Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

The visuals are appaling, but this is very intriguing. I seem to remember a (sadly) f2p game with about the same premise, although I can’t remember its name. They do not seem related though.

I agree that the graphics are straight out of an Atari 400, but the game play is solid enough and there’s sufficient depth for me to get past that.

Seems @LordGek was there.

Yeah, Gek has played it. I watched some video of it, and while I liked the idea, wasn’t a big fan of some of the mechanics. For instance, it seems like small shots should charge more quickly than big ones.

Speaking amounts about how using Humble to promote your game may not be worth it, I just discovered Nifflas had released a new game through them as a monthly exclusive a few months back. It is called Uurnog.

Anybody played it?

I assume these might probably possibly maybe get revoked when the full game gets released, but here’s a couple of Steam keys for the closed beta. Expect some clunkiness.

GONE!

Thanks, Amanda! Took the first one! (Check the second one–did you get the G and + transposed?)

Probably the developer messed up when they sent the key.

Thanks for mentioning this! It was part of a recent Humble Monthly, but I didn’t realize it was by Nifflas.

Just gave it a quick try and it’s real strange. It has almost a Spelunky vibe, even though it doesn’t seem to have any randomization. There is one room–like your homebase and the hub to all the different stages–whose state is permanently saved. Everywhere else you can mess with and then reset the state if you need to. The platform-puzzles are designed. Your goal is to find certain creature-blocks and bring them back to your save room. Each one you do unlocks a door to another stage or gives you some money. You spend money to get bombs, guns, and other random stuff.

Seems pretty chaotic and a little messy, but it’s intriguing.

Oh, it sounds much different from what I expected (which wasn’t clear to begin with). Well, considering the author, I will probably just grab it and experience this weirdness first hand!

Spent a little hour with it, and indeed, is it a weird beast! Interestingly enough, although the art and sounds aren’t the usual Nifflas fair, the game still keeps something… intangible I guess, that makes it instantly recognizable as one of his games. Maybe it is the use of doors to access area, the floaty, light sense of the jumps, or simply because everything is alive and grooming with personality, even the cubes. I especially loved how the mechanics reveal themselves to you, in a very smart way. The first time you… nah, not gonna spoil anything to anyone who might be reading!

Boardgame time! Terra Mystica is out for Windows and mobile platforms. Very complex, with a huge learning curve, and an interface made up of dozens of tabs and sliders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZV5MT63Q4

Right now it’s only available through the MIcrosoft store, but it has been Greenlighted (Greenlit?) so should be turning up on Steam in the not too distant future.

A couple of things I wish I had known before purchasing:

No async play, and it doesn’t appear that games can be saved. Both a problem since I think a game takes a long time, even if only 6 turns. Also it only shipped with “Easy” AI, with Normal and Hard promised as “coming soon”. I hope that means in a patch and not as DLC.

Still, no refunds, so I’ll grit my teeth and try to learn this beast and hope those issues get addressed.

[edit] Turns out single player games are saved when you exit, so that’s a big help.

To clarify, MP asynch play is available in the iOS version, no?

Digidiced doing the port! Yummy!

From another forum, the iOS version seems to have asynchronous (edit: and bugged) multiplayer. I guess this will be the version to get.

Is it? I don’t know. I may be completely wrong about that anyway - I’ve been spending most of my time in the tutorial.

Turns out I was completely wrong. Having gotten a feel for the game I ventured online and it turns out that async games are not only possible, they are he default. Oops.

Details revealed and coming May 10th!

• 4 new characters
  • a new 4-star expedition
  • a whole new game mode: The Emperor’s Challenge

Day. 1. Purchase.

again I shall do score-battle with @tomchick

Everyone get your wallets out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/582810/Serious_Metal_Detecting/

EDIT: The link may not be working, so try this instead to instabuy Serious Metal Detecting.

Getting an error on your image.