Loki - The god of mischief on Disney+

I would argue that generically, knowing that a twist exists in everything except a M Night Shamalyan movie is a spoiler.

Wait, did Loki start?

Oh man, I can’t believe they brought Mephisto into the MCU like they did. /s

I can’t wait for the Batman crossover!

I hope I’m not piling on, but I agree that if you think “whoa, that twist at the end was crazy” is too much of a spoiler… you should not be in the dedicated thread on the day the show starts/a new episode stops.

Just watched and damn, that’s so far the best of the Marvel series. Great set design, cool story intro and intriguing mystery. Can’t wait for more, hope they can keep this up.

Thing is, I’m not even sure it’s a twist, as long as one is aware of the story of the character in the comics and thinks a bit about what the series appears to be about.

Seriously. I’m fine with being mindful, but that is a parody of spoiler phobia.

I have read many stories about "Time Agencies". They are always interesting, never the best stuff, usually not bad. I think is a good fit to put Loki here. A obvious device to study the character in the only controlled enviroment you can imagine for him.

Looking forward for where this goes.

Just watched the episode, and… wow. I’m seriously impressed.

My initial thought on this episode was “wow they sure are doing a lot of setup” but then I realized what they are actually doing was a lot of character development of 2012 Loki to get him up to speed with 2018 Loki (which is the Loki viewers last saw), along with a lot of setup, plus a lot of jokes based on the insane bureaucracy of the TVA. Assuming that they now have Loki in the right headspace and can move forward, it’s a solid first episode. Also, once you realize there’s a lot of character work going on very fast, Tom Hiddleston’s performance really shines forth as very strong, with Owen Wilson an excellent foil. Hiddleston’s face when he looks in that “junk drawer” is well done, sir.

Edit: decided to make most of my post a spoiler. I try to accommodate!

I guess I stand alone, I thought it was rather mediocre.

It was as though they tried to turn the knob up to 11 with the one liners, comedy and absurdity, but they were more often a swing and a miss than a hit.

Hoping it improves. I was very much looking forward to it.

Nothing that happens in the first episode of something can really be a “twist.” It’s part of the setup. And I, like DarthMasta, didn’t think it was all that unexpected, given what/who the series is about.

All assuming the first episode isn’t just a misdirect, and the real villain turns out to be Kang. Or Mephisto. ;)

Anyway, the first episode delivered what the trailers promised: wibbley-wobbly timey-wimey with plenty of Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson charm, and a pseudo Being John Malkovitch setting. (Never doubt Disney’s willingness to adopt a cutting edge style … from two decades ago.) This could be best Marvel show yet!

… Or it could end up being just OK, who knows. In any case, it’s more Loki/Hiddleston with bonus Owen Wilson, so I’m in.

I didn’t watch the trailers so I found the whole thing unexpected and delightful. It’s giving me Legion and Umbrella Academy vibes which are both shows I adore.

Hiddleston has been working out.

Disney could have saved a paycheck and just had Hiddleston do both roles

Hahahha amazing.

Holy fuck that was great.

Totally baseless series plotline theory: VariantKillerLoki is harvesting the timeline bombs in a bid to collect enough timeline-zapping juice to wipe the Sacred Timeline cultivated by the Time Keepers, because it turns out that they’re exactly as big of dicks as the first episode makes it clear they are, and no one, especially a Dick Triumvirate, should have that much power, so let’s go break their favorite toy and let chaos reign. I like it specifically because it lets Loki be the hero of how own show while still fulfilling core traits (petty, jealous, mischievous little nose thumbing murder scamp).

Edit: Also, it’s kinda bullshit they didn’t take the opportunity to go ahead and MCU canonize that Coulson got resurrected and isn’t dead at all, both as an in-the-moment fitting “You’re not so successful at all are you, Mr. God?” jab at Loki and as a way of finally bringing Agents of SHIELD into the true (that is, bi-directional) embrace of the MCU at long last.

My theory about why is the Agency the way it is:

• The take the agents from random points in time. The technology appears to look and function analogic and america 50’s ish because thats a standard average everyone can understand. Some of the tech is really advanced tech with a analogic old tech interface.
  • The agency are mostly humans because we are on earth, we see the local earth division.
  • The agency operates in a special pocket universe that is separated from the normal flow of time.
  • The agency protect very old times with a shield. And the agency don’t cover very advanced timelines. It operates between 100.000 AD and 20.000 DC. Beyond 20KDC the tech is so advanced that is too complex to operate. Before 100KAD the shield ban time jumps.
  • Is possible to hire yourself to work on the agency. And if you are trans. They pay you for the sex change operation.
  • Bureaucracy is slow, but that don’t matter because the agency work on his own pocket universe. It does not matter that a operation that would take seconds with a computer take weeks of human labor.
  • Everyone on the first day at work want to kill Hitler

Sorry for the oddly specific points. I want to help people that have not seen a time agency before and may think it look cheesy.