Looking for a good single-character RPG

I am in the mood for a good single character RPG. It can be fantasy (I am also in a mood to play a mage), or sci-fi. The idea is that you are not controlling a party, but a single person. Id prefer character a lot of development choices. It can be a 1st person or 3rd person style of game. It would also be great if this game was on sale on steam. I also want it to be too ‘old school’. For example, a long time ago I played fallout 2. It was awesome. I then bought it on steam and started playing again. I get quests like, find object X with almost no clue of where to look. Back in the day I was fine with that, but now that is a bit much for me. I do not have the patience for that kind of thing anymore.

I have many of these games and I am kind of looking for the less well known ones that may be out there.

Ooh ooh I know this one! The Watcher! No wait, that’s not it - The Witchman? Pretty sure that’s it. What do I win?

[shilling intensifies]

UnderRail

Very strong mechanics, a bit light on quests and talking. Exploration is second to none in my opinion. Quest journal could be a little better but the game has an excellent wiki where you can look for hints if you hit a dead end.

Bonus points because you can play as a PSI mage.

dive: If you mean the witcher, that’s why I said less main stream. I already have played that. If it is a AAA title, I am sure I played it a while ago.
Bateau: Yes, underrail is good. To bad I already played it too.,

However, as a PSI mage, I could not get that to work very well. At first it was good, but later on, I kept getting my ass handed to me. I then started a melee character and it was a world of difference.

Maybe Age of Decadence then?

I looked at that. That isn’t really the kind of game I was thinking of. Its more of a pure role-play game. At least it seemed that way when I was watching a lets play of it. I do want combat and adventure. To delve into the haunted forest or crypt or whatever. AoD is more like a political RPG kind of thing it seemed.

What? The Witcher? Ha ha, that’s not even a real thing. No I think it was The Whitman, lots of nature in it as I recall.

Ach, I saw “PSI Mage” and I was hoping that was going to be some sort of bizarre magic system based on tire pressure in the Underrail, and we’d be gathering “pound-force units” or something rather than more goddamn mana.

But it turns out to be just a boring-old “Psi Mage”.

Dark souls 3?

Dark Souls is a main stream game, and as it happens, I own all of them.

Hard to recommend something when you don’t specify what exactly you played already that fits the criteria. I would recommend Gothic 1/2/NOTR and Risen 1 or Vampire Bloodlines but I am sure you already played all those.
Divinity 2 Director’s Cut was also great, Two Worlds 2 was decent.

I think the issue with PSI mages is that you rely on status effects, like stun and whatnot. The problem is that after these effects wear off, everyone gets 2 turns of immunity to them, which makes you fairly defenseless as some melee dude runs up to you and pummels you for 2 rounds. Its hard enough juggling GROUPS of people. The fact that they become immune to CC for 2 rounds pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for the psi mage.

Yeah, I am sorry about that. And yes, I have played all those. I also played risen 2 and 3, but they kind of suck.

I am just hoping someone throws out something obscure that I have not heard of. Really the best guideline is that if it was a very well known title at one point, then cross it off the list. For example, underrail is not a well know title, so that was a good suggestion. Unfortunately there is a forum thread about it, so I got wind of it and bought it.

Here is a link to my steam profile if that helps:

Have you looked at Technomancer? Have not played it yet myself but just found it in the sale while also looking for a new RPG to play.

Din’s Curse.

Victor Vran is pretty fun. Mars: War Logs is clumsy and has low production values, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would (Technomancer is its sequel, but I haven’t played it yet). Seraph is not exactly an RPG, but it’s a pretty good game with some interesting character development. And finally, I heard good things about Dex, though I have yet to play it.

There’s also E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, which is an exotic cyberpunk game that some people absolutely love.

Oh yea, Dex, I reall yliked that one when I did not think I would. Not a terribly deep game though but very fun.

The Game of Thrones RPG is good. Technically you play two characters but you play them one at a time and never as a party. It’s ugly and the voice acting is grim but the story is surprisingly decent.

Also seconded for Mars War Logs, which is a bit of a mess but certainly enjoyable.

Holy shit that inventory screen. :(

Well, there’s the Eschalon series (all available on Steam, IIRC). You play a single character in a top down iso turn based RPG. It’s not a rogue like, mind. It’s like playing a more story driven Ultima I.