Logan (MMXVII A.D.)

Sure, but if given the choice I’d rather see a movie based on Storm or the hundreds of other X-men heroines they have out there to work with. X-23 as a stand alone character doesn’t interest me much at all, and the stories after Logan just would be so bleak and dark. After @ArmandoPenblade response I know I am not the only one that felt it ended in a that would probably keep me from watching anything else in that story line or universe or whatever comic book people call that.

There’s plenty of room for different styles, but the difference between the feel of Wonder Woman and what I envision an X-23 movie would be… I doubt it would get the appeal of the ladies nor do I believe it would be designed to appeal to us either.

I got into a pretty nasty argument with a really good friend who sees Logan as the most transportive and incredible superhero movie ever made, whereas it’s one of my least favorite movies I’ve ever seen. It was fun!

For more fun and to set the bar…what’s on the other end of the spectrum for you? Do you have a favorite or favorites?

-xtien

“Stop shooting. She heals.”

Favorite movies of all time, in only approximate order of preference, include:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Original Star Wars Trilogy
Stargate
Clue
Rat Race
The Producers (2005)

Amongst the superhero oeuvre, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, and Batman Begins are probably my all-time favorites.

The inclusion of Clue made me laugh. I thank you for that. I’ve never seen it, I just find that and the one that follows it funny as all time favorites. No judging!

With your list of superhero favorites, it’s weird to me that this didn’t work at all for you. All of those examples have antihero qualities–there’s kind of a spectrum in your choices–and Logan has so much superantihero in it. But maybe it lacks the “fun” factor that makes those work? Guardians is full of lovable scalawags. Tony Stark is a jerk, but a charming and witty jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold. and Batman is dark, but he’s got so many cool toys.

Logan lacks those charming qualities, but it still seems to fit on the spectrum.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that argument!

-xtien

“You can’t nurture rage.”

Rowan Atkinson was sublime in Rat Race man :)

Clue is way, way better than it should have been as a licensed property comedy. It is also in many ways heavily influenced by the excellent Murder by Death, which probably lands somewhere on my top-10 comedies.

For Logan, my loathing for it mostly comes from how it utterly eradicates the value and purpose of the struggles in the preceding ~8 or so X-Men flicks of the modern era. Everyone who fought and struggled and sacrificed died, in a pretty sad and anti-climactic way, and the hateful racist normal humans won in the most anti-climatic, boring, hopeless way imaginable. And then Dr. X went senile and Wolverine gave up.

I really like the X-men movies. Even the noticeably worse XM3 isn’t awful in my book, and DoFP cleans up some of its worst transgressions via time-travel shenanigans, anyway. What Logan does to that filmic universe is, in my eyes as a fan, unforgivable.

It’s probably worth noting that Logan’s not the kind of story I’m terribly interested in watching anyway. I go to the movies to escape from how dire and unpleasant real life is, not to revel in it for 2 hours :(

But it was an X-Men movie starring the excellent Jackman and Stewart, so I sucked up my doubts and went anyway. Which I thoroughly regret.

Other most-hated movies of all time include Dancer in the Dark and Drawing Restraint 9. Maybe I just really dislike movies starring Bjork!

Rat Race is really more fun than it should be. I am laughing just thinking about it and I haven’t seen it in years.

Logan is way more bleak and humorless and… harsh than most @ArmandoPenblade’s list. It’s just thankless and the glimmer of hope at the end could be easily snuffed out. I wouldn’t watch an X-men universe that had every movie like… that.

Yes, this exactly.

Batman Begins is, to me, the perfect way to do a “realistic” grimdark superhero flick. It’s still full of wonder and spectacle and impossible things, and its characters, although flawed and often broken, don’t actively alienate me as a viewer, and there’s just enough ludicrous pomp going on (Cillian Murphy’s turn as Scarecrow is one of my favorite cinematic Batman villains of all time) to “lighten” the mood when it’s really needed.

The entire sequence with Lovitz’s family and the museum and the car is almost too perfect; I can’t think about it without cracking up.

This is an atrocity! It’s a classic!

@ArmandoPenblade sign me up to the “not that impressed with Logan” brigand. That kind of angsty anti-hero stuff has been done to death recently. Logan is just another one of them. Laura as the long lost daughter is mildly interesting but not enough to carry this. The Wolverine (minus the last 1/2 hour) is better IMO. Yukio is a great sidekick.

No bloody clue on what Clue is, so I’m not judging…

You need to rectify that. It’s a cult comedy classic. Even my teenage sons who can bounce off older movies all loved it. So much craziness happening. Who is guilty and who isn’t? It’s great.

Adding Armando to my cool people list now.

Seriously you guys have to watch fucking Clue. It’s at least. . . *does math*. . . 97 times better than Logan ;-)

No credit unless you show your work.

This is literally the best possible reply and we should all really stop posting because Qt3 peaked tonight.

There are people who’ve never seen Clue? Geezus people, fix that right now.

Look. I played the board game plenty of times. Doesn’t that count?

I prefer going to movies where I don’t have to vote on what the ending is going to be.

-xtien

How do you know you prefer that? What other movies where you’ve voted on the ending are you basing this on? Because I want to see those too!

I’m thinking mainly of the movie Disaster on November 8 that came out last year, because what’s going on right now cannot be real. [oops…wrong sub-forum!]

But seriously folks, I want the filmmaker to decide the ending, not me. I’m not a big fan of alternate endings on DVD extras, for instance. But the point of your question is well taken. They are few and far between so I agree based on all you weirdo fans of Clue that I need to watch that movie. I honestly didn’t realize there were that many of you. Also, I love Tim Curry, so I don’t really have an excuse.

-xtien

“A man with your responsibilities reading about the end of the world…”