Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Quick question, how long on average does it take to finish a game in Silmaris?

Can’t say for sure because I only played a few turns, enough to get a feel for the game, but I think I read about an hour and a half.

Tallowmere 2 is in early access. The original is a weird little gem. This one has online co-op.

Curious Sci-Fi adventure game with shades of Pathologic.

Another Billion Road / Fortune Street -like.

Now on Steam, from the developers of Volume.

Skateboarding arcade racer.

John Wick Hex is probably my most disappointing game of the year. If you’re interested in it, I’d temper your expectations, or better yet, check out the much tighter Fights in Tight Spaces:

I really enjoyed my time with the demo:

Twilight Struggle + Balance of Power / WarGames =

From what I understand the learning curve is very steep, but some of the streamers of historical strategy like Agrippa Maentius seem to like it, so it might be worth checking out.

Agreed, although it does not appear that it is the maps that determine gameplay as much as the events. But still, yeah.

How is it overall? I’ve heard it described as the best cold war game yet, but a bitch to learn.

I’ve downloaded the manual and intend to read it over the weekend, but haven’t actually pulled the trigger (no pun intended).

I have had it since it came out. I have been playing war games since 1970, including the most complicated, and this game still flummoxes me. I think it is worth the effort however.

Anyone here had any experience with Alder’s Blood?

Just saw it mentioned positively in an end-of-year list, and couldn’t figure out why I hadn’t heard of a lovecraftian stealth-tactics game with Darkest-Dungeon-style artwork.

Its a good game i ran into a game ending bug at launch though. i havent resumed after they fixed it, but want to resume playing it.

Never mind, I am an idiot.

Free, standalone, RTS spinoff of the Nomads mode from Driftland: The Magic Revival.

OMG you guys, some the jankiest games to ever come out of Russia are getting a third installment, and I couldn’t be happier.

I love janky Russian games. Even better than janky French games, but only just.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for 'em, being some of the only space games made during the dark time of the 2000s.

So this might be the best space 4X/Grand strategy I’ve played in a long while:

It’s more of a total war structure rather than 4X, but it’s great, specially how gamey and streamlined it is, which is a breath of fresh air in the genre. Instead of a multitude of complex systems you get a handful simple ones, so it’s one of the few games of its type that it’s super easy to parse early on.

It’s a one man effort, so there’s stuff where it’s lacking: as good as some of the UI options are, some info is a couple of clicks too far away. Also, systems being so simple means the content might be too thin. Good for a handful of playthroughs, but probably not more.

But the dev seems to have decided to build this up into a series, so it seems we’ll get sequels expanding the core game, which I’m all up for.

I will have to give it another whirl. I think I bounced off it previously.

You know what I don’t love? Autocorrect.

hey thank you! I have been eyeballing this one for a while , was waiting for some impressions!

I bounced off the demo because combat seemed really slow. So much clicking to scout the map and try to track down where the enemy fleet was. Losing a battle because I ran out of patience scouting the map and ended up splitting my fleet up to make it go faster didn’t leave me with a great feeling.