Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

It’s OK, but more of a logistics game than anything to do with organized crime. Pretty forgettable

@Sonoftgb I had the same opinion of it.

Anybody try any of the City of Gangsters DLC? I’m curious if it improves it any.

There’s a demo of Howl, the inky turn-based tactics game announced a little while ago:

From the game description:

“See the best minds of your generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,”

You’ve just given me an idea for a new thread. Post a piece of a game description and everyone guesses what game it is.

That’s from Allen Ginsburg’s poem ‘Howl’, which I guess makes sense given the game’s name.

And the man wins a cupie doll!

Life is good.

If it’s successful, do you think we’ll get William S. Burroughs’ Naked Lunch: The Video Game?

Seems likely to produce this reaction:

I’ve got about 15 hours in this so far. It’s kind of grindy, and pretty simplistic, but I keep playing it for some reason lol. Light crafting, light character building. Part base defense, part survival, part rpg looter. It’s a fun combo of stuff, I especially like survival mode.

Currently on sale, and certainly worth the 6 bucks or whatever in my opinion if the idea interest you.

So I really clicked with the Howl demo which looks like the entire first chapter. It’s gorgeous but the melancholic, ambient and acoustic folk music in particular is perfect for this kind of thinky tactical puzzling. There’s a turn par (or ‘prophecy’, as it’s called), killing all the beasties and saving all civilians, and sometimes you’ll need to do a level more than once to achieve each of those. You’ll be rewarded with skulls and ‘confidence’ to unlock upgrades which in some cases will allow you to do certain challenging levels. While it is a tactical puzzler, there’s some flexibility here with undos and a two hearts health system so even if you mess up you can still sometimes hit those targets on a first try. I stopped playing the demo because it’ll be a day one purchase for me now!

Yeah I saw this on Epic and after Slipways I’m wondering whether the logistics element actually might me be more appealing to me!

Oh, cool! Glad to hear that Howl really worked for you. I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

Are you playing solo or MP?

Thanks to Eurogamer for pointing this out.

you’re in classic twin-stick territory. But your arena is a raft, out at sea, and the beasts you’re up against can take chunks out of it. But! You can rebuild it! But! To do that you have to stop shooting for a bit.

Sounds like a good one try out in Steam Next Fest limited time demo thingie.

I’ve been following Pizza Tower for ages and while I’ve not picked it up yet–damn, I forgot to add that to my wallet threat–it’s been getting rave reviews. I thought I’d share this seeing as a) it’s one of said reviews, b) I really like Patrick Gill’s work, and c) @Left_Empty, @Strato and @WarpRattler all mentioned Wario Land in @Rock8man’s Nintendo Online classic games thread.

Hnnngh, might be time to pull the trigger.

I’ve watched a couple of virtual friends play it, and they were very enthused for that same Wario-ish reason, but boy! those visuals! that horrific soundscape!
I’ve hardly been this turned off by a game since Cuphead.

Single player, survival mode.

Radio the Universe looks like it’s taking some big swings for a little game:

There’s a Next Fest demo!

It ought to be considering it was crowdfunded in 2012 and hasn’t released yet. or maybe 2013. anyway. a longass time ago.