Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Ants! Who doesn’t find ants fascinating? This looks like a hoot.

Wonder if it will be as good as Sim Ant was back in the day.

Mac at Worth a Buy raved about it, though his enthusiastic review is NSFW.

Or Battle Bugs. I loved that game.

Looks good, ill put it on my wish list. I wonder how many years (if ever) until it is done.

Itch.io did a year in review for 2017. Lots of indie games mentioned in top 10 lists.

We shall see, but it is different in that you play the manager of the colony, rather than as an ant. KoS likes what she sees so far.

Yep, finished it up tonight, around 3 hours total. :)

Was at PAX South this weekend. Two indie games caught my attention as stuff that’s good , and also stuff I could see Tom really liking.

First one was a game called Trackher (already in EA on Steam). It was a twinstick shooter where you’re playing two games where how you do in one relates to the other. Had a real good theme, some difficulty, and it just seems like a good challenge game Tom would get into.

The second one is Grapple Force Rena. It’s a platformer mostly done by one person, whose love really shows in the game. Given how Tom reacted to a Hat in Time, I could see him liking the game due to the charm, even if it’s a smaller/simpler game.

http://www.grappleforce.com/ Early Demo here, though the game is about seven to eight months out.

I highly recommend the Rusty Lake games - there are three modestly sized pay installments on Steam (and mobile), and 9 free ones under the title Cube Escape available as either flash games or free mobile downloads, all in the same setting, more or less. You don’t have to play the Cube Escape games to make sense of the Rusty Lake ones, but they’re also good so you might as well.

As the “Escape” part of Cube Escape might indicate, they’re broadly in the escape room subgenre, but I’ve found the puzzles overall tend to be a tad more accessible than the ones I’ve encountered in other escape room games and the atmosphere is quite creepy and surreal. In Cube Escape Seasons, for example, you move between the same house in four different seasons and three different years, but the house is less and less welcoming as you go. In Rusty Lake Hotel, you’re tasked with feeding a coterie of animal-headed guests, and where else would you source the meat than those very same guests? So each night you visit one of them in their room and supply their needs in a way that leads to their gruesome death. And then in the morning, it’s time to visit the chef…

That’s about how long it took me, too. Super lovely game, hope they make more soon.

Later this year!

Perfect!

Awesome!

It’s a nice little game and the first one I’ve found that a friend of mine actually likes.

I saw this recommended over on the ResetERA January Indie games thread, I am not sure if it’s worth the price they are asking, but I am sure gonna wishlist it for the summer sale.

This just got a massive translation patch, with most of the game now in English (voice-overs are still in Chinese). Still no English manual or tutorial, so I’m slowly starting to figure things out on my own, whenever I have some time to spare.

It seems to have the depth of the Koei games, but not the polish. In fact, the character portraits look like they came straight out of Stellar Monarch

There’s a demo for Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a Lovecraft role-playing game with gorgeous art, out on Steam. The store page says the full game isn’t releasing until 2019, so I thought this thread would be more appropriate than the “Worth Playing” one, but definitely check this out if you’re a fan of c-RPGs like Age of Decadence. The demo’s two-hours long, and I think the game’s shaping up to be pretty special.

I’ve got the demo and am very intrigued.

Is it me or is Cthulhu now back in fashion?

And is it me or is it always set in the 1920’s? :S

Hey, if any of you folks played and enjoyed The Fall, then good news! The second chapter is on its way -

Unbound will be dropping on PC, PS4 and Xbox One on February 13. Honestly, though the first chapter basically said “to be continued” I wasn’t sure it would happen, so this is a pleasant surprise.