push the game into a draw by escalating a conflict into nuclear war and the AI has no qualms with doing it.

Yeah, it’s insanely easy to escalate to war.

It was in BoP also, which is kind of the point. Isn’t thermonuclear war a losing state, as in the original?

It’s been a while since I played BoP, but I don’t recall it taking 3-4 minutes to lose easily.