Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I toyed with it. It has a ton of potential but wow was it rough around the edges when I played.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Inkulinati has been on my wishlist for some time. Looking forward to it.

Yeah I love the look of Inkulinati!

I grabbed Shadows and have played around with it a bit. Documentation is sparse and there’s no tutorial, although there are enough tooltips and help screens. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but it’s not insurmountable.

Essentially it’s a board game, with each board made up of x locations headed by a member of the nobility, all of whom like or dislike each other to a greater or lesser degree, broken down by nation and further into duchies. The goal of the game is to spread “The Darkness” until it infests 75% of the board. You have a limited number of agents you can place and a limited number of tools at your disposal. You can infiltrate a location until you are able to “enthrall” the local noble, turning him/her into one of your agents, or spread the Darkness down to the vassals. Or you can choose to incite wars or rebellion and cause chaos t hat way. Or spread disease. You get the idea. All the while agents are investigate “clues” left behind by your agents actions and they can be banished or executed if discovered.

The tools you get to work with depends on character creation. At the start of the game you can select two “Dark Names”, each of which comes with 3-6 powers. Some specialize in infiltration, while others may raise armies of the undead. There are a lot of names from which to choose, so a lot of replayability.

My one complaint is even zoomed all the way out you can’t see the entire map and have to scroll around. That’s a bit of an annoyance, but other than that I think I’m going to like this a lot.

Thanks. Does sound a lot like That Which Sleeps.

Wishlisted.

It’s $8. Be a sport :)

This left EA yesterday - it made my wishlist, I’ll see if I ever have time for anything other than Dark Souls

I bought it during the sale and spent a couple of great hours with it. The design is so smart, I really like it and should get back to it. I haven’t because of a very busy real world period, and because the game is PC only - I bought my PC only when I have an urge to play my flight sim, I wished the game had a Mac version.

It is very overwhelming at first, so many options! But I got familiar with they’ll surprisingly quickly.

Free 2D platformer roguelite.

Star Dynasties has left early access. 4X Crusader Kings -like.

Rift Wizard was on my list too.

The world is dead. Let’s play golf. Awesome. :)

Yeah it does look good. I bought it straight away as it’s definitely within “why not” range. Will report back later when I’ve had a go.

That trailer is amazing and not at all what I expected. It actually makes me very interested in the game, and I have no interest in golf games.

Well, I’m not full of praise for Golf Club Wasteland, but I’ve just spent 40 minutes playing it and here are my thoughts for what they’re worth.

The first three levels teach you basically how to play, then you’re asked to choose between story mode (no penalties), challenge mode wherein you have to make at least par on each level, and a hardcore mode I didn’t look at.

I started on challenge mode and made steady but often frustrating progress. The game is all over the place, really. I swear the shot power indicator isn’t linear even though it looks like it should be; a half power lob will hit the ball no higher than your own head, while a full power lob will hit it over small buildings. Similarly, the level design is incredibly uneven. A lot of the shots you need to make are not only very easy but also come with built-in bumpers and barriers to ensure even a bad shot isn’t a total disaster. But sprinkled in with these are some ridiculous shots you need to make, like hitting a ball into a small pipe from a good distance away, which coupled with the fairly awkward control system means you rely more on luck than skill in many instances.

It’s a shame because the rest of the game is lovely. The graphics are pretty and understated, with some nice animations in the background that enhance and never distract. The music - you listen to a radio station throughout the game - is a highlight for me, being a combination of ambient to soft, dreamy rock, reminiscent of the Surviving Mars radio stations. Interspersed with the songs are the ramblings of a DJ whose voice I swear I’ve heard before, and people calling into the station to relate tales of their respective lives on Earth before the…whatever…happened and banished everyone to Mars.

It’s a nice experience which is marred by the golf rather than enhanced by it, at least in my opinion - although take the golf out and you’d just have a walking simulator (probably one of the better ones though).

Ultimately the level design of the golf lets the game down. There are far too many instances of almost pixel-perfect shots needed to progress, and the game can be very punishing if you miss certain shots, almost in a Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy way (never quite that bad though). About half way through the game’s 35 levels I switched to story mode in a rage, but it didn’t really help matters much. Walking simulators shouldn’t make you angry, but this one was starting to, and it was distracting me from the rest of the experience.

Verdict: mildly disappointing, but a relatively unique and sometimes gorgeous experience. I might actually go back and finish it, maybe one level per session at a time! Is the current price worth it? Yeah…just.

That’s good info, you’ve at least talked me off the ledge of buying blind out of vague interest. I am not really looking to be frustrated by a silly 2D golf game at this point in time.

Hero’s Hour is currently available on itch, but coming to Steam.

Major Kohan vibes here.

Kohan is a RTS, right?
This one is more like a heroes of might and magic, turn base in the world, but with real time combat.
For the price, it’s pretty good.

So that would be the TW formula then?

Yes and it’s on Steam so go play it. It’s still amazing.