Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

This thing is not even in alpha yet, but seems maybe people could be interested here

Thumbs up for Glass Masquerade , Tom mentioned this in a stream. I just played 2 clocks and am really enjoying the presentation. Explore the world! Assemble stained glass clock puzzles!

Cheers, this looks right up my alley. Looking forward to sitting down with it!

Definitely looks like a nice easy-going game. Bought!

Yeah its relaxing and has this just one more puzzle kinda feel, I just finished Europe.

Saw that @lordkosc had bought this on my Steam feed and checked it out. Great little game for under $2 right now. I’m kind of enjoying these “light” indie experiences like Glass Masquerade and Shadowhand.

Embrace your true self: start collecting Artifex Mundi games achievements.

I don’t think I’m ready for Artifex Mundi yet, but having always considered myself something of a “hardcore” gamer (meaning: mainly interested in heavy-ish RPG/strategy games), I’m surprised to see how much I’ve come to favor lighter, indie and even casual games in the last few years, to the point that today they take up basically all of my gaming time.

Never heard of them, but judging by the artwork on the page you linked to are they hidden object games?

I have come to appreciate the value of a lighter more casual game, an amuse bouche if you will, between bigger, heavier games. I find the Artifex Mundi Games fit the bill quite well for exactly that, clearing the palate between more intense efforts.

They are. They publish stuff of various quality, generally serviceable. Their own developed games are top quality, excepting their Time Mysteries series.
They are my guilty pleasure.

Desert Golfing was released on Steam a few weeks ago. It is my all-time favorite mobile game and probably works well with a mouse since all the designer’s other games do.

For those unfamiliar, it is a golfing game designed by Justin Smith of Envirobear and Realistic Summer Sports Simulator fame. It is game design reduced to its essence. It is the Donald Judd of video games: a monochromatic, extreme minimalist title without menus, options, set goals, or an ending point. There is no clutter, only infinite golfing across a jagged desert. Around hole 1000, the color palette begins to subtly shift. Every now and then, you will come across a cactus, a stream of water, maybe even a face etched into the landscape. The stark emptiness of most of the holes gives these moments an air of transcendence that most games, with their kitchen-sink approach, never reach. It is very relaxing, but certain holes can be extremely challenging if you are concerned about how many strokes you’re using to finish a hole. It’s more of a physics-based puzzle game than a traditional sports title.

I think it is absolutely brilliant and well worth $1.99.

Holy moly, this is a lovely game and absolutely beautiful. And it seems like just a jigsaw puzzle app but with incredible art until you think about what it’s doing for a bit: The unplaced pieces only give you shape, not color, orientation, or actual size. You get those when you pull it up to try to place it. It’s a nice stratification of information. Glass Masquerade is great!

Oh, also, Desert Golfing is an absolute classic, although I have a hard time feeling the same about it on PC instead of mobile. It’s expansive modesty seems to fit so nicely on my phone. I wouldn’t even play it on tablet!

Yeah I am surprised how much I enjoy it, I finished up all of Europe / North and South America, working over in Africa now. :)

Glass Masquerade is great. Good find!

It’s all @tomchick , he mentioned it in like a 5 second blurb on one of his M/W/F youtube streams in December, caught my attention so I asked him what it was.

Don’t think Kona has been mentioned in this or the other indie game thread (just merge 'em already)

Played the first hour and it’s a really intriguing blend of the Long Dark (though rather forgiving so far) and Firewatch. You are a detective investigating a murder in the Canadian wilderness and (predictably) things aren’t quite what they seem. It’s quite easy going so far in terms of difficulty but the atmosphere is lovely and this is very much the kind of game I am looking for lately. Would not be surprised to see this sneak into my top games of 2017 when all is said and done.

RPS review here - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/24/kona-review/

Yeah I saw it on sale, but still haven’t played similar games I already own. I did wishlist it.

Similar games that I haven’t played yet and do look interesting:

Def! I have Kholat from some bundle but don’t get on with horror games so not sure about that one. I wishlisted the other during the sale, that sounds like my sort of game for sure.