Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Attention fans of Realm of the Mad God!

Digital Extremes are offering Steam alpha access for Human Head Studios pixel-art, F2P, bullet-hell, rougelite, MMO game, Survived By. All you have to do is answer two of five tasks on the giveaway page, and you’ll get a Steam key: https://gleam.io/3z4A5/survived-by-alpha-key-giveaway

Thank you, this looks great!

Hitting Steam and Switch on the 20th:

Physical attacks use Y
Magical attacks use X
Panic attacks use alcohol

Still in Early Access, Three Kingdoms:The Last Warlord seems to offer a different take on that period than the Koei games.

Aside from the usual EA issues, it’s a port of a Chinese game, which means the manual, website, and most of the Steam forums are still in Chinese. Plus there’s no tutorial.

If I had the time I’d grab it and figure it out on my own. But I don’t, so I’ll just wait.

Frankly, from the look of the screens and their whole plan, this really looks like an earlier Koei game clone (same currencies, same high concept of loyalty and command by number of men, same sort of diplomatic options) - although to be fair, the earlier Koei ROTK games were all pretty different takes beyond their bland numbers, so this might be the case here too.
I am very superficial: I am very curious to know if they’ll offer individual portraits for all of the historical figures.
I’ll wait as well: thank you for putting it on the radar!

System Requirements: A brain that can understand Chinese. :(

Commands & Colors: The Great War is on sale and I am tempted by it, but I am a bit wary because it is Hexwar, there are talks of bugs (i.e: it is Hexwar), and one reviewer tells the game overloads his CPU, as is all too common with poorly mastered Unity games.
Anybody grabbed that game?

@Left_Empty -

I bought it at release and it is one of Hexwar’s better titles. It’s a great combat system (I’d love to see it used in a Napoleonics game, for instance) and really a lot of fun. Well worth $10, imo.

Now you’ve got me thinking about re-installing it.

This has a digital version?? Just yesterday I discovered the kickstarter for the new release of the boardgame and was mulling over whether it was worth the investment. The Steam version is apparently devoid of microtransactions but the lack of online MP is a biggie.

No multiplayer?!? That’s disappointing.

(If you want to get some multiplayer C&C on, you can buy Battlelore: Command instead, currently $2.79).

This is because of you and this game (that you recommended in a previous sale already), that I got interested into the Commands & Colours system.
It is sad to learn there is no online MP for that Great War one, but I will probably grab it because I end up hardly ever playing MP anyway (not a single Battlelore game played that way yet, while I have gifted it around!).

Yay! I don’t feel bad about that at all. I have a closet FULL of C&C Ancients stuff. Which I never get to play anymore. sniff.

Heh, I have only the base C&C:A game and it’s been gathering dust on the shelf for years. I guess the added complexity over Memoir '44 ultimately proved to be too much even for my eldest son who is a Roman history buff.

Battlelore 2nd Ed, on the other hand, remains a big hit. I have all the expansions minus the neutrals. Sad to see the series was abandoned before we got the Elves.

Well, this text adventure looks as if it might be a hoot (the sequel is on Steam too):

While not a new game by any means I’ve been playing Read Only Memories over the holiday break and been enjoying it a lot. Strong vibes of 80s/90s style J-adventure games like Snatcher and Policenauts

Anybody played this? Thinking of grabbing it on Switch

I started playing this today, and coincedentally it’s the same day that the “Sunken Sins” free dlc dropped. As far as I can tell the dlc added some extra strategic options for revealing traits, and the games length is now 5 years instead of 3.

The only trouble is that the devs freely state that the game is now significantly harder. I think this might be fine for experienced players, but since I only just started I find it extremely difficult. Difficult enough to be like a roguelike where I lose the game after 3-4 executions. Trouble is, unlike a roguelike, there isn’t much of any variety between playthroughs and so I just feel like deleting the game for its difficulty. There’s no option for something a bit more forgiving either.

I saw that DLC and reinstalled Shrouded Isle yesterday to check it out, but it shake things up enough to really hold my interest,

This looks fascinating, anyone willing to be the canary?

I’m interested enough to check it out further. I’ll watch the video the developer put up and see if it holds my interest.