Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Boneraiser Minions has left early access.

The digital adaptation of Munchkin is out of EA. I’ll probably give it a shot over the weekend.

Ha ha. Boneraiser.

This is a good vampire survivors/bullet heaven style game.

Rather than collecting weapons you summon/raise more and more creatures to help you.

Lots of things to unlock including some classes that play differently and a few other game modes including a CCG!

This is a brilliant concept. Only just heard of Hisato No Saku, though it came out in 2021:

It’s an RPG where you guard the town gates, decide who gets let in, and who you turn away (and apparently fight off, if you need to). With the goal of getting your town through the winter by choosing who to admit.

(Oh shit, I hope this isn’t an allegory on immigration policy)

It’s a fake Japanese game, but there is a real Japanese one that I won’t link here with… let’s say a very, very different take to the ethics of No Papers Please!

Relic Space! Anyone for a turn-based… 4X… rogue-like early access spaceship battling game? @BrianRubin, this on your radar?

Sure is, having the dev on our podcast in a couple of weeks. Haven’t yet tried the game though. It’s made by the same developer of this:

Which was excellent, so I have high hopes.

Teraformers finally hit 1.0

I watched KoS play this a few months ago, sold me on it.

But it is a puzzle game, isn’t it? It also looks nice. What really scares me is the idea of “There is this one path you’ll have to figure out…” Can you tell if that’s the case here?

It’s very board game-like. I wouldn’t call it puzzly.
Imagine if Terraforming Mars the board game were actually fun.

You just got my attention.

Barotrauma has left early access.

I’ve played about 5h of Boneraiser Minions now, and it’s excellent. The strong reviews are well deserved.

That’sbait.gif

The Last Spell has left early access.

Wow, that looks great. I must have it.

Just released into early access - currently has 4 characters and something like 8 (very different) weapons - but what’s here feels pretty polished. There’s a boost (but no i-frames) and the map has planets that you unlock that can give buffs or dispense items. (Edit: and of course - SPACESHIPS is the best setting!)

It’s on the punishing side though - you feel that contact damage and you don’t get invincibility so even with a couple upgrades I feel like I’ll definitely die if I say boost straight into an enemy. There are waves and currently three bosses (the bosses are enormous and feel very satisfying to take down, but create arenas with instakill edges), and some of the waves are swarms that will try to surround - the two main enemies are weak red ships that you can cut down easily and tanky white enemy ships which I discovered will actually move out of your way slowly if they are alone, but during swarms can come in such huge numbers that the eventually the additional ships coming in behind them shove the ones in front into you, so there’s a bit of decision making on watching your escape routes since once all of those are gone you have to hold your ground or be crushed.

Spin Rhythm went to 1.0 yesterday and is a great time, provided you like EDM. Each track has multiple levels and at least the first three are approachable for standard humans.

I am awful at this, but if I’m on your friends list that’ll give you a low bar to clear.

This is an understatement. I refunded it.

New Turnfollow game! New Turnfollow game!

Before the Green Moon is a (yet another) cozy farming game, this one with a sci-fi premise and–I’m sad to say–some character art that is pretty unappealing to me. But after A Good Gardener and Wide Ocean, Big Jacket, it’s a day one for me!