LOGistICAL - Sublime Logistical Strategy Puzzling

Try the thing I posted in the Steam thread, i.e. updating your Visual C++ runtime gubbins, which is probably quite out of date on Vista. I actually think it’s the developer’s problem and he needs to redistribute the correct packages he’s using. I don’t know what he’s using, so I just followed the CRefSharp FAQ and gave you a link to the VC 2013 redistribute. Hopefully it works!

(Infact you could try installing all of the things on this page. It shouldn’t hurt your computer…)

I’m also playing this way more than I think I would. A buddy came over this afternoon to help me with a rangehood install, I showed him the game and lo and behold I see him on Steam tonight playing away. Sure the game has its warts with the UI and stuff but underneath its a fun little gem. I now wonder how many of the 8000ish achievements I will get before I get tired of it. Even if its only 500 I will have got my money’s worth.

Woohoo yay!

I can tell you that after 39 hours of play I’ve unlocked 288 out of 8225. I think that if I were trying to get more acheivements faster I could be playing differently, because there are a bunch of achievements you get just by sending trucks into a new area of the map.

39 hours! Awesome! How much of Australia have you unlocked?

Damn you all, saving throw failed and game purchased.

Patience! The game will be 30% off in the Steam sale a couple of days from now.

Yeah was thinking of that, so I refunded and waiting until then.

Wait, did the dev say it’d be on sale?

Yeah on the Steam forums:

[quote=“sacada (developer) 17 Jun @ 9:55am”]
So for the Summer Sale (2017) the LOGistICAL base game, New Zealand DLC and The Netherlands DLC will be discounted, with additional discounts if you buy them in bundles.

All the other DLCs are too new to discount at this time.
It is likely the current Germany discount will be just about over before the Summer Sale begins.[/quote]

How many % of discount can i expect? :)

Nice, thank you!

I may buy in at 30% off seeing as how you all like this.

Yeah, I might just do the same.

Yay for more people buying the game!

@BrianRubin it would be more awesome if I weren’t playing so much because I’m out on short-term disability, which is how I come to be made out of free time right now. But I soldier on.

This evening I completed 100% of the towns in southern Sydney. It turns out that if you bring up the achievements tab and, as you’re mousing over a row to figure out which ones you haven’t gotten, you accidentally click, hey presto: all of the towns in the row’s region will be highlighted and color-coded to indicate which ones you’ve completed for that achievement and which ones you haven’t. LEAST DISCOVERABLE FEATURE EVER.

Oh wow, nice find!

Has anyone managed to solve Melbourne? It looks like quite the challenge to me. I’m not even sure where to begin.

In all it’s repetitive simplicity, this is a really good game. I have a strong “just one more turn” feel from it, and it has supplied me with my first actual 02:45 moment in quite some time.

Awesome! So glad to hear it.

I think I know how to solve Melbourne.

I just solved Bathurst last night Here’s a spoilerish account:

Having to get 99t of push bikes to Bathurst is a tough problem, because car yards can only hold 54t. If you back up two double trucks to Paramatta, they’ll each end up with 27t. That’s just enough to get Bathurst into the yellow on the first delivery, but not enough to complete it. You have to get two full doubles to Bathurst at the same time, plus two dump trucks. That gets you 96t, which is enough.

So the first problem is filling two doubles up at Paramatta. And the way you do this is to get the car yard at Homebush up to level 3, fill it with push bikes, and then, while the doubles are loading at Paramatta, send two dump trucks delivering push bikes from Homebush to Paramatta. The dump trucks unload faster than the doubles load, but it’s OK, all the cargo will end up on the doubles.

Then, when the doubles are about 2/3 of the way from Paramatta to Bathurst, you launch two dump trucks from Homebush, and they all arrive at Bathurst at more or less the same time.

I suspect that solving Melbourne is going to involve a similar approach, only using mining trains. Even if you can’t get a mining train into Melbourne itself, you can build a car yard on the main road. Fill mining trains up in Paramatta one at a time and send them southwards. (Of course, since each mining train can hold 200t of push bikes, you’ll need to fill one up, turn it off, and then replenish the push-bike supply in all the car yards in Sydney before you can load up the second.) Once you have 400t of push bikes on two mining trains, get them as far south as you can, bring all your goddamn dump trucks south, and then start unloading a mining truck into your car yard as you fill up dump trucks and shuttle them to Melbourne.

I think that’ll load the 400t of push bikes into Melbourne faster than Melbourne can eat them.

I was going to test out this proposal by buying a mining train (now that I’ve discovered where they come from - also, there’s a broken road up there that takes 2000t of asphalt to fix). But I discovered this morning that instead of having $2.2 million, my save file now has only $75K.

As far as I can tell, Melbourne will only accept 8T trucks. I haven’t bought my first mining train yet. Do they drive on any roads? If so, that will definitely be my approach as well. I was planning to build depots in all neighbor cities, and switch to a full rooster of 8T hoping that it would be enough. I’m still preparing for this approach. Lots of preparations needed…