Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I’m sad sometimes, she said. Well, a lot of the time. I don’t know why the world is the way it is. I don’t feel like I fit. Maybe that’s why these things keep happening. But the only way to change things, the only way to avoid me dying a little bit every day, is to stop being a character and to start writing. It’s hard. It’s scary. But it’s the only way. And it’s the only story I’m ever going to get.

So, I’ve become quite interested in finding out more about ‘Dead in Vinland’. Does anyone have it or know anything about it? It actually kind of looks a bit like King of Dragon Pass to me. It’s turn based with turn based combat and seems be be a bit of a genre mixer like Thea was. Maybe Thea is a better comparison actually.

A friend of mine wrote a review (it’s in Portuguese though). He felt it was kind of a mix of Thea and Darkest Dungeon, in a way.

I have watched a couple of streams, and I was immediately concerned about replayability. The characters, the locations the events, all seemed exactly the same in everyone’s videos. Is it all fixed locations and encounters, always the same 4 characters, and a single story?

I believe it is, which is why I took a pass.

I own it (of course I do, right?) and have also played their other Dead In game (Dead In Bermuda (received for free on Origin…not sure if it’s still free)). I like DIB, but always felt like I was fighting the UI (so many numerical values spread over multiple screens with minimal synopses).

DIV addresses this and adds more to the game, including the aforementioned Darkest Dungeon-like combat. From what I’ve read, you always start with the same four family members (father, his wife and daughter, and the wife’s sister). But the encounters on the map you explore are randomly generated, as is the loot you find. The main story line is the same (like Darkest Dungeon), but interactions between the characters will vary depending on their mood towards each other. Each character (others will join your camp) starts with two hereditary traits (one positive and one negative) and two random negative traits.

It’s a deeper game than DIB and the better game overall. Plus, it’s gorgeous to look at, and the devs are taking suggestions and have already promised to continue expanding it. You can grab it for only $15 (25% off) in the VIP section on GMG using the personalized code. If you enjoy managing your heroes in Darkest Dungeon, I think you’ll enjoy managing the characters in DIV as they try to survive after being driven from their home and shipwrecked.

Thanks man. You are a font of information about these kind of games and your game tastes seem very similar to mine. So this is on my wishlist for sure.

Ok so this looks like it could be fun…

I played Dead in Vinland for maybe three hours last night and had a very good first impression. I definitely was wishing I could keep going, a “gotta do one more turn” feeling."

As I play, I do not think of Darkest Dungeon or Thea. Unlike those, this title seems light on combat, at least early on. It seems to focus on building infrastructure and building up your little community, with a focus on character relationships, and resources, and, especially, the depression and injuries and illness and fatigue that stand in your way of progress.

If I have any issue to this point, it is a sense of lack of agency, at least early on. You assign characters to task for each half day, taking into account small advantages and disadvantages to possible configurations. Then the characters converse in the evening with gains and losses large enough to dwarf all your strategizing. But I also realize that that may the feeling they are trying to create – the characters feel a lack of power over their situation, and the game is instilling that in players, too. In the background, I suppose these uncontrolled swings are figured into the game balance.

As to replay value, I suspect this will not be a problem. The game looks to be quite long. The traits you start with are partly randomized anyway, and it is not long before you have chosen or earned most of your traits. And locations on the island are randomized each playthrough. I mean, EU starts with the same map and countries start with the same tendencies, but no one complains about lack of replay. I predict that this will be much the same.

Mostly news regarding the next game Introversion is working on :

Also this mars game from some other new developer looks pretty good :

That’d be a conversion of the boardgame, I suspect.

I…I might need this…

You know, I hope they make a fortune so they can afford to actually have Peter Cullen do the narration.

I like this look of this one. It’s stylish without that boring pixal-art fuzziness. Is it any good though?

Serial cleaner is here, and 1 day remaining to get it for $1.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/curve-pick-mix-bundl

And ACG liked it.

Anybody tried this:

Billed as a fantasy XCOM.

I’ve gone as far as wish listing it, but that’s it. I’ve reached my quota for EA titles in that I’m currently playing Factorio and Rimworld.

I’m definitely interested in hearing what anyone thinks that’s taken the plunge already.

Certainly looks pretty.

There’s a demo, which I tried and didn’t like. Seems less X-com and more obstacle puzzle. Also, the humour and tone just didn’t appeal to me.

BEACON looks pretty interesting, its still Early Access and as of right now only on ITCH.io