Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

So, I’ve been watching some gameplay of Obsidian Prince and it’s really unique and interesting. The gameplay looks quite simple at first, but there’s a lot going on.

You have a set of standard abilities you can use thatCost different amounts of energy. These get modified by two different decks of cards, but this isn’t a card game in the traditional sense.

Your character has a deck that represents their backstory. When you enter a room, you pick 3 of these from a selection, which then modify combat in that room. These might give you a bit of health or armor, or they might modify an ability in some way.

The other deck is called inspirations. Three of those are dealt each turn (a turn here is in the traditional roguelike sense, so moving one space would cause three new cards to be drawn). Because of this, it might be more advantageous to use a given ability that turn because of which cars were drawn. For instance, you might draw cleave, which attacks an adjacent event for free if you get a kill with a basic attack that turn.

When you start getting into fights with different types of ranged and melee units, managing your energy and dancing around different attacks gets far more involved than the gave appears at a glance.

If a character gets defeated, they don’t die, but they get a negative card added to their backstory. These are automatically chosen when drawn. On the default difficulty these seem easy to get rid of, but maybe on veteran (the recommended difficulty once you are familiar) it’s more of an issue, which would explain why characters can be retired.

I haven’t even mentioned that there is town building, including different facilities that can Train new characters to be different classes.

The game already looks pretty deep, but is going to be in EA for 1-2 years to add more to it. Hoping to be really interesting to see how it develops.

Interesting. Tempted to pick it up just to stop me buying Farm Manager. But given it’s not just a management sim, I’m curious how it compares to, say, Viticulture.

Yeah, when I saw they didn’t even have save game functionality in yet, I decided to wait. I’ll pick it up after it ripens.

They definitely do have save files.

Yeah, I saw the dev response that they were adding it in the next update so looks like they did.

Indie Total War -like.

Casual Anno-like building & management on a globe.

Pixel graphics Metroidvania.

Smelter was mentioned by Bobtree a month ago. There’s a review on Buried Treasure. Interesting concept: There’s a lite RTS where you’re building and defending structures. Then to expand where you can build, you go in to attack areas with your main character as an action platformer.

It’s got a pretty badass intro cinematic, too.

Just stumbled across this small take on Total War and was wondering if anyone had taken it for a spin and what their thoughts were on it?

I was looking to see if the Java Fabled Lands app had updated to include the crowdfunded book 7 (answer no, no updates since 2017) but discovered this:

Should be hitting early access any day now. Intrigued! (Also, not up for Early Access, sorry!)

I didn’t particularly care for the Fighting Fantasy games done a few years back (the apps were nice, didn’t think the source material was all that). You think these will be better?

Looks like books 1, 2, and 4 is the plan for the initial 1.0 release

The Fabled Lands books are already much better than the average Fighting Fantasy gamebook and were specifically designed to be open world in design, with each book representing a region of the gameworld and having some paths and encounters chaining off keywords from other regions. Unfortunately, of a planned 12, only six were originally published. There was a recent reprint and a KS that funded book 7.

They’re pretty much perfect for a digital adaptation, even more so than the Sorcery! books that Inkle did so well with. Now, will this implementation do them justice? Fuck if I know.

Right. I played those too. They were…ok. Again, app was great…I seem to recall liking the first part, but not the rest

From watching vids, it looks like Total War: Roblox. I’d also be curious to see what people have to say.

Also, Infinitode 2 looks like a very abstract but deep tower defense offering.

Legend of Keepers full release, A Darkest Dungeon style with you as the Dungeon Master

And Tavern of Gods, a solo rougelite autochess

I tried the “Prologue” version that was free and this seemed like it should be right up my alley, but it fell flat for me. I know some others 'round here like it, though.

Mind Scanners.

Papers, Please in a futuristic Dystopia with you “treating” mental illness and “mental illness”.
You have some flexibility in treatment with various devices (minigames to deal with different types of insanity tokens) and drugs.
A timer and time management (treatment, travel and development of devices) are integral in pushing you forward.

Farlanders.
Got a demo (Prologue) now.

Puzzly city building and resource management. Turn based but strong time pressure via objectives, constantly growing population and resource consumption.

Yeah this has been on my wishlist for a while. Looks like my kind of weird (and makes me think of the old 16-bit Exxos game Kult). I just bought it; looking forward to trying it later.

Ooh, that does look interesting. Reminds me a little aesthetically of 16-bit Mars city-builder Utopia, though I doubt it plays much like it.

Yeah I am really liking what they are showing so far in Farlanders.

I played an early prototype of Farlanders (I swear it was called something different, but I can’t seem to figure out what it was) on itch.io while back. It was definitely good, and pretty tricky. The kind of game where I would get an hour in and then I would want to start over because I had messed up so many little things along the way and I knew I could do better at laying a stronger foundation for my colony. Then an hour into my new game I’d feel the same way again.