Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I imagine I’m overlooking something, but I only recently became aware of a game called The Messenger that looks pretty awesome (searching here is a bit tricky because there’s a movie by the same name, and then there’s the old IM tool). But I stumbled across someone playin on Twitch last night and thought it looked like a ton of fun! Anyone here playing this?

You mean this one?

Yep, playing it and enjoying it. People who’ve played Ninja Gaiden (I only played a portable version once, long ago?) said it’s very much inspired by it, but kindler and gentler. It’s also been compared to Shovel Knight, with which I would agree: same kind of modern nostalgia-done-well type of game. I’ve played for a couple of hours so far, but it’s very good. Great music, too.

Not too challenging either, at least in the early going. That includes a few bosses. Not a cakewalk, though: it strikes just the right balance for me. (Shovel Knight is a bit harder than this game, in my estimation.)

I think I talked about it in the Switch thread. The first part is decent. A little slow and annoying. It opens up later, but I stopped playing it. I might go back to it this weekend.

That’s the one. I think I’m going to need to pick it up, looks like a lot of fun.

Yeah, it’s fun! Some people complained about the writing, and I sort of get that (it’s a bit goofy), but I like the level design, the upgrade system, and so on. Movement is fluid and quick, which helps keep the pace. Combat is simple – the ability to destroy projectiles might make the game a bit too easy, perhaps?

Been playing “Dead Age” on Xbox One for a few hours tonight. Turn based Zombie survival. Rescue survivors, manage your camp, level up skills. Kind of like State of Decay if the combat was turn based. Has a strong “push your luck” mechanic because you have ~20 stages per area. You can heal, reload, or go home after each stage. But death is permanent so… I just got a mission that seems super difficult - I have to reach stage 20 when I’ve never gone past 10. Not sure if that’s a difficulty spike or me being overly cautious.

Really fun little popcorn strategy game. 20% off for launch week so it’s just $12. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dead-age/bs50bvrtw46g

What difficulty are you playing on?

I remember that one, or at least one like it. It can be testing if you get some bad luck during the combat. As I’m sure you already know, picking your party members becomes more important for longer missions; if you have any of them with the skill that adds health, that is very useful. Also take some medkits of course. You can get lucky and find some, but its not guaranteed.

The trick is remembering to use them in the heat of battle…I often forgot.

I am playing on normal.

There is another aspect of the game I should mention. Between missions is a time management sim. You are picking which survivors do various jobs. Crafting ammo, collecting food, making medkits, etc.

Anyway, price was right for a little distraction!

This the same game on iOS for 3 bucks?

Tom streamed it for PC a while ago, too.

I’ve owned dead Age forever but have never given it more than a few minutes. Something about the combat (I think the animation) just turns me off.

Not that I wouldn’t give it another shot.

Yup, looks to be. No clue if they added anything for the Xbox One edition.

Just passing by to remind you all that Crosscode will finally come out on the 20th (next week).

So Door Kickers: Action Squad just left early access. Looks pretty great.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/686200/Door_Kickers_Action_Squad/

I don’t know where to put this, so here it is!

@tomchick has to stream this when it releases!

Not on PC. Boo-urns.

In a strange move, Steam recommended something that was actually interesting to me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/916040/SFD/

This is a light XCOM-ish dungeon crawl. It is clearly influenced by Into the Breach, be it because of its emphasis on damage done by juggling or being pushed into walls and traps, or the isometric display. Because of its theme and that esthetic choice, it reminded me of the old computer’s Heroquest iterations of the board game, but it’s nothing that annoying.
I had a nice time playing the somewhat hidden demo (on its own store page, uh), but I wasn’t too fond of the obscure RNG approach to hits and misses. The lack of an undo function after movement was also sorely missing.

I’ve had my eye on that one too.

Huh. Thanks for this, Left_Empty!

I’m so far behind in this thread. But I don’t want to skip ahead in case of missing something great. Adding Logistical to my wishlist.