Longhorn, aka Windows VISTA?

Yeah I don’t have any problem running the Thief games in XP.

OpenGL was superior. Nowadays? Not so much.

Yeah, really. The committee needs to get their shit together in a big way.

And sully their academic reputation by catering to “game” developers? Hah!

Amazingly, the business analysts at Jupiter Research and Microsoft Monitor that used to lambaste MS over their poor marketing think Vista is a fantastic name!

How about:

Windows Edsel
Windows Pinto
Windows Shizzle
Windows Longtime
Windows Bad Marketing Edition
Windows Fisher Price Edition
Windows Windex
Windows Tinker Toy
Windows Xtreme Spyware Edition
Windows Your Call is Very Important to US Edition
Windows Furby
Windows Special DVD Lockdown Edition
Windows You Don’t Own Your PC
Windows Dell Will Preload It Edition
Windows Viruses Insecurity Script-kiddies Trojans Adware

Also all things that clueful Windows users have access to today, if they want them.

I watched the little announcement video and got a good laugh out of it. Two high up nerds on stage looking awkward from being thrusted into the role of"rock star." Then a purely cliche corporate video trying to make PCs the center of action. Then back to the nerd “rock stars” giving each other a nerd high five (where the whole thing happens from the elbows, not the shoulders). I don’t know, I got a kick out of it.

OpenGL was superior. Nowadays? Not so much.[/quote]

I tend to agree. Much like with anything MS makes after a number of iterations it catches up with the competitors.

– Xaroc

[b]Sure they do[/b].[/quote]
Hey, awesome! I knew about points 1 and 3, but point 2 in that FAQ is a kicker and is where I got frustrated before:

When I try to install Thief nothing happens!
Start the installer and leave it! On some configurations of Windows XP it can take up to an hour for the installer to start.

Anyways, thanks Justin!

This site has a lot of articles on it including a review and pictures the latest build and a FAQ.

Note that 5048 was released a while back at the hardware developer’s conference. It’s representative of only a fraction of what you’ll see in the final product.

Anything for a fellow taffer.

OpenGL was superior. Nowadays? Not so much.[/quote]

I tend to agree. Much like with anything MS makes after a number of iterations it catches up with the competitors.

– Xaroc[/quote]

Although feature-wise it’s now not really better than DirectX (OpenGL 2.0, once implemented, will fix that…), there are other important things about it:

~ Cross-platform, gaining easy entry into the niche markets is a good idea for a small company
~ Open-source, add any features to OpenGL that you want with ease while DirectX is proprietary and if there’s something it doesn’t support, too bad!

Plus I’ve been hearing rumors that the PS3 will be running OpenGL instead of something proprietary from Sony ;).

And sully their academic reputation by catering to “game” developers? Hah![/quote]

Ha ha. Really. I mean, what has game development ever done to advance 3D technology???

Also all things that clueful Windows users have access to today, if they want them.[/quote]

A) Windows doesn’t make it’s money by being the best or most innovative product, it makes it’s money by being a product that has what you want if you’re a common computer user, when you want it, without requiring you to need to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it.

B) Show me a capable window manager that runs with translucent windows, please. I’ve seen hacks and kludges left and right, but actual multi-level translucency isn’t something that any of the programs I’ve looked at can do in a stable fashion. Blitting the entire screen to memory then building an alpha-blended window atop that, and redoing it every time you move the window isn’t stable. It also fails spectacularly with multi-deep windows.

How are translucent windows going to help me be more productive?

Yeah, seriously. That seems totally pointless.

With any luck the new consoles will eliminate my need to run Windows…

Hell, I’d definitely buy it if they called it Microsoft Homer!